shape
carat
color
clarity

Need a hand hold, bogged down in options!

janejanejane

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I need to make a decision today on which diamond to set as a solitaire for my yellow gold, six prong ring. I'm looking for something between 0.8 and 0.9 carat and would like to spend under £1000. I'm in the UK and most of the sellers are reluctant to get me ASET images, so due to the timescales I will most likely need to go without. I'd love a GCAL 8x but can't find anything suitable through a UK seller.

I've found the below stone which appears to have good proportions (when comparing to those outlined on the beyond4cs site, not sure what people's thoughts are on that though...?!) and has an HCA of 1.2

I'm not looking for perfection but I'd like something with good light performance and character, and eye clean.

Any thoughts?

Jane

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hello and welcome to PriceScope, janejanejane!
We can definitely find you some great options for your approximate USD$1200 budget!

Whiteflash has a lineup of in-house, ready to ship LGDs that are fully vetted and assessed in the exact same manner as their in-house EGDs:

You're also well into D color VS2 and better GCAL 8X territory (check Adiamor and Frank Darling):

You can also check Novita and 77Diamonds - both have locations/showrooms in the UK.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We can definitely find you some great options for your approximate USD$1200 budget!

Whiteflash has a lineup of in-house, ready to ship LGDs that are fully vetted and assessed in the exact same manner as their in-house EGDs:

You're also well into D color VS2 and better GCAL 8X territory (check Adiamor and Frank Darling):

You can also check Novita and 77Diamonds - both have locations/showrooms in the UK.

Agree 100%

janejanejane

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies. I asked Novita for ASETs and they wouldn't give them to me 'because those diamonds are ideal cut'. Not impressed. The ones in the actual stores weren't great, I looked at the specs for every single one which was in the UK within my parameters and none of them fit the beyond4cs criteria.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the replies. I asked Novita for ASETs and they wouldn't give them to me 'because those diamonds are ideal cut'. Not impressed. The ones in the actual stores weren't great, I looked at the specs for every single one which was in the UK within my parameters and none of them fit the beyond4cs criteria.

Here are much better proportions and angles to stick within (red circles)...I'd even say limit table width to 54-56%:

Screenshot_20230522-153443-026.png

Or just grab a D VS2+ HPHT GCAL 8X and call it done.

janejanejane

Rough_Rock
I also recommend Jon at Distinctive Gem. He would provide an ASET, no problem. He might already have them for his in-house stones. This one is in- budget:https://www.distinctivegem.com/coll...-arrows-cut-private-reserve-lab-grown-diamond
I bought mine from him, and I unreservedly recommend him!

Thank you for the recommendation, that's a great stone but unfortunately the $150 shipping fee and 20% tax on the stone when it comes into the UK push this out of budget! :(

janejanejane

Rough_Rock
Here are much better proportions and angles to stick within (red circles)...I'd even say limit table width to 54-56%:

Screenshot_20230522-153443-026.png

Or just grab a D VS2+ HPHT GCAL 8X and call it done.

Thanks - what about depth?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thanks - what about depth?

I usually try to stick within 60.5-62.5%, give or take a couple 0.x% depending on the proportions for the other measurements and still meeting overall great cut precision and optics.

janejanejane

Rough_Rock

The inclusions on the 0.82 gcal 8x - would they be visible? I know VS2s aren't always eye clean and I'm worried about the inclusion in the top left in the vid.

janejanejane

Rough_Rock
I usually try to stick within 60.5-62.5%, give or take a couple 0.x% depending on the proportions for the other measurements and still meeting overall great cut precision and optics.

Thank you - the original stone I posted was already sold :( so I'm just looking for another now. If you see any great options other than the one already sent please let me know. Thanks!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
The inclusions on the 0.82 gcal 8x - would they be visible? I know VS2s aren't always eye clean and I'm worried about the inclusion in the top left in the vid.

The inclusion in the crown is nothing that I would worry about...there will be tons of proper light return and scintillation to obscure it...and it could be further concealed with a prong, depending on where it is in conjunction with the laser inscription that a savy jeweler will leave unhindered.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Karl_K when you have time, can you run a simulation for an RBC with the following proportions and angles?

