shape
carat
color
clarity

Necklace/ Pendant Question: How to stop chain from turning?

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
A pendant is staple jewelry piece for me. I wear one daily. With every pendant I have, the chain slowly starts moving/turning so that after some time the clasp part comes to the front, where the pendant is, and I have to turn the chain back in place (put the clasp behind my neck). Anyone else have this issue? Anyone successfully remedied it? Please share! I figure, if someone knows, it'll likely be here. Thanks, in advance!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
The only things I can think of are body glue where the clasp meets the back of the neck or a small safety pin if the back of the shirt goes up that far.

ETA: Or getting pendants that are attached to the chain at both ends, so there are no loose parts to slip around.

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
The only things I can think of are body glue where the clasp meets the back of the neck or a small safety pin if the back of the shirt goes up that far.

ETA: Or getting pendants that are attachaed to the chain at both ends, so there are no loose parts to slip around.

Body glue is an interesting suggestion though I wear a necklace everyday so I'm not sure how that would affect the gold or my skin long term. Safety pin is also a good one! But my shirts don't go up that far :(.
I'll have to try that type of pendant and see if it makes a difference. None of the ones I currently own are like that. Thank you for these suggestions @seaurchin !

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This happens with all my necklaces. The clasp always rotates downward to the right; I suspect this has to do with the fact that I am right-handed. I'd be curious to know if left-handed people find the clasp going to the left side.

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
This happens with all my necklaces. The clasp always rotates downward to the right; I suspect this has to do with the fact that I am right-handed. I'd be curious to know if left-handed people find the clasp going to the left side.

Oh interesting hypothesis! I'd be curious too. Question, do you have any pendants like the one Seaurchin mentioned above, where the pendants is attached to the chain at both ends- does it happen on those too?

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
This is interesting. I have heard many express a preference for sliding bezel pendants over fixed, because fixed pendants end up moving around as well. Sounds like the issue is not limited to how the necklace is constructed.

My daughter wears a necklace daily and the clasp is frequently down in front.

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks @Tonks & @rcjtraveler . I was hoping the fixed type pendant suggested would have solved it but it seems that's not the case :( neat idea on adding a charm to the back!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
What about figuring out some kind of design where the pendant attaches at the clasp? I haven’t had my coffee yet though so I can’t think of what that might look like, at the moment.

It would take some modifications though, to the pendants, chains, or both.

Or maybe there is no reasonable solution lol. I tried to stop my tennis necklace from flipping, for ex. I took it to a jeweler, who said they couldn’t help. Then I attached a wire to the back of it myself, which was not satisfactory either. Finally, I gave up and just let the dang thing flip.

I’ll wear my pendant that’s attached to the chain on both sides now and report back in a while.

ETA: Another option might be to find chains that don't have clasps, if they make them. I have a few pearl ropes that I had made without clasps, "endless pearl strands" so I guess they have chains that are the same? They'd have to be long enough to slip over your head though.

Last edited:

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Seriously, the way I dealt with this growing up was to pretend I got a wish every time I found the clasp in front. Maybe it was a thing with the girls I knew, but we would kiss the necklace, make a wish, and turn it.

Bothered me not one bit when I was in that mindset.

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
Seriously, the way I dealt with this growing up was to pretend I got a wish every time I found the clasp in front. Maybe it was a thing with the girls I knew, but we would kiss the necklace, make a wish, and turn it.

Bothered me not one bit when I was in that mindset.

Never head about this but what a cool way to think about it. I'll have to try it, ha!

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
I wore this for a few hours today to double check. It did stay in place. Though, granted, I didn't do anything too strenuous.

pink necklace.jpg
Thank you for taking on this experiment! I read somewhere that one reason why a necklace turns is because the clasp is heavier than the pendant so it eventually drops down to the front. That made sense to me then why even fixed pendants turn (assuming the pendant was small and light. It was interesting to read that yours didn't turn but it still supports this theory as it looks like your pendant is heavier than the clasp. Perhaps I need to try a fixed necklace with a heavier pendant part? Beautiful pendant btw!! What type of gem is that?

