shape
carat
color
clarity

Naturals

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I read somewhere that where there is a trigon natural on diamond that there will always be an inclusion behind it. Why is this so? What about the other type of natural, that look like lines, do they also have an inclusion behind them?

Just trying to further my education.
appl.gif

Thank you.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I take it that it is correct what I read about trigons always have inclusions behind them? Can anyone answer my initial question.

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely untrue! There is no reason this should be the case...trigons are just part of the natural crystal formation on the surface of some rough diamonds.

Trigons, are commonly found on the outer surfaces of rough, frequently octahedral rough. They are going to be quite small and not numerous if found on the girdle of a cut stone....a nice natural containing a small trigon(s) at the girdle of a well cut stone would be pretty "cool" in my opinion.

Other types of naturals are just remnants of the diamond rough left after cutting.

Leaving a bit of the rough surface, as long as it doesn't affect grading, just at the girdle is said to be a testament to the cutter's ability to get the max (wt.) out of the rough.

mdx

Brilliant_Rock
Pyramid
I think you may have seen this reference in the GIA diamond dictionary. Over the years we have traded and processes thousands of uncut diamonds and where also surprised at this statement. We have seen inclusions behind trigons but it’s certainly not that common.

Wayne
Melbourne Diamond Exchange Ltd. (Australia)

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks DiamondExpert and mdx. I see so it is not true. I cannot remember where I read it, I have read some of the GIA diamond dictionary on line so it may have been there or in a book I have or on the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results