shape
carat
color
clarity

Need a ring

eye_seecolor

Rough_Rock
Hi~ I'm recovering from unbelievable disappointment from a flawed experience with a diamond retailer. After 14 weeks, my engagement ring was canceled due to poor workmanship and quality control. I am heart-broken and trying to move forward as my life has been on hold since July, patiently waiting for my oh so special and perfect engagement ring to make the announcement of my pending nuptials. In a nutshell, I chose a 1.5 carat cushion cut E VS2 diamond with pave diamond setting + 2 additional pave diamond wedding bands. I can not even contemplate choosing a similar ring. I am beyond disappointed!

Good news! I finally decided to ring shop again. I came across the Ashoka trilogy diamond~ stunning!!! It is an amazing ring. I found a retailer and was able to try the ring on~ it's perfect. My hesitation: the center stone is H VS2. Although the ring is gorgeous, the H grade is a concern because I have a very good eye and can detect some color. (The ring retails for 17K.) I am trying to reconcile my innate ability to detect color w/naked eye by researching the Ashoka diamond. I have found very little information. This brings me to my question regarding an emerald cut diamond in a trilogy design. Would a better option be to buy a loose emerald stone with higher color grade from James Allen and then pick a trilogy setting? 1.5 carat E VS2. Suggestions are welcomed…I'm ready to have my ring more importantly, I'm ready to share my news. Fiance just wants to make the purchase and make me happy. We are anxious and leary.

Thank You~ Diamond Experts!!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm no expert on the Ashoka cut. I've seen a few IRL, and they were at Harrod's in London. I'm from CA, so I'm guessing they are not commonly found among retailers. If the H color bothers you now, it's not going to go away. I think it will only get more pronounced over time. It also depends on how much you love the Ashoka cut. If that is your priority, can you search around for one in a higher color? If I am not mistaken, $17K for a 1.5 H is quite a bit. Not at all cheap. Maybe that has to do with the rarity of the cut.

For example, check out the price of this 1.5 E.
http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/1.5ct-e-vs2-emerald-cut-diamond.html

If you just think the Ashoka cut is cool, but not a must have, and you want an emerald cut, I would focus on getting the highest color emerald that I can, of course a great cut, and probably nothing lower than a VS2. That's just me about the clarity. I have mind clean issues. But I am also very color sensitive, especially with step cuts. My MRB is an F, and sometimes I wish I got an E instead.

I have a feeling this is a gorgeous diamond.
http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/1-9ct-g-vs2-emerald-cut-diamond.html

I bet this would be very pretty too, if you want to hit the 2 carat mark.
http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/2ct-f-vs2-emerald-cut-diamond.html

And both of the above are under $17K...

I would only buy a step cut if I could see it IRL. Good Old Gold does videos... :razz:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
So you like rectangular cuts?

I saw an Ashoka once. It was nice. Similar to a Tycoon cuts. One thing I noticed about Tycoon cuts was that instead of the cut masking the tint in the stone's body color, it seemed to instead emphasize it. I looked through a whole display of them, and when I was trying to guess the colors I was shocked. The H's looked like J's.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

eye_seecolor

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your replies…your expertise is very much appreciated. I'm finding this to be a very confusing process. A beautiful ring and peace of mind => all smiles!! This is a very technical arena for an inexperienced (illiterate) diamond shopper.

The Ashoka diamond most similar to radiant, cushion or emerald cut??
Since I'm very color sensitive, which 4Cs should take priority? I'm sure this is dependent upon the cut of the stone, however, right now I'm just overwhelmed. So perhaps foundational tips and suggestions to help build my knowledge base if anyone has the time to offer.

Much appreciated!

eye_seecolor

Rough_Rock
Gypsy~ thank you for your time and energy in offering suggestions. I've tried the links that you provided in this post but they are not working. Can you repost the links again? Thanks~

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
All of them??? :-o

None of them are working? Hmm. That's strange. Let me see.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are you on a phone? Or a tablet?

If so the that might be why the links aren't working. I'm double checking them all, but... they are all working for me, and when I go to 'correct them' all I am doing is cutting and pasting the same link. So...

Can anyone else check and let me know if they are having issues with the links please?

Q

Queenie60

Gypsy|1447914233|3951622 said:
Are you on a phone? Or a tablet?

If so the that might be why the links aren't working. I'm double checking them all, but... they are all working for me, and when I go to 'correct them' all I am doing is cutting and pasting the same link. So...

Can anyone else check and let me know if they are having issues with the links please?
Hi Gypsy: All links work for me!! Using an apple laptop.

eye_seecolor

Rough_Rock
Easy fix~ I had to change my browser. Links work ..thanks!!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the Ashoka, but I will say that emerald cuts seem more... Classic. No?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
eye_seecolor|1447932371|3951659 said:
Easy fix~ I had to change my browser. Links work ..thanks!!

Whew!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results