shape
carat
color
clarity

Natural Supplements to Help Boost the Immune System for Coronavirus/Cytokine Storm

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I posted this in the middle of a long thread and I think few people will see it. This page gives a list of natural anti-virals and things that will help strengthen the immune system as as well as help if you actually get the virus or similar ones. It is not exactly the same as recommended for the regular flu, so I am glad I found this and thought I'd share especially for my natural-minded friends or those who'd like to be pro-active.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much for posting this, DS! x

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank! I’m going to start some of these.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agghh, I just stocked up on elderberry juice and echinacea tea.... thank you for posting this DS!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agghh, I just stocked up on elderberry juice and echinacea tea.... thank you for posting this DS!!

I am a strong proponent of elderberry and did stock up, too. It's amazing for colds and regular flu. I am just glad I came across the article. Better safe than sorry!

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Resrvatrol...does this cause stomach upset? I keep finding this here and there in the reviews.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Resrvatrol...does this cause stomach upset? I keep finding this here and there in the reviews.

I have never taken it except in drinking wine! It did not cause stomach upset, but I suppose it would be possible if one drank enough! lol! I'll have to research that, too, before possibly ordering it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I've had some issues with it, but not everyone will. (I have issues with red wine though so there you go.)

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Right now I take a mix of garlic, tyrosine, lactoferrin, Omega 3, B complex, C, D. Elderberry is gag inducing, I do drink Hibiscus tea though (Hibiscus comes from Jamaica I buy flowers in bulk cheap down here) and its a fantastic VitC source.

On C, I take 2 grams of Emergencee (2 packages) a day right now. Normally it would bother my stomach but def. is not the case at the moment...lol Those of us that are older please don't forget the b vitamins ore even the tyrosine because they help a lot with mood. I'm cranky from being sick, moodwise,but I'm not down in the dumps. Aside from yesterday being a wash, I do feel like I'm recovering pretty quickly (just wish it wasn't so hot here)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Arcadian I am so sorry you've been sick but glad to hear you are recovering! Thanks for the advice on the B vitamins!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sleep is the best thing to boost your immune system. Not enough, and no matter how many vitamins and minerals you take it won't matter.

Same with washing hands and not touching your face.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hope you find this helpful.

Natural Supplements and Remedies for Coronavirus:

Question:
What are natural remedies for coronavirus (COVID-19)? Do supplements like zinc, vitamin C, or herbals work?

Natural Remedies and Supplements for Coronavirus (COVID-19)? -- coronavirus mask surrounded by pills and supplements

Answer:
Many supplements and natural treatments are being promoted to prevent or treat coronavirus (COVID-19). None have been proven to work, but some have possible limited benefit. Here's what you need to know.

If you are planning to try any, be aware that ConsumerLab has tested and reviewed many of these products and it may be worthwhile to check ConsumerLab's Top Picks in each category -- based on best quality, appropriateness of strength and dosing, and value -- using the links provided below.

Of course, the most important thing you can do to avoid infection with coronavirus is to prevent exposure by following the latest recommendations of the CDC and World Health Organization and take steps to stay healthy, including getting adequate sleep and adequate (but not excessive) intakes of essential nutrients, such as vitamins C and D, as described below.

Zinc

Zinc has become one of the most popular suggestions for reducing symptoms of coronavirus. Notably, an email written by a pathologist, Dr. James Robb, that recommends using zinc lozenges such as Cold-Eeze to ward off the virus, along with other tips, has gone viral.

It's true that zinc has anti-viral properties. Zinc lozenges or other orally dissolving zinc formulas containing certain forms of zinc have been shown to reduce the severity and duration of colds, which are caused by viruses. (They appear to do this by acting directly in the throat, which is why the timing and duration of use matters when treating colds with zinc.)

Zinc has also been shown in a laboratory study to inhibit the replication of coronaviruses in cells (te Velthuis, PLoS Pathog 2010). However, there is no evidence at this time to suggest that using zinc lozenges can prevent or treat COVID-19.

