shape
carat
color
clarity

Need a stone suggestion for this setting, please?

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Need a stone suggestion for this setting, please? This is a Granat setting that I purchased from a PSer.

First, a bit of humor. I have a great benchperson but they have quite unknowledgable counter people. The counter people have been there for years - so no excuses for them. I ADORE this setting. ADORE. And it's a Granat and near an antique/an antique. Anyway, I brought it there to have the benchperson measure it for what size stone I need. It came without a stone; the one in the setting is the prior owners and was removed prior to sale. I told the counter person, who I know fairly well, that I found it on a jewelry site. She sort of wrinkles her nose, "But it's used." Then, "you know, you can get this plated to make it look white gold if you want." :-o

Anyway, I'm thinking it should have a killer blue sapphire, as I don't have that many blues in my rings. I think it would look nice in this setting. (I don't want red, as I already have an antique setting w. a red spinel.)

It only needs a 3.5 mm stone. I thinking about a top quality sapphire, like a Jeff White type or so (with glow and velvet and all) but I'm wondering if it would be worth it as does a 3.5 mm stone have any visual impact. Also, do those types of vendors have top quality minis (3.5 mms)? Note that I do tend to prefer smaller stones. What price range do great 3.5 mms sapphires go for?

Other color/type stone suggestions welcome, also. While we are at it, anyone have a guess as to the date of this setting?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous setting! I can see either a ruby or tsavorite in it.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Ah, Chrono, you dear person - you always come to help me. xxxooo to you !

Thanks, yes, this setting makes me heart sing. It truly is Art. It transports me to a different period in time; a nicer one, perhaps. I feel honored to own it. The shank is a bit thin, not due to wear but because it is how they made them in that time. I really want the ring one size smaller (as I have to put it on my middle finger and I'm a fourth finger type wearer) and with a wider shank but can't bring myself to have anyone do that as it would loose some of it's "original/historic" feel. Does that make any sense or I'm being silly and thinking about it too much?

When she said I could white gold plate it - :-o

Sorry for the ramble. As you can see, I adore it so and I could keep talking about how I love it and why . . .

Actually, I knew you'd say a red stone and I almost put your name in my original post to say, "Chrono, I don't want to do a red stone, as . . .". :lol:

Red would be great but as I said, I've already got an awesome red spinel in an nice antique repro setting so wanted to change it up. Tsav - o.k., I didn't think of that. I do like tsavs with yellow gold. You are right, though, red would fit it the best.

So, I guess that is a not really/not so much on the blue sapphire. I can see that. I supposed that is why it's remained stoneless for a year or so, now. (I guess there is no law against having two antique settings with red stones, though, so maybe.) Time to go get a few different color "can't mention them here's" perhaps, in 3.5 mms, to pop them and see what works. Again, sorry for the ramble.

Thanks so very much !

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Sonoma --- do you not like sapphires or blue or do you just have a few already? I can see a strong colour in there, like the ruby, tsav or sapphire, as it would really make a POP to the ring, but what about a pearl or a moonstone which were popular in the era of the ring. Would you consider adding a smaller OEC/OMC? (yes, you asked coloured stone, I'm just being a rebel - :lol: !)

An amethyst in a really deep purple would be pretty cool too! What's your birthstone? or kids birthstones? dh's? (if applicable) or favourite colour??

If you went opaque, a sunstone may pull up the golden tones, or a mexican fire opal - or a black opal (but probably less likely to come in that size) or a labradorite - I love the moodiness of those!

Are you good with photoshop? think you could plop a few internet stones into the setting to test drive on your computer screen? I know I can barely type, let alone work a program like photoshop, but there are a few gifted PSers who may be able to do that for you....

Fun dilemma!

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much, E ! No, I Love sapphires ! In fact, that is, sort of, what I want as I don't have many blue sapphires. I'm not totally feeling a blue sapphire for this setting, though. Almost, but not quite. Not quite the antiquey feel, perhaps?

