shape
carat
color
clarity

Necklace length for a 1.3ct pendant

SoaRFaabz

Rough_Rock
I’m buying my gf a pendant with a 1.3ct diamond and I’m trying to decide between a 16-18in length. She’s about 5’5 and normal weight. She usually dresses more on the modest side so I was initially worried if the 18in would be too low, but I’m also concerned of it looking like a choker, which seems to be better for smaller pendant sizes. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Last edited:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Custom chain with a slightly larger links in the chain at a few 1" intervals so she can wear it 16, 17, or 18". Just did this for spouse and should have thought of it years ago. Actually, Inken at Enhoerning thought of it. It's a simple chain-link platinum chain -- just small interlocking hoops -- but it is heavier gauge than the normal spiderweb-weight "chain included" ones.

All those looks are nice, imo -- almost-choker length or dipping a little lower. And she can wear this chain with all kinds of things. Get a decent-sized lobster-claw clasp so she can easily do it herself and it will be stress-free to put this on and take it off. It is amazing what a disincentive a crummy, overly fragile chain is!

My pendant is a 1.5ct in a halo, and I have it on a chain with multiple lengths! I think mine is 15-17 because I don’t like it when the pendant hangs very low. I almost always wear it on the smallest setting, which fits just below the hollow of my neck. The longer lengths are used when I want to stack pendants (rarely) or when I’m wearing a turtleneck.

newtojewels

Shiny_Rock
What a lovely gift!

I'm thirding the multiple jumprings suggestion. I'm 5'7" and consider myself to be a normal weight and the 15" would hit the hollow of my neck like @AllAboardTheBlingTrain, but of course everyone is built differently. Luckily any of the alterations we're talking about would be very minor for a jeweler. It's probably better to err on the side of longer so you don't have to find matching chain to extend to 18". You could always add the 15" ring and remove the extra inch if she needs it/if the 3" dangling at the back annoys her.

Here's the first photo I could find on google of a necklace with multiple jumprings (16"-17"-18" for this one):
c16206-scaled.jpg

SoaRFaabz

Rough_Rock
Thank you! Adjustable sounds good, online some people said no jump ring is preferable but I guess that’s only if you know the exact length you want

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
An 18 inch length would be handy if wearing a sweater with a collar, or a scoop neck. I think a chain with multiple lengths is great.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
All my chains are 18" or 17" with jump rings at 16". I like to layer so jump rings are a must for me.

SoaRFaabz

Rough_Rock
Thanks!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results