shape
carat
color
clarity

Need a good antiques appraiser for this Art Deco Broach

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
My FIL might give this to me but I need a good Antiques appraiser first. Any suggestions??? Thanks in Advance

2007-05-31 006.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well this is no help to you at all but I have to say that is GORGEOUS!!!

Please please please can we have some more pics?

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Skippy, I know I have a lot of nice family antique jewelry myself and I have NO excuse to feel this way BUT!... may I say how JEALOUS I am of that absolutely STUNNING brooch?
30.gif
Why do you say your FIL "might" give it to you pending an appraisal? Can you share the story behind it? It is truly a gorgeous and amazing piece of history and you are indeed a lucky lady tonight! One thing about that piece...please make sure you keep it with what looks like the original brooch presentation case - I collect those cases and can tell you that they increase the value of the piece by having that original case. Both are just amazing.

YEAH for SKIPPY!!!!
36.gif
30.gif
31.gif
9.gif

ETA: You know, you can have the back of that brooch modified to accommodate a chain so that you can wear it either as a brooch or a big #ss pendant!
27.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/25/2007 9:28:58 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
Well this is no help to you at all but I have to say that is GORGEOUS!!!

Please please please can we have some more pics?
DeeJay, it arrives at my house sometime next week so I will take pics for ya then
2.gif
It has a weird appraisal in British pounds but it was back in 95 so I need a more current appraisal. It looks like it might be 4ish carats worth of diamonds and 3 carats worth of sapphires.

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
My appraisal is WOW!!! If you get it you have to promise to wear it!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
skip, that is AMAZING!
30.gif
i didn''t know you were royalty!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/25/2007 9:33:27 PM
Author: surfgirl
Skippy, I know I have a lot of nice family antique jewelry myself and I have NO excuse to feel this way BUT!... may I say how JEALOUS I am of that absolutely STUNNING brooch?
30.gif
Why do you say your FIL 'might' give it to you pending an appraisal? Can you share the story behind it? It is truly a gorgeous and amazing piece of history and you are indeed a lucky lady tonight! One thing about that piece...please make sure you keep it with what looks like the original brooch presentation case - I collect those cases and can tell you that they increase the value of the piece by having that original case. Both are just amazing.

YEAH for SKIPPY!!!!
36.gif
30.gif
31.gif
9.gif

ETA: You know, you can have the back of that brooch modified to accommodate a chain so that you can wear it either as a brooch or a big #ss pendant!
27.gif
I love antiques Surfgirl! I love your ring; I am jealous of that so we are even.
2.gif
hehe Well the might part, is that if it is worth a lot I don't get to keep it. If it is worth a medium amount I can have it but I need to give my SIL half the value. I hope I get to keep it. I do so love it!!!
30.gif
30.gif

Oh it says it is old brilliant cut diamonds (I never heard of that) and it came from England but we aren't too sure how old it is. My hubby's mom is from the UK and it belonged to her older sis. That is all I know
41.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d send it to oldminer, Dave Atlas. He knows the older cuts well. What a treasure this is. Yeah sign me up for being jealous, but it couldn''t go to a nicer person. Wear it in good health!!!
30.gif
30.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, it''s gorgeous! Here''s hoping for a medium amount appraisal!
9.gif

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I''d say that brooch is worth...hmm...about a medium amount.

Seriously, it''s absolutely perfect. I love love LOVE art deco pieces, especially brooches, and this one is stunning. I gasped when I saw it. I have my fingers crossed that you get to keep it!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just gorgeous, Skippy!!! That does almost belong on the Royal Jewels thread!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Wow Skippers!
3.gif
30.gif
That is very beautiful! How about Richard Sherwood for an appraisal?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ah, thank you all. It made my heart skip a few beats. If I don't get to keep it, it will be fun to play with for a little while. Still hoping for a medium amount (crossing fingers and toes). hehee

I found a PS appraiser. I will keep you all posted; thank you for your suggestions and sweet compliments
35.gif

Surfgirl I would love to wear it as a pendant but me thinks the chain might break. hehee

Lady, if I get to keep it I will wear it to a charity event or special event. Hopefully I could wear it to a wedding. hehe

Belle, I wish I was royalty.
2.gif
Thank you; you are so sweet neighbor!!! I am loving our weather, perfect
9.gif

Lisa, thanks for the recommendation. Thank your for your sweet words; I feel the same about you!!!

