shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice ASAP on size of upgraded stone!

cluelessupgrade

Rough_Rock
Hello,

After 16 years of marriage, my husband surprised me this year by telling me he wanted to upgrade my engagement ring as a Christmas present. My original ring was a 3-stone with round diamonds, with a .33 center and .25 sides. We decided to have a 5-stone ring custom designed that would incorporate my original 3 stones with a larger round center stone and add another .33 to flank the center stone. I originally decided on a 1.25 carat center stone, but then prior to ordering, decided that was too small, so we chose a 1.52 center. Now that I've received the ring and finally see it done, I don't know if I'm suffering "Diamond Shrinkage Sydrome" or what, but the center still looks small to me on my 5.25 finger. On the other hand, the stones cover my entire finger, so I'm not sure there's room for a larger center stone. I am thinking of calling the jeweler and asking if they could use my same new setting and swap out the center stone for one slightly larger, maybe 1.7 or 1.8, as large as it will accommodate. (I have no idea if this is even possible, but if it's not, I certainly would NOT want to have another new setting made.) I am wondering if I'm being too picky (not to mention, ungrateful!) and if my ring is fine the way it is. I also think my husband will not be thrilled if I decide to try to swap it out. However, I've waited a long time for this upgrade, and I don't want to upgrade again. Would love thoughts on my existing center stone, which, as I said, is 1.52 carats, with (2) .33 sides and (2) .25 sides and how you think this looks, and whether a larger stone would look better. Thanks much for any advice!

photo_1_5.png

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
It already looks huge on your hand. Upgrading the center stone would overpower the rest of that ring, I wouldn't do it.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agreeing with above, that's already pretty squished in. What I would do, if you really wanted a bigger center, I would put a custom colored stone in your current 5 stone and wear it as an RHR and get my big center to wear as a solitaire.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
WOWZA!! :love: :drool: :love: Definitely not small at all. I don't think you could go any bigger and still be comfy. that ring has GREAT presence on your finger! If more bling is what you're wanting, why not hint at a lovely eternity ring for an anniversary? :think:

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Hello, You have lovely diamonds! :love:

Here's your problem: Too much darling! No capes!
And by that I mean the proportions of your side-stones are generous enough that they overpower your center stone.

I would reset your side-stones into gorgeous 2 stone earrings (Simple, elegant, you'll wear them all the time!), and set your main stone into a plain or pave band.

Or you could set your main stone in a simpler 3 stone setting with your 0.25ct (4mm) sidestones, and set your .33ct stones as studs, or into a romantic Moi et Toi ring.

See?

_858.png

cluelessupgrade

Rough_Rock
Thanks to everyone for your responses!!!

HopeDream, I think you've hit the nail on the head!!! :clap: You're exactly right, as that the center stone looks LARGER when I cover up the side diamonds! And, the whole ring is just bugging me because it seems too wide for my finger. In fact, it's hard to put my fingers together, and when I do, the band goes sideways. As much as I love the 5-stone look, it's not working for me. I'm going to go see my jeweler tomorrow and get some ideas. Hopefully, this won't be a costly mistake. :cry:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Take a deep breath and step back before you make a change. I'm not saying you'll like it more, but I think you need a littl time to figure out what would work for you. I went through the same thing with a blingy five stone. Took me almost a year of wearing it to figure out what I wanted. You can search my threads and see. Good luck, and give yourself time. :)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with others. I would not put a larger stone in that setting. I think you might be better off with a big stone in a halo.
That ring is already stretching all the way across your finger and I think maybe the size of the side stones are making the center
stone look not as big as it really is. I also agree that you shouldn't do anything until you've really figured out what you want.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree that the two .33s are making the center seem smaller than it is. But, a 1.7 or 1.8ct diamond is larger than a 1.5ct, so if that's your real issue then you need to look for a larger diamond. The 1.8 and 2ct diameters are not that different, so it's pretty difficult to tell most 1.8s from a 2 unless you see both together.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like Hopedreams suggestion of making a three stone with the larger diamond and the two smaller stones and using the .33's as earrings.

Of course, that means a whole new setting and I don't know what you have invested in the one that you already had made. I would definitely discuss with your jeweler or perhaps get a quote from one of the more reasonable PS recommended vendors.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I was thinking the same thing the side stones over power the center stone. I would make studs with the two and use smaller stones to enhance that beauty in the center

cluelessupgrade

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your advice!! I really appreciate all the comments. Well, I'm glad to report I decided to come clean with my hubby about my doubts, and thankfully, he gave me his blessing to do whatever I want! (That man is a saint! ha ha!) I am going to go to the jeweler tomorrow and just talk about my concerns and my options. One thing I did learn is that he was given a certificate that allows us to trade in my center stone AT ANY TIME and get complete credit for what we paid for it towards a more expensive stone! I didn't even consider that when we were looking, but I guess that's one of the benefits of going with a local, reputable jeweler that has been in business a very long time. My hubby also gave me the go-ahead to go with the larger stone if I want, so I have lots of options and don't have to rush to make a decision. Whew! :D I'll keep everyone posted. In the meantime, I appreciate any and all thoughts and ideas (and even am interested in knowing if you think it looks fine "as is," as that is also an option right now.) Thanks!

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
I think it's a little too large for a 5 stone ring. A 3 stone design would suffice but the center still will probably still be overwhelmed. Maybe change it to a 3 stone with .25 sides and the .33s as some earrings.

Wendylynne

Shiny_Rock
heididdl|1451353816|3967643 said:
I was thinking the same thing the side stones over power the center stone. I would make studs with the two and use smaller stones to enhance that beauty in the center

+2 Love the classic three stone..

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
It sure is a beauty I would keep it for awhile it might grow on you has there is no rush

I like the idea some have already gone for 3 stone using smaller diamonds earrings for the 33s
I like setting CS (or smaller diamond to give a eternity ring look) in 5 stone and a complete reset for solitaire or larger diamond in maybe a halo to give more coverage

wow options are endless whats your budget can we help :saint: can we have more pictures just in the name of research lol

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For reference, here is a 2.22 center stone with .33 side stones. I'm thinking that the smaller side stones on the end of your current ring might be the better compliment for your stone for a three stone ring and then maybe use the .33 side stones in another way - maybe earrings as someone suggested.

I don't think you'd be able to go with a larger center and keep the five stone design. My vote would be to do what I said above or upgrade your current center stone to accommodate the .33 stones. It's all a game of ratios and design but hopefully you and your jeweler will be able to come up with something that you love and that will be comfortable. If it is pinching into your finger now, it will just get less and less wear.

_35839.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results