Carat: 0.87
Color: D
Clarity: VS1
Dimensions: 6.05x6 11x3.79mm
Table width: 56%
Crown angle: 35.7°
Pavilion angle: 40.5°
Depth: 62.3%
Girdle: M to SL-TH
Stars: 50%
Lowers: 80%

Mainly want to know if there will likely be leakage or paddling concerns.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Not at my computer.
In general shallow pavilions obstruct, deep PA causes over angled lowers which leak.
So without a lot of twist or the combo will also not tolerate much painting/digging negative leakage is unlikely..
Obstruction issues are going to depend a lot on what is in the 40.5 average.
The longer lowers help with obstruction on the mains.

janejanejane

Rough_Rock
Not at my computer.
In general shallow pavilions obstruct, deep PA causes over angled lowers which leak.
So without a lot of twist or the combo will also not tolerate much painting/digging negative leakage is unlikely..
Obstruction issues are going to depend a lot on what is in the 40.5 average.
The longer lowers help with obstruction on the mains.

Thank you. I'm not sure what it all means but I appreciate the input :) and I'm sure it means something to DejaWiz

janejanejane

Rough_Rock
Karl_K when you have time, can you run a simulation for an RBC with the following proportions and angles?

Carat: 0.87
Color: D
Clarity: VS1
Dimensions: 6.05x6 11x3.79mm
Table width: 56%
Crown angle: 35.7°
Pavilion angle: 40.5°
Depth: 62.3%
Girdle: M to SL-TH
Stars: 50%
Lowers: 80%

Mainly want to know if there will likely be leakage or paddling concerns.

Thank you for whatever you have checked out here. I have found a couple of options which have specs meeting those you outlined above...

Table Size
54.5%
Crown Height
15.5% - 34.2°
Pavilion Depth
43% - 40.8°
Girdle Thickness
MEDIUM (FACETED)
Culet
POINTED
Total Depth
62.2%
Also

Polish
EXCELLENT
Symmetry
EXCELLENT
Table Size
55%
Crown Height
15.5% - 35°
Pavilion Depth
42.5% - 40.7°
Girdle Thickness
THIN TO MEDIUM (FACETED)
Culet
POINTED
Total Depth
61.7%
I don't know how to post videos I'm afraid. Can you glean anything from the info above? I have requested ASET images but my jeweller really needs to get cracking!

Thanks so much :)

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for whatever you have checked out here. I have found a couple of options which have specs meeting those you outlined above...

Table Size
54.5%
Crown Height
15.5% - 34.2°
Pavilion Depth
43% - 40.8°
Girdle Thickness
MEDIUM (FACETED)
Culet
POINTED
Total Depth
62.2%
Also

Polish
EXCELLENT
Symmetry
EXCELLENT
Table Size
55%
Crown Height
15.5% - 35°
Pavilion Depth
42.5% - 40.7°
Girdle Thickness
THIN TO MEDIUM (FACETED)
Culet
POINTED
Total Depth
61.7%
I don't know how to post videos I'm afraid. Can you glean anything from the info above? I have requested ASET images but my jeweller really needs to get cracking!

Thanks so much :)

Both have promising proportions and angles...you can upload the videos to a sharing site like Imgur and paste the links.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
1st diamond has blue nuance.
2nd diamond is the frontrunner out of these two.

janejanejane

Rough_Rock
Another day, another diamond that is unavailable when I place the order :(

I have found a hearts and arrows which looks nice. It's CVD grown though and you recommended HPHT above. Is that a big issue? Will also post a vid.

Polish
EXCELLENT
Symmetry
EXCELLENT
Table Size
54%
Crown Height
16% - 34.8°
Pavilion Depth
42.5% - 40.6°
Girdle Thickness
MEDIUM (FACETED)
Culet
POINTED
ts
HEARTS & ARROWS This Laboratory Grown Diamond was created by Chemical Vapor Deposition (CVD) growth process and may include post-growth treatment Type IIa

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

janejanejane

Rough_Rock
Cut precision looks A-OK.
Hard to assess for any other potential issues since the video doesn't have adequate quality.

I was worried about the fact it's CVD - my understanding is that this could make it brown? I'm not worried about a warmer diamond though especially as it will be set in yellow gold.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I was worried about the fact it's CVD - my understanding is that this could make it brown? I'm not worried about a warmer diamond though especially as it will be set in yellow gold.

That's a valid concern: and this one does appear brownish-yellow based on the video.
Might (and likely would) be just fine in a YG setting in real-world viewing conditions.
You need to be comfortable with it, though.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the one you linked with the 54 table, but if blue nuance is a deal-breaker then it won't work

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results