shape
carat
color
clarity

need advice before buying today

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

simi

Rough_Rock
thanks for all the info. on this site.

i''m trying to decide which of these diamonds to order for tom., but there''s a large price difference in price for what looks like pretty similar stones. the GIA info. is all i can get right now before bringing to an appraiser. any advice of which one to get before spending money on the appraiser?

thanks so much.

diamond 1

Price: $4,508.00
Report: GIA
Shape: Round
Carat: 1.03
Measurements: 6.60-6.64X3.96
Color: H
Clarity: VS2
Depth: 59.8
Table: 58
Girdle: THN-MED F
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Culet: None
Fluorescence: No
Measurements: 6.60-6.64X3.96

diamond 2

Price: $5,040
Report: GIA
Shape: Round
Carat weight: 1.03
Measurements: 6.55x6.65x3.94 mm
Cut: Very Good
Color: H
Clarity: VS2
Depth %: 59.7%
Table %: 58%
Symmetry: Good
Polish: Very good
Girdle: Medium, faceted
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Simi, it's really hard to give any meaningful advice without crown/pav angles.......you should ask the vendor for this info. It could be that one is cut really deep, and would perform horribly.

As an aside, this is exactly why most folks stress getting ideal-scope images. Two diamonds that are seemingly twins, but that's a HUGE price difference....there must be a reason, and I suspect it's because the first one doesn't perform as well. Funny, because by the few numbers given, I'd choose to bring #1 to the appraiser because it's the measurements are more symmetrical and it scores better on pol/sym.

I'd try to get an appraiser to view them both and select it for you if I were in your shoes.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Have you asked for a Sarin report on these stones? They SHOULD be able to give you one. That might clear up the differences. Push to get all the info before you spend money to get it yourself. Vendors should be willing to provide you with it. You need crown and pavilion angles, culet and girdle info.

magna2

Shiny_Rock
I agree that there are not enough information to make a informed decision. As aljdewey stated, on the surface, the first diamond appears to be the better one but there is usually a good reason for the price discrepancy. So if at all possible have both sent to a local independent appraiser so that you can see personally which of the two is best for you (if at all). And if you really only want to spend money for an appraisal on the dimaond that you intend to purchase, then you should get the crown and pavillion angles to further narrow the choice.

rodent.gif

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
Going just by the info you have now, I'd go with stone #1. It's rounder, cheaper, and has better symmetry.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results