Moonstone is a nice idea, actually. Pearl - love pearls but I'm not quite feeling it for this one. OEC (a really chunky, with huge fluorescence and a large culet) could very well happen. Diamonds are, sort of, neutral and I couldn't regret that choice much. However, I've got a good couple of diamonds around (not that that matters and wanted to go for something that I don't have that many of; although I should, I guess, first and foremost go with what works for this setting). I'm not quite feeling the dark amethyst. My son & I are October; I love pink (Oct. = tourmaline). That almost works for me with this setting; strong possibility; what shade of pink to still look antiquey? Sunstone would be similar to what the person I bought it from had in it and it did look nice. (Please excuse the run on sentences/fused sentences in this paragraph, btw.)

I really appreciate your input.

I've surely been doing paralysis by analysis with this setting. Sometimes I wear it, even with no center, when I feel the need - (kind of crazy, yes).

I don't know how to Photoshop. I should learn.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
:appl: Yippee! I had a good idea :bigsmile:

Opal would be amazing in there - it works for you and your son and the white, just like the pearl or moonstone, would really stand out in the YG. I like that idea! Moonstone is the 'travellers stone' (do you travel?) and it is also an alternate to June's birthstone - also the pearl. Yeah, I'm all about stupid trivia --- did you pick up on that?? ;))

Are you going for delicate, neutral or pop? I think that will help guide your colour decision. Delicate - pink/white; neutral - diamond (oh, and who wouldn't love a pastel/fluro OEC in there???) or the yellow/orange tones of the sunstone or even a butterscotch coloured moonstone ( :!: ) and pop would be the stronger intense hues.

If you can get to a craft store where they have little coloured stones, maybe you can pop a few into the setting to get a sense of what appeals to you the most.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I'm all about stupid trivia --- did you pick up on that?? ;))

That & I call it that you know your gemstones !

Travel - not much. With a young(ish) son & working full time, life is too crazy.

Opal, cool, interesting option. Are opals strong enough to maintain their integrity in a 3.5 mm size?

The look I'm going for - first period piece, then delicate. (I guess that cancels blue sapphire.) Cannot do a pyrope garnet, though. Just can't.

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hey Sonoma,

Im not much into the jewelry side of things, just wanted to comment on 'can't do a pyrope garnet'. Have you seen the Pyrope's from Arizona? The "anthill" garnets? They are colored by Chrome--like a Ruby--and have such a pure red. The red flash from a Chrome Pyrope has no rival!! The only problem with the anthill Garnets is that they only come in smaller sizes, but here you are looking for a really small stone, that would be a great option.

Sure, its red, but, its completely different from a Ruby or Spinel. Just because its "pyrope" doesnt mean its brownish, cheap, etc. My Chrome Garnets are among my favorite stones....

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hey Sonoma,

Im not much into the jewelry side of things, just wanted to comment on 'can't do a pyrope garnet'. Have you seen the Pyrope's from Arizona? The "anthill" garnets? They are colored by Chrome--like a Ruby--and have such a pure red. The red flash from a Chrome Pyrope has no rival!! The only problem with the anthill Garnets is that they only come in smaller sizes, but here you are looking for a really small stone, that would be a great option.

Sure, its red, but, its completely different from a Ruby or Spinel. Just because its "pyrope" doesnt mean its brownish, cheap, etc. My Chrome Garnets are among my favorite stones....

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
I was meaning the brownish red pyrope. Yes, I LOVE Ant Hills. They are spectacular. I have 3 in fact - I think a pair of 4 mms. and a 6 mm. Hmm, the 4 mms were going to be earrings but I should go see if either fits into this setting. Excellent !!

Now, mind you, some pyropes look great in antique jewelry. I'm just not digging a brownish red for this setting. Thanks, Chris (M).