Be aware that typical daily doses of zinc provided by zinc lozenges generally exceed tolerable upper limits for zinc, and for this reason, they should not be used for longer than about a week. Excessive intake of zinc can cause copper deficiency. Zinc can impair the absorption of antibiotics, and use of zinc nasal gels or swabs has been linked to temporary or permanent loss of smell.

There are several versions of Cold-Eeze and there are many other zinc-containing lozenges sold. We have tested many of these and has published its Top Picks in its Zinc Supplements and Lozenges Review, which contains additional information about using zinc lozenges, its benefits, dosing, and potential side effects.

Vitamin C

Vitamin C is vital to the function of leukocytes (white blood cells that help to fight infections) and overall immune system health. Vitamin C is also important for iron absorption, and being deficient in iron can make you more vulnerable to infections in general.

However, even for viruses like colds, the evidence that vitamin C supplements can help is modest at best: Taking high-dose vitamin C (e.g., 500 mg twice daily) before getting a cold may slightly reduce the severity and duration of a cold, but, there is inconclusive evidence as to whether taking vitamin C will help after cold symptoms develop. (The normal, recommended daily intake of vitamin C for adults from the diet and/or supplements is 75 to 120 mg. You can get about 80 to 90 mg from a cup of orange juice or sliced orange, or even more from a cup of sweet peppers, tomato juice, or cut kiwi fruit).

There is no evidence that taking a vitamin C supplement, even at high doses, can protect people from infection from coronaviruses. This strategy is being promoted on various websites and in videos on YouTube. For example, one video recommended taking a daily dose of 5,000 mg of vitamin C. It has since been removed for violating YouTube's community guidelines (likely as part of an effort by YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, and other social media sites to eliminate misinformation about COVID-19 online, although new posts and promotions for fake coronavirus cures and scams seem to appear daily). High doses of vitamin C, given intravenously, are currently being tested in COVID-19 patients in China who have developed pneumonia, but the benefit of this approach has yet to be proven.

Be aware that there are side effects and risks associated with taking high doses of vitamin C. People sometimes assume there is no harm in taking large doses because vitamin C is water-soluble (i.e. excess vitamin C is excreted from the body), but this is not the case. In addition to causing gastric distress and diarrhea, high doses of vitamin C over the long-term may increase the risk of cataracts. High-dose vitamin C can also reduce the effectiveness of certain medications and interfere with certain blood tests.

There are many vitamin C supplements on the market. ConsumerLab has tested many of these and has found several to contain almost 50% more vitamin C than listed on the label (potentially increasing the risk of adverse effects). ConsumerLab has published its Top Picks in its Vitamin C Supplements Review, which contains additional information about using vitamin C, its benefits, dosing, and potential side effects.

Garlic

Garlic has been shown in laboratory studies to inhibit certain flu and cold viruses, and one clinical trial suggests garlic supplements may help to prevent colds. However, there is no current evidence that eating garlic or taking a garlic supplement can help prevent or treat COVID-19, as noted on the World Health Organization's Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) Myth busters website.

There are many garlic supplements on the market. We have tested many of these and has published its Top Picks in its Garlic Supplements & Spices Review, which contains additional information about using garlic, its benefits, dosing, and potential side effects.

Elderberry

Elderberry extract has been shown in laboratory studies to inhibit the replication and hemagglutination of human flu viruses, including certain strains of Influenza A and B, and H1N1. Small, preliminary trials in people with the flu suggest that, taken within the first day or so of experiencing symptoms, elderberry shortens the duration of the flu, but more studies are needed to corroborate this. There is no evidence that elderberry extract can prevent COVID-19 or reduce symptoms in people who have been infected.

Our tests of elderberry extracts and supplements found that the amounts of elderberry compounds in marketed products ranged more than 2,000-fold — from as little as 0.03 mg to 69.3 mg per suggested serving., although due to lack of research, it's not clear what amount, if any, would be effective.