Thing2of2, thanks, I am hoping the same thing. I love looking at your kitty avatar. I always think that sofa looks so comfy for Mr. Wiskers. hehe

NewEnglandLady, thank you. Here hoping for a medium amount.
2.gif
I gasped also, thanks.

DiamondSeeker, I agree too; I am excited to play w/it for a little while.

Storm, you read my mind. He couldn't look at it right now so I am sending it to another awesome PS appraiser on this forum.

:) I found an appraiser, thank you for the suggestion.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
SKIPPY!!!!

That brooch is just
30.gif
3.gif
and while I love ya, I am positively
27.gif
with ENVY!!!! It looks like an Art Deco design...which just totally makes my heart race. AMAZING!!!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/25/2007 9:50:48 PM
Author: Skippy123
Date: 10/25/2007 9:33:27 PM

30.gif
Why do you say your FIL 'might' give it to you pending an appraisal? Can you share the story behind it? It is truly a gorgeous and amazing piece of history and you are indeed a lucky lady tonight! One thing about that piece...please make sure you keep it with what looks like the original brooch presentation case - I collect those cases and can tell you that they increase the value of the piece by having that original case. Both are just amazing.

YEAH for SKIPPY!!!!
36.gif
30.gif
31.gif
9.gif

27.gif

I love antiques Surfgirl! I love your ring; I am jealous of that so we are even.
2.gif
hehe Well the might part, is that if it is worth a lot I don't get to keep it. If it is worth a medium amount I can have it but I need to give my SIL half the value. I hope I get to keep it. I do so love it!!!
30.gif
30.gif

Oh it says it is old brilliant cut diamonds (I never heard of that) and it came from England but we aren't too sure how old it is. My hubby's mom is from the UK and it belonged to her older sis. That is all I know
41.gif
Well, not to be unscrupulous, but when you get it appraised, I'd let the appraiser know the situation and that you do NOT want an "insurance" appraisal that's way inflated! I think that for the next 30 days it's probably of "medium" value but I hear these things go up after 60 days!
31.gif
28.gif
Annyway, is he going to keep it in a vault - or god forbid sell it?!? - if it IS worth "alot"? That would be a shame. I'd almost ask if you could purchase it from him if it's worth more and he doesn't want to part with it. At least that way it stays in the family. Which to me is quite important and wonderful! Oh, if you can get a photo of your relative wearing it, that would be a lovely momento to have as well.

Good luck! I'd wear that sucker often! And you could wear it on a black silk cord, that would hold it. So gorgeous. I believe it's probably Art Deco era. Yum!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/26/2007 1:23:40 PM

Well, not to be unscrupulous, but when you get it appraised, I'd let the appraiser know the situation and that you do NOT want an 'insurance' appraisal that's way inflated! I think that for the next 30 days it's probably of 'medium' value but I hear these things go up after 60 days!
31.gif
28.gif
Annyway, is he going to keep it in a vault if it IS worth 'alot'? That would be a shame. I'd almost ask if you could purchase it from him if it's worth more and he doesn't want to part with it. At least that way it stays in the family. Which to me is quite important and wonderful! Oh, if you can get a photo of your relative wearing it, that would be a lovely momento to have as well.

Good luck! I'd wear that sucker often! And you could wear it on a black silk cord, that would hold it. So gorgeous. I believe it's probably Art Deco era. Yum!
Surfgirl, if I can pay a few thousand dollars to my sil, then it would be nice since she is family and it is such a wonderful piece of family history. Hubby wants it for the sentimental value. If it appraises for lots meaning more than my ering then his father will sell it. We are getting a FMV appraisal not the insurance one. I know, too much drama. I sort of wished his sister wanted to keep it since it is so lovely and that would mean it would stay in the family. His aunt is no longer alive; she lived in England and passed a while back ago. We will see over the next few weeks how this plays out.

I would be tempted to just buy it from him but I don't have that sort of cash saved up and of course I wouldn't want to take that money out of my stocks; I just feel it would be a shame to sell it but it does not belong to me so I really am not allowed an opinion imo. hehe

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/26/2007 1:15:27 PM
Author: FireGoddess
SKIPPY!!!!

