shape
carat
color
clarity

Nearly 4cts, and only worth this much?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sting

Rough_Rock
I need some help here.
I have recently had a stone appraised, and I am not sure if I feel totaly at easy with the results. This stone has been in the family for over 100 years (yes, I know...old fashioned cut), and it looks like we have to sell it to raise some cash.
Some details about the stone:

3,8 cts, I1, J, 10,62 x 5,41

I am no expert, but I do realize that total depth, color and clarity are not ideal, but I still think that the estimated selling price of $6,500 is far below its real value
Up_to_something.gif
. You would probably have to re-cut the stone, but you would still be left with an over 3ct stone with good dimensions.
Any thoughts??

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Well, the "real value" of course is exactly how much you can get for it.

You would need to have an expert evaluate the stone in person, but I think that recutting could be a good option, especially if the clarity could be improved.

Here's a somewhat similar item going on Ebay to give you an idea of if and what people will pay (I HIGHLY doubt this will go for the asking price):http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2678088789&category=52571

The one good thing is that your appraiser didn't give you an inflated "retail replacement value," which is always much more than even the least savvy shopper would pay at a pricey establishment. These figures always give people looking to resell the idea that they too can command this type of price. You may be able to get more if you are lucky or if the recut makes a big improvement, but it's better that you not have unreasonable expectations.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
It sounds as if you have an antique cut. There's a market for those, though it's different from the market for ideals. I don't know if recutting is a good idea. (I mean I really don't know, I'm not in the business.)

Is the stone set in an antique setting, or is it loose?

If I were you, I'd try to get the attention of Dave Atlas, an appraiser who specializes in older stones and posts on this board. He also deals in old stones, though he doesn't sell to individuals, just to the trade. He might have advice for you about what best to do with your stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results