shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice - Diamond Studs

glrmom

Rough_Rock
Hi - I'm shopping for diamond studs. I'd like a pair that is classy and looks like good quality. I'm curious if I1 is acceptable clarity for diamond studs. I'm looking at a pair of 1.4 CTW, G, I1, GIA Triple Excellence. Going down to I1 clarity will really help me get the size I'd love to have. Or, should I go smaller and get better clarity? I've been to various stores and spoken with several "diamond consultants" and get different answers to every question asked! I'm looking at ordering from an online vendor.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I would not do that.

You can find unicorns, virtually eye clean I1 stones, but you'll be searching a good bit. I would maybe focus on eye clean SI2 instead. That can also be a challenge but for studs inclusions may be less bothersome.

What is the budget you are considering?

glrmom

Rough_Rock
Thank you. I really appreciate your response. I don’t really have a budget. I would love 1.4 - 1.5 carat total, but would be willing to even go down to 1 cttw. I see this as a starter pair and can upgrade in a year or so if I want larger. For now, I want something classy, white and shiny (and GIA certified). I saw an I1 in a very nice jewelry store and that made me think maybe they’re okay. Perhaps that one was a unicorn. It was also much pricier than online diamonds.

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
If you want to upgrade soon I's go with Whiteflash (yes they are expensive but with upgrading and such you will probably save money down your stud road). And you could go down in color and clarity to achieve size (but still being sure that the diamonds are cut beautifully).

AV_

Ideal_Rock
As you wish to upgrade, take a look at the upgrade policies - they are quite different.

I1, maybe; if inclusions are at least not large & dark at once, I do not expect to see them, but a blur of brilliance from some directions (eg. large feathers or groups of included crystals would play with light on their own), with studs in hand, of course, as worn they are not exposed enough for such details.

H, I - certainly for the size. I'd be a fool to guess diamond color grades of studs being worn & people grade the wearer anyway.

Then, you may well upgrade grades instead of size & you will know for sure how.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why not compromise on colour a bit too and consider H or I? Don’t forget earrings are only viewed from the front so you won’t see any side tint, also, you’re not looking at them yourself, constantly like in a ring.

Here‘s an I Si1 pair from Whiteflash, how do these compare cost wise to the ones you’ve been looking at?

glrmom

Rough_Rock
Why not compromise on colour a bit too and consider H or I? Don’t forget earrings are only viewed from the front so you won’t see any side tint, also, you’re not looking at them yourself, constantly like in a ring.

Here‘s an I Si1 pair from Whiteflash, how do these compare cost wise to the ones you’ve been looking at?

WF is almost double the price! But, I do understand they’re great quality and anything from there would be nice. I’m absolutely fine with H or I color.

glrmom

Rough_Rock
If you want to upgrade soon I's go with Whiteflash (yes they are expensive but with upgrading and such you will probably save money down your stud road). And you could go down in color and clarity to achieve size (but still being sure that the diamonds are cut beautifully).

Why do you think WF saves $ over time? Added bonus: I live only 10 miles from WF’s store.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
If you want to upgrade, consider the upgrade policies. Many require a double spend. Whiteflash isn't that way, on some lines of their stones.

Miss Marple

Shiny_Rock
If you’re only 10 min from WF, you should visit in person—especially if your plan is to upgrade. WF’s upgrade policy is excellent. You only need to spend $1 more on the diamonds. However, you still pay the cost of a new setting, which may be required.

Also, take a look at J and K colored diamonds. You may find the lower color is acceptable for earrings. excellent cut will amp the sparkle factor.

Ideally, you have one or more diamonds that you can take with you to WF and do an in person comparison in different lighting conditions. Then you can decide whether the premium is worth it to you.

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
You save time, because you don't have to hunt for the perfect diamond. Pretty much any diamond you pick from them will be great quality and beautiful.
And you will (probably) save money if you plan an upgrade. As you won't sell your average studs for the price you bought them. You will get 20% less or even less. So in the long run you save money if you are an upgrader.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results