That brooch is just
30.gif
3.gif
and while I love ya, I am positively
27.gif
with ENVY!!!! It looks like an Art Deco design...which just totally makes my heart race. AMAZING!!!
Awwwe, I wuve you too FG, you are such a darling. It is art deco for sure!!! I am in love w/Art deco too! Don''t envy me yet; since it is not mine.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
That''s a shame, isn''t it? Does he need the money? I ask because after my grandmother passed away, my aunt (who has no clue or interest in jewelry) was "in charge" of all that was left. Mind you, grandma already gave away the good stuff (and I got her ering so...) but I brought my loupe to my aunt''s house and went through all the stuff, separating out the good stuff from the vintage faux and the outright junk. My sister wanted a chunky crazy old gold bracelet that I couldn''t tell if it was real gold or not. My aunt said if it was fake she could have it, but if it was real my aunt wanted to sell the gold. I was so annoyed and my sister, god bless her, said in a pissed off tone, "I''ll BUY it from you then, so at least it''s kept in the family!" My aunt never said another word and let her keep it. I still dont know if it''s real but unless it''s a financial emergency, it''s sad that he''d sell it. Maybe he''d let you pay it on a payment plan? Just a thought as it sounds like his daughter isn''t interested in it at all. Booooo...

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/26/2007 2:00:20 PM
That's a shame, isn't it? Does he need the money? I ask because after my grandmother passed away, my aunt (who has no clue or interest in jewelry) was 'in charge' of all that was left. Mind you, grandma already gave away the good stuff (and I got her ering so...) but I brought my loupe to my aunt's house and went through all the stuff, separating out the good stuff from the vintage faux and the outright junk. My sister wanted a chunky crazy old gold bracelet that I couldn't tell if it was real gold or not. My aunt said if it was fake she could have it, but if it was real my aunt wanted to sell the gold. I was so annoyed and my sister, god bless her, said in a pissed off tone, 'I'll BUY it from you then, so at least it's kept in the family!' My aunt never said another word and let her keep it. I still dont know if it's real but unless it's a financial emergency, it's sad that he'd sell it. Maybe he'd let you pay it on a payment plan? Just a thought as it sounds like his daughter isn't interested in it at all. Booooo...
No they do not need the money. I think it is the era he was brought up in; they don't think people need diamonds (diamonds and expensive cars are a luxury). I completely respect them but this piece is so special so if that is what he wants then I really have to let it go, ya know.
2.gif
At least it will be fun to learn about this piece when it get's appraised. hehee

I am glad you kept your family's jewelery in the family. Glad your aunt backed off.
9.gif

PaperStars

Rough_Rock
If they don't need the money, why don't they just give it to you instead of having you give money for it?
It's a beautiful piece, you are deserving of it because you are family.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/26/2007 4:00:29 PM
Author: PaperStars
If they don't need the money, why don't they just give it to you instead of having you give money for it? It's a beautiful piece, you are deserving of it because you are family.
I have to respect others feelings. MY FIL is a very good man. Thank you though.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good news; it will stay in the family
9.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does that mean it''s yours now?! If so, YAAAAAAY! If not, at least it will stay in the family!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Skippy it is PERFECT! Seriously beautiful. Another idea is wearing in your hair if you are going somewhere fancy. It would look so pretty against your dark hair. Oh, I hope the appraisal doesn''t come in too high. My fingers are crossed for you!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/26/2007 4:23:53 PM
Author: Skippy123
Good news; it will stay in the family
9.gif
YAY!!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
35.gif

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
That is just so beautiful!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good Grief Skippy that is one gorgeous Brooch!!! I just read it will stay in the family??? Does that mean you get to keep it?? I sure hope so. It is divine!!!

Linda

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/26/2007 10:20:58 PM
Author: Linda W
Good Grief Skippy that is one gorgeous Brooch!!! I just read it will stay in the family??? Does that mean you get to keep it?? I sure hope so. It is divine!!!

Linda
Thanks everyone! Linda, Clio, Kaleigh, Tacori, and Thing2of2, thanks.

Hubby and I had a long talk and we are on the same page. Then he called his sister and they will work something out because she would love it to stay in the family too!
16.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hooooray Skippy!!!!!!!! It will look beautiful on you!!!!!! You are such a dear and sweet person, wish we all could meet you
35.gif

Linda

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results