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sonoma - your ring is TDF!!! So much so that I was googling around to learn more about Granat Bros. and came across this - I thought you might be interested in it for your lovely ring! I'm sorry I have no knowledge or advice to share about what to put in it, but I sure can't wait to see what you do!!

http://www.etsy.com/listing/105606695/vintage-granat-brothers-jewelers-ring

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I think you've already had some great suggestions. If it were me, I'd go with a tsavorite, but I'm biased; I prefer green over red in almost any circumstance. I want to add that an intensely colored stone of 3.5mm will still have impact! I have a tiny 3mm Russian demantoid that has a stunning electric green color. Despite the small size, I think the color can be seen from across the room!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I think a nice blue or blue/violet sapphire would look great in that setting.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kismet|1345032770|3251718 said:
I think a nice blue or blue/violet sapphire would look great in that setting.

I agree! I know that's what you wanted but it didn't seem to be the consensus so I kept my mouth shut, but I think a blue sapph would be totally gorgeous! In fact, there's one I have been ogling that is just shy of 3mm (wait, you need 3.5mm, right?) that is Kashmir origin with NO treatment and what looks to be a gorgeous color...

http://www.starruby.in/store/kashmir-sapphires/0-23-carat-velvety-vivid-royal-blue-flawless-kashmir-sapphire

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
sonoma - your ring is TDF!!!
Thanks Rainy ! A word that came to my mind when I first got it (and still) was "Seriously?" as in the type of "Seriously?" you'd say when you see lots of the winning numbers on your lotto ticket. Then you blink your eyes in disbelief. I sent the Etsy person an e-mail. That was very, very thoughtful of you, btw. I wish I could find more info. out there on Granat. There is some info but not much. Sometimes you see Granat rings at Ruby Lane (but I like mine the best, if I do say). Not that one needs to compare but I've got a VanCraeynest band, that while lovely, does not warm my heart/move me like this Granat. Also, thanks for the Star Ruby link. Probably too small though. We tried a 3 mm in it at the jewelers last weekend and the 3.5 mm was best. What is going on in the second photo of that Star Ruby stone, do you think, btw?

Thanks Kismet ! I really appreciate your input on this. :)

Thanks Jstar.
I have a tiny 3mm Russian demantoid
Yes ! I so here you on this as I think I have the sister/brother to your demantoid. Mine, also, is 3 mm. and wonderfully cut. It does dispersion, colored light flashes like you can't believe (think blinking Christmas tree lights). I didn't know anything 3 mms could pack a punch like that, right? (It is too light of a green color for this setting, though.)

You all just inspired me to go through my saved e-mails and find what the person I had bought this setting from told me about it, just fyi:

"I found it at an odds and ends store in when I lived in the mid-west. They didn't specialize in antiques or jewelry, and I knew about the Granat name through a friend and understood the value of die-struck pieces. So it was a true treasure hunting experience. I took it to Larry Van Craeynest to verify that it was die-struck. He had acquired some Granat Bros dies, though this particular design was not among his collection. He did say for certain this ring was made using a "v" die."

While I do picture other colors working better in it, I have to admit, I think I have to say that I'm drawn to a killer 3.5 mm sapphire for it. Where to look or who to ask?

Thanks all.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand perfectly about leaving the setting 100% in its original condition, not even resizing it. For something simply too beautiful, I'd be like you on that too. Recently, I saw an amazing small blue sapphire in an antique setting like yours so I can picture a blue stone in there too. Whatever your choice, it seems suited to having a super saturated and "strongly" coloured gemstone.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey that sounds like you are almost at a decision, sonomacounty! Its going to be a blue baby? hahaha!!! At least you had a whack of options to think about and consider and picture in your head, and now you've narrowed it down. I'm like that to - I have to see 100 things before I can get down to about 2 - 3. THen the real "work" comes in, to make that final choice!!

Post some stones when you find them - love to see what the options are!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol, I was wondering what was up with the second pic (of the starruby sappy) too - I assumed it was super duper wonky to get the best color out of it? I dunno, it's kinda scary looking from that view though! Like a pulled tooth, or something.

