shape
carat
color
clarity

Need a pear shaped engagement ring

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
It's been a few years since I been active on PS. I've been biding my time with locally sourced antique pieces and haven't been in need of any new diamonds since I have my basics covered.

Last night my husband was asked for his sister's hand in marriage. It was sweet and awkward and a little unnecessary, but thoughtful none the less. He also asked my husband to ask me for help with the ring.

This is what I know.

100% needs to be Pear shaped
90% sure it needs a halo
She likes pave
She likes unusual jewelry
100% it's nowhere on her radar even though they have been together for several years and they are amazing together.
Budget is $5000 tops, but I get the impression he would be more comfortable between $3k-$4k and I would like to stay around there.

I've been looking at James Allen for baseline idea of what's out there. Is there somewhere else I should look? Any suggestions where to look at settings?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Adiamor
Pretty large for its size
Another on the larger side
Nice G

Halo settings

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
Adiamor
Pretty large for its size
Another on the larger side
Nice G

Halo settings

Thank you so much. I feel so out of the loop. I'm reading threads and I'm like "grading labs merged ???" "Lab diamonds are going mainstream???" Man I feel old.

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, GIA bought out AGS. Lots of people are buying lab diamonds these days. Really depends on the couple. Obviously,
he could go a lot larger on the diamond if he goes lab but if she is not expecting this it may be hard to know how she feels
about lab diamonds.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, GIA bought out AGS. Lots of people are buying lab diamonds these days. Really depends on the couple. Obviously,
he could go a lot larger on the diamond if he goes lab but if she is not expecting this it may be hard to know how she feels
about lab diamonds.

I think we are going to avoid lab diamonds. This isn't her first marriage and she has never really had a nice piece of jewelry. I think a traditional stone is the way to go.

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
It's been a few years since I been active on PS. I've been biding my time with locally sourced antique pieces and haven't been in need of any new diamonds since I have my basics covered.

Last night my husband was asked for his sister's hand in marriage. It was sweet and awkward and a little unnecessary, but thoughtful none the less. He also asked my husband to ask me for help with the ring.

This is what I know.

100% needs to be Pear shaped
90% sure it needs a halo
She likes pave
She likes unusual jewelry
100% it's nowhere on her radar even though they have been together for several years and they are amazing together.
Budget is $5000 tops, but I get the impression he would be more comfortable between $3k-$4k and I would like to stay around there.

I've been looking at James Allen for baseline idea of what's out there. Is there somewhere else I should look? Any suggestions where to look at settings
Unless you are especially confident in assessing fancy shapes (I am not, because they depend on so much more than just the stats) I would suggest going with a vendor who can assess for you. Diamonds by Lauren or IDJ can do that, and they do good work! I had some earrings made by DBL and the quality was excellent. Plus, they are super easy to work with--you correspond with David directly, and he is very responsive. I know you don't want a brown diamond, but this is just an example of the workmanship: https://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/070ct-brown-pear-diamond-ring-set-r10211

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a spammer pulled this thread back up. Its from Sept 23...not too old but not too recent either.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results