shape
carat
color
clarity

Need a petite mid-length winter coat ... Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
After almost falling down the stairs THREE times last weekend by my boot heel getting caught in the back hem of my coat I''ve resigned myself to the fact that I need a mid-length (so knee-ish length) warm--but stylish!--coat. I had exactly one hour last Sunday to shop for one and I came home with two from Macy''s, one of which (the one I liked more actually
8.gif
) got ix-nayed by the HH. The thing that I thought made it look "cute" he thought made it look "frumpy." The other one is OK. Fine. Really nothing wrong with it. But I don''t love it. Plus, the sleeves are too long and I really hate the idea of having to get them hemmed because it will take my dry cleaners until NEXT Thursday to get it back, and they''ll charge me an arm and a leg. So, I need a *petite* size knee length stylish coat in a non-wacky color. Any ideas?

Beacon

Ideal_Rock

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beacon, I tried this one the other day and LOVED the way it felt but they only had it in my size in the green/gray mix and I wasn't digging that. Is your's the super dark almost black grey or something lighter? I'm trying to get something not black because of The Demon's hair, LOL.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Yes mine is the dark grey, off black. This ad I posted does not show the dark grey color. It's an ok choice for a dog hair situation as the alpaca sort of has it's own texture.

I like it cause it is roomy enuf to wear a blazer underneath comfortably.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm... I''m going to try to zip up to a local mall tomorrow to see what they''ve got and I''ll give this one another try. You''re right about the alpaca texture--I love it!

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
I don't own this coat, but really like the look:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2957707/0~2376788~6002242~6007533~6007557?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6007557&P=1

I love this coat (link below). I would have purchased it if I thought we would ever have enough cold weather to justify it. Today it was 70 degrees out
10.gif

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2954186/0~2376788~6002242~6007533~6007557?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6007557&P=2

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Libster, I LOVE the first coat with the large shawl collar. I actually tried it on the other day but I''m a little... um... *busty* and it kind of accentuates the girls. But if I could pull that off at all I would buy that coat in a heartbeat!

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Dee Jay: I am a bit late on this post (perhaps you already bought one?) just in case.Have you considered Alpaca coat? No animal cruelty they just harvest the wool from them.I recently got one and its so soft and warm and not heavy really nice feel to it and they have many styles to pick from.I don''t ( yet ) know how to put a www link for you here , but you will find lots of them if you do a search.I got mine from the store as they are now on sale ( end of the season)Good luck to you..

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/7/2008 9:19:43 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
Libster, I LOVE the first coat with the large shawl collar. I actually tried it on the other day but I''m a little... um... *busty* and it kind of accentuates the girls. But if I could pull that off at all I would buy that coat in a heartbeat!

I love it too and understand all too well about the "busty" issue! Hope you find something cute and warm.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What an adventure! I went the whole way out to some mall that had a Macy's, Bloomies, Nordies, and Lord and Taylor, only to come home and find a Hillary Radley that I liked--on clearance for $112!--at the Filene's Basement less than a mile from my house.
20.gif
It's shorter than what I was thinking, but I think it'll do just fine. It's alpaca, and it's called the swing coat, with a large triangular collar. The only photos I can find on line show them doing something goofy with the collar, but if you button it and turn it down it's really cute, and also tight up to the neck so that's a plus.

Thanks all for the help! Having you guys around is like going shopping with my girlfriends, LOL.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's this one: http://www1.bloomingdales.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=97859&CategoryID=2910&PartnerID=SHP&cm_mmc=PMD-_-Shopping.com-_-Product_Terms-_-Hilary_Radley_Swing_Coat

I got it in black, even though I was trying *not* to get black, but it was so cute I couldn't help myself. It falls a big longer on me (like past my butt) than it does on the model. My only fear that is the collar might be a tad too big for a short girl, but I've decided to get over that.

I also kept the dark brown coat that I got at Macy's a few days ago (I returned the grey one) and I turned the sleeves up one turn and sewed them inside to the lining and they look pretty good. Not perfect, but pretty good.

ETA: OK, clearly I'm a dumbf*ck. Now that I look at the link that is NOT my coat. The coat I got kind of "crosses over" and buttons only at the neck under the collar, not going down the front like the one in the pic. Anyway, the basic concept is pretty much the same.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results