shape
carat
color
clarity

!!Need advice for my guy friend buying a Round 2 ct diamond!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LamborghiniGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi everyone,

I have been on this forum for the past few months researching cushion diamonds, which I think I understand pretty well now.

BUT, one of my guy friends is going to propose soon to his girlfriend, and is looking for around a 2 ct, round, excellent cut round brilliant diamond. 100% eye clean, so probably only down to VS2 (he doesn't want to spend time searching through SI1's to find an eye clean one) and lowest I or H in color. I recommended that color range as the lowest he could go because the setting he already chose has F/G side diamonds.

He doesn't have a budget because he doesn't know how much he should expect to pay in this size/parameters mentioned above. He found a 1.98 F triple ex VS1 diamond at the mall store Carlyle & Co., but I told him he may be able to find a just as great diamond for much less online.

I definitely don't know much about rounds-- can you guys suggest some that would fit into the description I gave?
His main thing is that he wants it to "sparkle like crazy"!

Thanks,

LG

LamborghiniGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
The reason I am having trouble searching is I do not know much about the best percentages for rounds so it sparkles like crazy, HCA and ideal girdle thickness.

Going into the pricescope search is like a guessing game for me with rounds!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/1/2009 11:09:49 PM
Author: LamborghiniGirl
The reason I am having trouble searching is I do not know much about the best percentages for rounds so it sparkles like crazy, HCA and ideal girdle thickness.

Going into the pricescope search is like a guessing game for me with rounds!
Lam, we can certainly offer suggestions but if you want to take a look yourself, try the search by cut feature as that will bring up diamonds with HCA results and all the other info you could want.
35.gif

Thats a good diamond Nam found! Here is another which might suit, you would need to email Jon for the info.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/I270111/

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/Whiteflash-ACA-cut-diamond-1466926.htm

LamborghiniGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thanks Namaste and Lorelei--

What do you think about this one?

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4884/

Can you tell if it would be eye clean or is this something I should ask Jon @ Good Old Gold?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/2/2009 12:21:53 PM
Thanks Namaste and Lorelei--

What do you think about this one?

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4884/

Can you tell if it would be eye clean or is this something I should ask Jon @ Good Old Gold?
Hi Lam,

Always ask the vendor if it is eyeclean to your standards, there is no way to tell by images. The diamond looks really good, Jon will be honest with you whether it is eyeclean if you tell him what your expectations are.

LamborghiniGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
How about this one?

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/Whiteflash-ACA-cut-diamond-1466927.htm

I am just trying to get a list going of potential diamonds he could look into with the vendors.

justinislooking

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/2/2009 9:06:50 PM
How about this one?

I am just trying to get a list going of potential diamonds he could look into with the vendors.
Those inclusions look like they may be visible to your eye. You can see them very easily with the 40x mag. They are right on the table. You would definitely need to ask about it to see if it is eye-clean. There are lots of diamonds that are SI1 and I can barely find inclusions with under 40x magnification photos.

Bottom line: You will need to ask someone to look at each diamond for you and verify whether or not it is eye-clean.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/2/2009 9:06:50 PM
How about this one?

I will just fix the link...

This one looks good, ask someone at WF to inspect the diamond to see if it meets expectations for 'eyecleanliness.'

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would also call Brian Gavin diamond @briangavindiamonds.com. He''s is the originator of the ACA, and both he and Lesley''s expert help is invaluable. They will
walk you thru each diamond and find you an awesome stone at a great price.

Racer_x_1981

Rough_Rock
Lam,

Thanks for your help and this website has been been a wealth of information!

The setting I have is a platinum band with 4, 1/8 ct. diamonds on either side of the center mounting for a total of 1.00 tcw on the band. I want the center diamond to really POP! She''s a special woman and I want to be able to reflect on my decision and know that I didn''t take any shortcuts.

Suggestions on size for the center are welcome but I am thinking anything from 1.5 to 2.0 ct. should be sufficient?

LamborghiniGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Racer, I forgot to ask you: How thick is the band? Are the side diamonds channel set or pave or what?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/3/2009 11:30:44 AM
Author: Racer_x_1981
Lam,

Thanks for your help and this website has been been a wealth of information!

The setting I have is a platinum band with 4, 1/8 ct. diamonds on either side of the center mounting for a total of 1.00 tcw on the band. I want the center diamond to really POP! She''s a special woman and I want to be able to reflect on my decision and know that I didn''t take any shortcuts.

Suggestions on size for the center are welcome but I am thinking anything from 1.5 to 2.0 ct. should be sufficient?

Hi racer,

Welcome to Pricescope! Please feel free to start your own thread in Rocky Talk so we can help you there! If you do so then give us an idea of budget and your colour and clarity preferences we can suggest some diamonds which might suit you.

Racer_x_1981

Rough_Rock
http://www.memoire.com/catalog/collections.aspx?products=1806

The setting looks similar to this with the diamonds spanning 50% of the circumfrence and being a little larger.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Racer, just be aware that the setting you have may have a head that can only accommodate a certain size diamond. However, if you work with any of the vendors who have been mentioned so far -- Good Old Gold, Whiteflash, Brian Gavin Diamonds -- they should be able to switch out the head to accommodate whatever size diamond that you buy. So you needen't be limited by the setting you have and its current specs.

I suggest that you narrow your criteria a little re size, or else give us a budget, because there are about a million diamonds out there between 1.5ct and 2.0ct in the color ranges that Lam suggested
2.gif
There is also a large price jump at 2ct, so the best bang for your buck is to get a diamond that is right under 2ct. The interesting thing is that once a diamond gets above 1.5ct, the increases in ct. weight has to be larger for it to be noticable. So a .20ct jump from, say, .80ct to 1.0 ct will be very noticable to even a casual observer, but a similar .20ct jump from 1.7 to 1.9 is much less noticable (greater surface area and all that)... so this is something to bear in mind when making your selection. I think the sweet spot in that range is around 1.7 to 1.80, since it is very very hard to find diamonds in the 1.90ct range (just as it is hard to find diamonds in the .90ct range -- cutters want to hit the 1ct and 2ct marks to get the bigger payoff) and these slightly lower ct. weight stones will look about the same as their larger cousins..

Anyways, you can either contact the vendors mentioned above and tell them what you like and let them find stones for you, which we can then help you assess, or you can give us som parameters and we will help you find something!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
[off topic] Lambogirl, I am a female, but also a "carguy."
2.gif
Do you have a Lambo? If so, could you post a pic in The Hangout? I would love to see it. I have been a lifelong sportscar girl, but recently had to trade in my car--not Lambo level
2.gif
--due to an injury. Living vicariously helps ease the pain
39.gif
[/off topic]

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results