shape
carat
color
clarity

Need a Jewelers honest answer

NancyJane26

Rough_Rock
I have my mother's ring that my father gave to her before she passed that I'm posed to give to my love. Moms ring size was around a 6 and it needs to become an 11 or so. It is a 3 diamond ring on a gold band. Is this possible? $ is an issue if it's astronomical. But is it possible?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Going from a 6 to an 11 is quite a jump in size. As per your thread title, a jeweller with experience of sizing rings will need to offer their experienced assessment of the situation, but my first thoughts are that it might be a struggle to maintain its shape properly.

Can you post a picture of the ring in question, so assessment can be made of how the stones are mounted etc?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome! Just for future reference, questions about diamonds or settings go in Rocky Talky. Show Me the Bling is to show off your jewelry pieces! Click "report concern" on your first post and ask the moderator to move the thread if you want a jeweler to see your post. It may be Monday before they'd see it anyway.

I would think any jeweler would tell you that they'd have to make a whole new shank for the ring. Maybe they can cut out the head and place it in the new ring. But it will definitely help to post a picture.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
NancyJane26|1475308113|4082588 said:
I have my mother's ring that my father gave to her before she passed that I'm posed to give to my love. Moms ring size was around a 6 and it needs to become an 11 or so. It is a 3 diamond ring on a gold band. Is this possible? $ is an issue if it's astronomical. But is it possible?

Not without risking some serious damage to the settings for the diamonds themselves. No jeweler or benchman I know will agree to go up a total of ten sizes, which is essentially what you are looking to do (each "half-size" is a bench full size). You are going to have to have the three diamonds reset into another setting if you need to have the ring made into a size 11. Typically a plain shank ring can be sized up two or three sizes without much worry.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results