shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice about WF 1.28ct G SI1 ACA H&A I just received

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Snarleyow

Rough_Rock
Yesterday I received this diamond from WF: http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/Diamond_Details.aspx?idno=1466977

On Friday I will be comparing it, using Idealscope, loupe, etc. to stones at the B&M where I''m getting the setting. The B&M is bringing in stones based on the numbers WF requires for stones to meet their ACA rating. I had looked at what they had in-store before and was not impressed, so I showed them the ACA specs so they could source some stones they think are comparable.

I''ve been examining the stone from WF for the past day. It is very nice, but I must admit that the Idealscope image on their site looks much better than when I view it using my Idealscope. There seems to be quite a bit of pink vs. the red in the on-line image. A bigger concern is that the table seems to indicate a deeper stone, or substantial leakage, rather than the dark red(maybe reddish gray) of the on-line image. I was just surprised at how light the table color looks. Do the numbers indicate a deeper stone than I thought? The HCA numbers look great to me. Am I just being a dope? I hope so.

Also, the H&A seem to show up much darker and crisper on their web site photo than they do when I view the stone first-hand. Perhaps the camera intensifies that pattern.

Don''t get me wrong, it''s a very pretty stone. I just wasn''t as blown away as I thought I''d be.

I guess either my expectations were unrealistically high or I''m using the Idealscope wrong or I am not accounting for WF using the best possible images they can on the site.

When I compare it to the other stones Friday I will know definitively whether I''ll stay with the WF stone or not. Perhaps when I see them side by side the WF ACA advantage will be obvious and I''ll have to come back and sheepishly post about what a Nervous Nellie I am!

Another thing: There were no instructions with the WF viewer and tweezers. The tweezers were easy enough to figure out, but I am curious about the viewer. Looking through it one way is like using a loupe, just magnifying the image. Looking through the other end it''s sort of like an Idealscope, but the colors are quite different. Also, with an Idealscope you either put it on the viewing plate(with the indentations to hold the diamond) on the Idealscope Light or hold it up to diffused light using tweezers. With the WF viewer there is included a black disc with an indentation that the diamond fits into. Seems odd to me to view it using a black background. A little "Diamond Vioewing for Dummies" sheet would have been great. I guess I figured it out ok, but I''ve never bought a dimaond before in my life, so I''m a bit lost! :(

Ok guys, sock it to me!

Snarleyow

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/1/2008 12:00:50 PM
Author:Snarleyow
Yesterday I received this diamond from WF: http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/Diamond_Details.aspx?idno=1466977

On Friday I will be comparing it, using Idealscope, loupe, etc. to stones at the B&M where I''m getting the setting. The B&M is bringing in stones based on the numbers WF requires for stones to meet their ACA rating. I had looked at what they had in-store before and was not impressed, so I showed them the ACA specs so they could source some stones they think are comparable.

I''ve been examining the stone from WF for the past day. It is very nice, but I must admit that the Idealscope image on their site looks much better than when I view it using my Idealscope. There seems to be quite a bit of pink vs. the red in the on-line image. A bigger concern is that the table seems to indicate a deeper stone, or substantial leakage, rather than the dark red(maybe reddish gray) of the on-line image. I was just surprised at how light the table color looks. Do the numbers indicate a deeper stone than I thought? The HCA numbers look great to me. Am I just being a dope? I hope so.

Also, the H&A seem to show up much darker and crisper on their web site photo than they do when I view the stone first-hand. Perhaps the camera intensifies that pattern.

Don''t get me wrong, it''s a very pretty stone. I just wasn''t as blown away as I thought I''d be.

I guess either my expectations were unrealistically high or I''m using the Idealscope wrong or I am not accounting for WF using the best possible images they can on the site.

When I compare it to the other stones Friday I will know definitively whether I''ll stay with the WF stone or not. Perhaps when I see them side by side the WF ACA advantage will be obvious and I''ll have to come back and sheepishly post about what a Nervous Nellie I am!

Another thing: There were no instructions with the WF viewer and tweezers. The tweezers were easy enough to figure out, but I am curious about the viewer. Looking through it one way is like using a loupe, just magnifying the image. Looking through the other end it''s sort of like an Idealscope, but the colors are quite different. Also, with an Idealscope you either put it on the viewing plate(with the indentations to hold the diamond) on the Idealscope Light or hold it up to diffused light using tweezers. With the WF viewer there is included a black disc with an indentation that the diamond fits into. Seems odd to me to view it using a black background. A little ''Diamond Vioewing for Dummies'' sheet would have been great. I guess I figured it out ok, but I''ve never bought a dimaond before in my life, so I''m a bit lost! :(

Ok guys, sock it to me!