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for taking on this experiment! I read somewhere that one reason why a necklace turns is because the clasp is heavier than the pendant so it eventually drops down to the front. That made sense to me then why even fixed pendants turn (assuming the pendant was small and light. It was interesting to read that yours didn't turn but it still supports this theory as it looks like your pendant is heavier than the clasp. Perhaps I need to try a fixed necklace with a heavier pendant part? Beautiful pendant btw!! What type of gem is that?

It's a pink lab sapphire cut by Finewater Gems. Pendant made by David Klass.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A pendant is staple jewelry piece for me. I wear one daily. With every pendant I have, the chain slowly starts moving/turning so that after some time the clasp part comes to the front, where the pendant is, and I have to turn the chain back in place (put the clasp behind my neck). Anyone else have this issue? Anyone successfully remedied it? Please share! I figure, if someone knows, it'll likely be here. Thanks, in advance!

You need a counterweight. There are lots of contraptions on the market (Google “necklace counterweight” or “make necklace stop turning”) for this very purpose. Even an extender left dangling helps keep a chain balanced, and those are pretty nice to have anyway if you want to change the length of your necklace.

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you! I've never heard of this before but will definitely look into it. I did a quick search on Etsy/Google and could only find one option. I'll spend some more time and look again later- hoping more options turn up. Thank you again!

empliau

Shiny_Rock
The ancient Egyptian royals attached a counterweight to the back:

Screen Shot 2023-07-17 at 18.11.12.png

empliau

Shiny_Rock
Not practical for most of us, I know. But attractive all the same. Here's another:

ETA: Of course these are both from the tomb of Tutankhamun.

Screen Shot 2023-07-17 at 18.14.57.png

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
The ancient Egyptian royals attached a counterweight to the back:

Screen Shot 2023-07-17 at 18.11.12.png

So beautiful! @monarch64 recommended a counterweight as well. I'll definitely be looking into it more.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
... Question, do you have any pendants like the one Seaurchin mentioned above, where the pendants is attached to the chain at both ends- does it happen on those too?
I avoid those kinds of pendants, because they always go off center as the necklace turns.
This also happens with my pearl strands.

The idea of a counterweight is interesting. I think I'd find it itchy, though. Even clasps can be itchy on my neck, and forget extender chains that dangle down in back.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Oh interesting hypothesis! I'd be curious too. Question, do you have any pendants like the one Seaurchin mentioned above, where the pendants is attached to the chain at both ends- does it happen on those too?

My VCA pendant chain twists and it drives me a bit nuts. Come to think of it the chain twisting is much more irritating than the clasp moving to the front as it can become a bit “chokey” when the chain twists too much and the chain becomes progressively shorter.

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
I avoid those kinds of pendants, because they always go off center as the necklace turns.
This also happens with my pearl strands.

The idea of a counterweight is interesting. I think I'd find it itchy, though. Even clasps can be itchy on my neck, and forget extender chains that dangle down in back.

I agree. I'm not sure how comfortable it would be but i'm definitely going to give it a try. I'm always adjusting my pendant so hoping to find a way to avoid that.

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
My VCA pendant chain twists and it drives me a bit nuts. Come to think of it the chain twisting is much more irritating than the clasp moving to the front as it can become a bit “chokey” when the chain twists too much and the chain becomes progressively shorter.

This is so interesting as I don't have this issue with any of my pendants. I wonder why it happens? Also curious if any PSers have experienced similar and perhaps have a fix?

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
When I wear a pendant, I find I often touch the chain, and feel around for where the clasp is. I usually end up having to turn the chain several times during the day, to get the clasp back behind my neck.
It’s a bit annoying, but such is life :)

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
When I wear a pendant, I find I often touch the chain, and feel around for where the clasp is. I usually end up having to turn the chain several times during the day, to get the clasp back behind my neck.
It’s a bit annoying, but such is life :)

Lol, yes. I'm wanting to try the heavier pendant or counterweight options shared to see if that does the trick! Will share an update if it does!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
You need a counterweight. There are lots of contraptions on the market (Google “necklace counterweight” or “make necklace stop turning”) for this very purpose. Even an extender left dangling helps keep a chain balanced, and those are pretty nice to have anyway if you want to change the length of your necklace.

thats what i thought too but i couldnt rememebr what it was called
i kept thinking a pendulum but i knew that wanst quite right

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results