shape
carat
color
clarity

Need a bit of advice!

asymons412

Shiny_Rock
Hello ladies! I am no longer a LIW, but I was hoping I could get your advice since I'm sure we've all played this scenario out in our minds. (warning! long-ish post!)

I am obsessed with my setting and love my diamond-- they're very sparkly, just the right size, I can't find any inclusions for the life of me --but I can detect the colour of my diamond in some lighting, especially because the setting allows full view of the diamond from all four sides. It is a 0.73 ct VVS2 H-color princess, graded by a GIA-trained jeweler but not an actual lab (another reason I was a little hessitant about it). It took FH a while to finally see the colour until one day when he noticed it in our house and asked if I was happy with it (to which I replied that I noticed the colour, but it was only in certain lighting, and of course I was happy!).

I'd given up thinking about it and finally learned to embrace the little colour as something that is characteristic of my diamond when I found this...
http://www.bluenile.com/princess-diamond-1-carat-or-less-very-good-cut-e-color-vvs2-clarity_LD02038972

I know FH paid about the same for my current ungraded diamond (~3k), and here's the colour improvement I want, a little bigger (5x5mm!) with a GIA report.

I'm hessitant to bring it up to him because 1. we have a great relationship with our jeweler right now and I feel like returning the diamond to them and having them send it out to reset it with one that we bought would be... weird? Maybe I'm just being too personal about it. and 2. he's so relieved that I love my ring, I almost want to let it go and not think about it, and appreciate that this is the diamond he hand-picked for me. After all, the grass is always greener, right?

I don't know what to do! :confused: I really do love my ring and as I'm typing here in the library, it looks perfectly white and I know that I can "live" with it (of course!). I don't want to be ungrateful, but it's hard to decide whether to show him this blue nile diamond or just let it go and enjoy being enfianced! Help!

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
I think if you keep looking you will always find a diamond that sounds more perfect than the one you've got (the grass is always greener!) You just got your diamond, and you can only see the color at certain angles, I say keep it!

My friend has a diamond where the color is noticeable all the time (I'm not sure the exact specs) and she loves it. It's not only personality, but also the sentimentality behind the stone, switching now sounds like a slippery slope.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think Maebel is right.

No matter how many times you exchange diamonds, there will always be another out there that "looks" better on paper.

I'm not sure where you live, but is there any way you could go see the diamond in person? It might help you decide what to do if you can get a real look at how it looks in person.

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
I think diamonds are alot like the perfect guy once you find "the one" stop searching !!! Well at least until your ready for an upgrade hehe :) ;))

Glitz

Shiny_Rock
I agree with the above posters and that you should stop looking. Enjoy being engaged and look forward to your future together. For what it's worth I think you're ring is super beautiful 8)

slg47

Ideal_Rock
well I don't think the one you posted looks good (huge table) so I definitely wouldn't look into that one! if the color really bugs you then maybe try to find a suitable candidate for upgrade? if you can still return I might do that, just because once the return policy lapses you will be stuck, and if the color bothers you now it might keep bothering you.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
maebelle|1304360842|2910199 said:
I think if you keep looking you will always find a diamond that sounds more perfect than the one you've got (the grass is always greener!) You just got your diamond, and you can only see the color at certain angles, I say keep it!

My friend has a diamond where the color is noticeable all the time (I'm not sure the exact specs) and she loves it. It's not only personality, but also the sentimentality behind the stone, switching now sounds like a slippery slope.

Totally agree! I have a 1.55 D and many times I see stones priced at what he paid in the E-F range and a tad bigger than my stone... always greener! definitely agree with that saying :bigsmile: I have learned to stop looking at stones- if you keep looking at stones on websites and such you are sure to find something you think is better. Instead I would focus on searching for a wedding band, or focus on the honeymoon :love:

asymons412

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Glitz! I do love my ring very much, when it comes down to it. :love: And thank you all for the advice... the moment I posted this, I had a gut feeling that I love my diamond and I couldn't consider giving it up-- I mean, it's the one FH proposed with! I guess it's hard not to over-think every little detail when there's so much to think about.

Amys Bling|1304385746|2910662 said:
Instead I would focus on searching for a wedding band, or focus on the honeymoon :love:

Oh don't start me! :love: With my ring (it has a twisted pave shank) and midget hands, I keep going back and forth between a very thin half-eternity band and just a plain, thin-as-possible platinum band...

You're all very right. Thanks for catching me in my moment of iffy-ness... :lickout: This forum is absolutely priceless for all of the great advice you give. **lots of dust!!**

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results