Snarleyow

No socking necessary.

You are using probably the standard Idealscope while they may well be using the Pro version or one that is modified to allow them to take better photos. The red that you see in real life will be a pinker color than shows in the camera image, that happens with my photos here too. (I know, I know, it is a poor craftsman who blames his tools, but photograhy of gems is NOT easy.)

Your point about the instructions is well taken and I will speak to my staff about it too. No matter how smart we vendors think we are there is always something we could do better.

I am sure though, that a call to WhiteFlash will result in someone walikng you through the process!

Wink

Snarleyow

Rough_Rock
No socking necessary.

You are using probably the standard Idealscope while they may well be using the Pro version or one that is modified to allow them to take better photos. The red that you see in real life will be a pinker color than shows in the camera image, that happens with my photos here too. (I know, I know, it is a poor craftsman who blames his tools, but photograhy of gems is NOT easy.)

Your point about the instructions is well taken and I will speak to my staff about it too. No matter how smart we vendors think we are there is always something we could do better.

I am sure though, that a call to WhiteFlash will result in someone walikng you through the process!

Wink
Thank you Wink.

Since I''m in PA I got the Idealscope kit from Dave Atlas'' company in Philly. Had a choice between the 5x and 10x, so I went with the 10x. Idealscope calls it their "Professional" kit. I don''t know but I suppose WF and other firms may use a commercial version that is different than that available to consumers.

PSers, I''d appreciate any perspectives on the diamond: http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/Diamond_Details.aspx?idno=1466977#

Is this the top quality stone? Anything in the numbers concerning at all? I know pros from other vendors may not wish to opine on other vendors'' wares, but I''d appreciate feedback from the PS community on the diamond I bought.

As the WF rep indicated to me, it is eye-clean as far as I can see, so I''m happy with the clarity. Am also very happy with the color and carat. I''m just wondering if the cut, especially the fire/brilliance/light return are what they should be.

Thanks.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope, from all the available data on the website, the stone looks wonderful. Good buy. :)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/1/2008 5:25:48 PM
Author: Snarleyow

Thank you Wink.

Since I'm in PA I got the Idealscope kit from Dave Atlas' company in Philly. Had a choice between the 5x and 10x, so I went with the 10x. Idealscope calls it their 'Professional' kit. I don't know but I suppose WF and other firms may use a commercial version that is different than that available to consumers.

PSers, I'd appreciate any perspectives on the diamond: http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/Diamond_Details.aspx?idno=1466977#

Is this the top quality stone? Anything in the numbers concerning at all? I know pros from other vendors may not wish to opine on other vendors' wares, but I'd appreciate feedback from the PS community on the diamond I bought.

As the WF rep indicated to me, it is eye-clean as far as I can see, so I'm happy with the clarity. Am also very happy with the color and carat. I'm just wondering if the cut, especially the fire/brilliance/light return are what they should be.

Thanks.
You have bought one of the cream of the crop, and very tightly cut to boot. They really don't get much better than this. Now, relax, and enjoy.
2.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would never worry about buying an ACA diamond. They are top quality diamonds. The best they sell. Have you seen the cut advisor tool? You put the numbers in and it gives you a result about the light return, scintillation and fire. It also lets you know if its a good spread for its weight.

Yours scores 1.1 which is fab. Anything under 2 is a great choice. Have a look for yourself
1.gif

http://www.pricescope.com/cutadviser.asp

Hope that helps.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I can''t wait til Friday. I hope you share not only your impressions of the stones but their prices as well.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Snarley, no worries on the idealscope.
2.gif

I think the difference between what you see in person and our image on the website stems from a few things. How red or pink the pattern appears can be influenced by how bright the light source is that you''re using.

Also, as a vendor having to produce these images, we have a super-controlled lighting environment that''s best suited to display the pattern well.

Beyond that, the human eye sees so many more subtle variances than the camera can capture.

The idealscope is designed to help identify leakage, and while the colors may not be as vibrant as they photograph, you shouldn''t see differences in leakage.

Snarleyow

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/1/2008 6:54:11 PM
Author: swingirl
I can''t wait til Friday. I hope you share not only your impressions of the stones but their prices as well.
Thanks to everyone for your help and reassurances.

I will post as soon as I can after Friday''s appointment to let you know what I find out.

RichDD

Rough_Rock
I''m doing a similar thing with a WF stone I''m receiving soon, so I''ll be interested to hear what you find out.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results