It's so funny you should mention VC. I just got a setting from them and while I do love it, as soon as I saw your pictures I said dangit THAT's what I want!! Why is it I always find the *perfectly perfect* thing after I finally give in and just order something already?? Of course, I couldn't just walk into a jeweler and get your ring, so I suppose there is some consolation in that. It really is exquisite. If you had said that VC *did* have the die for it, and could reproduce it, I think I might have passed out. And cried. ;-) :oops:

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
OK, Rainy, you convinced me that I should get the Granat ring tray. I figured it would pay some homage to those who made my spectacular one. I'm discussing shipping & such with them right now, as it is glass and I'm on the opposite side of the US as the seller. I think it will have a place in the china cabinet. And, yes, I think if they did have the die for it, I'd also cry and pass out.

I understand perfectly about leaving the setting 100% in its original condition, not even resizing it. For something simply too beautiful, I'd be like you on that too."

Ah, you get it (I'm not surprised.) Thanks, Chrono. Thanks for saying that I'm not thinking silly. I'm so not a middle finger ring wearer but to alter it would be akin to cutting down the Mona Lisa to fit a certain picture frame. :nono: (And, it has the trademark in the shank.)

I want to research Granat more and try to find out more about them. I've done some searching (not a lot) and have some info. but not much. If any of you see ever see anything about them, do drop me a line, please.

Art is supposed to move you/transport you somewhere else, I think, and as such, this setting is that. I wish I could find Mr. Granat (long gone) and give him a big hug and kiss (and get 5 more of these).

(Sorry for going on and on. I hope it wasn't obnoxious.)

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh sonoma, that's wonderful! I hope you are able to work out the shipping and it arrives safe and sound!

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Lots, Rainy. (I did buy it. I just requested that the seller go crazy with the bubble wrap, boxes & shipping tape, etc.)

I was corresponding with the Etsy seller and she found the tray at an estate sale in Northern Calif. (which makes sense). She said she has done some Granat research and found this: "Granat Brothers was on the corner of Mission and 20th Streets in San Francisco for several decades before being bought by Zales in the ’60s, but back in the teen era of the early 20th century they sponsored baseball teams in the San Francisco Midwinter League."

Here is a Granat currently for sale at Ruby Lane:

http://www.rubylane.com/item/820861-RL-6/Granat-Brothers-Art-Deco-Platinum

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thanks 1001. Well, I did find this on the net somewhere. Hope you all don't mind me adding some historical info. on Granat to this thread. This sounds like them and Russian they were.:

"I did some research and found that Wed-Lok was a system of binding an engagement ring to wedding band. The wedding band had two prongs on it that fit into two holes on the engagement ring. They snapped and fit together so they wouldn't slide around without soldering the ring together. The man who developed the Wed-Lok system was named Granat. He and his brother immigrated from Russia and became jewelers in California in the 1920's. The Wed-Lok system was patented in 1932."
------------------

Found this on the net, too:

"I have to go to second hand information on this one, passed onto me by my Father, a jeweler from 1947 until the early 21st century. According to that, Granat Brothers was a manufacturer and retailer. They produced high quality die struck mountings. The retail end of the operation was acquired by Zale corporation in the 1960s, and the manufacturing end was acquired by someone else. This party continued to make mountings, without the Granat Brothers name, on sub-contracts with other jewelry firms. J. C. Keppie, a fine diamond firm specializing in Ideal Cut diamonds, sold some of these mountings in the 1970s and 1980s, but they bore the J. C. Keppie mark, not the Granat mark.

When Granat mountings were no longer available from Granat, Dad's store acquired the Jabel line, which they felt was comparable to Granat for high quality.

The retail operation was in San Francisco, and I think Zales made it part of their guild store division, along with Bailey, Banks, and Biddle and some of the other fine quality stores they acquired.

One thing I am sure of: When Dad got married in 1950 he went with a Granat Brothers mounting, because it was the finest available."

----------------

Photo of Granat Bros. building in 1927, see Pg. 8.

http://www.sf-planning.org/ftp/file...0th_Streets_Historic_District_Record.pdf[/url

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results