For people who do choose to try elderberry extract, it's helpful to know that it appears to be generally well-tolerated. However, people who are allergic to grass pollen may have allergic reactions to elderberry. Never consume raw elderberries, as these contain toxic compounds that can cause nausea, vomiting, dizziness and diarrhea.

Based on its tests and review, we have published its Top Pick in its Elderberry Supplements Review, which contains additional information about using elderberry, its benefits, dosing, and potential side effects.

Vitamin D

Vitamin D supplements, taken daily in moderate doses, may help to reduce the risk of respiratory infections and viruses such as influenza A in children and adults who are deficient (< 20 ng/mL) or severely deficient (< 10 ng/mL) in vitamin D.

Although there is not currently any research suggesting vitamin D supplements decrease the risk of coronavirus infection specifically, maintaining an adequate blood level of vitamin D (20 to 30 ng/mL -- although best not to exceed 39 ng/mL) by getting proper sun exposure (at least three times a week for about 30 minutes exposing your hands, arms, legs, and face), consuming vitamin D-fortified products (such as most milks, certain other dairy foods and some plant-based milks), or taking a vitamin D supplement is a good, safe, preventative measure for protecting against respiratory infections in general. To maintain healthy levels, only 400 to 800 IU (15 to 20 mcg) is required daily, but, to boost low levels, higher doses, such as 2,000 IU daily, are used and are generally safe. Very large doses, which have been taken periodically (such as 100,000 IU taken monthly) may not be as helpful and could even increase the risk of respiratory infections in some people.

There are many vitamin D supplements on the market. ConsumerLab has tested a wide variety and has published its Top Picks in its Vitamin D Supplements Review, which contains additional information about using vitamin D, as well as its benefits, dosing, and potential side effects.

Coconut Oil

Two researchers have highlighted preliminary research on the anti-viral effects of lauric acid, found in coconut oil, and the metabolite of lauric acid — monolaurin. They have proposed a clinical trial using virgin coconut oil (3 tablespoons daily), monolaurin (800 mg daily), and/or monocaprin (800 mg daily) in patients with COVID-19. Their suggestion was published on the Integrated Chemists of the Philippines website. They note that coconut oil, lauric acid, and monolaurin have been used to help prevent viruses in farm animals, and two small trials in people with the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) given coconut oil showed some improvements in immune system blood cell counts. However, there is no evidence to date that consuming coconut oil can prevent or treat coronavirus infections in people.

There are many coconut oils on the market and ConsumerLab has tested several popular brands. Note that large amounts of lauric acid were found only in coconut oils that have not been refined, such as several virgin and extra virgin coconut oils, while refined coconut oils do not contain much lauric acid, and MCT oils contain virtually no lauric acid (they are mainly caprylic and/or capric acids).ConsumerLab has published its Top Picks for virgin and extra virgin coconut oils in its Coconut and MCT Oils Review showing, among other things, their lauric acid content and providing additional information about using coconut oil as well its benefits, dosing, and potential side effects. Monolaurin and monocaprin are sold as supplements but, to date, have not been tested by ConsumerLab.

NAC (N-acetyl cysteine)

NAC (N-acetyl cysteine) is a synthetically modified form of the amino acid cysteine (cysteine occurs naturally in foods, whereas NAC does not). In the body, NAC is converted to the antioxidant glutathione. There is very preliminary evidence that NAC may improve certain blood markers of immune system health but there is not sufficient evidence to suggest that NAC supplementation "boosts" the immune system to the extent that it will reduce the occurrence of illness, nor prevent coronavirus infection. A clinical study using 600 mg of NAC taken twice daily during flu season found that it did not prevent infection but fewer infected people were symptomatic. Evidence is weak for its purported ability to thin mucus during infections like colds.

We have tested and reviewed a variety of NAC supplements on the market and it has published its Top Pick in its NAC Supplements Review, which contains additional information about using NAC, its benefits, dosing, and potential side effects.

Miracle Mineral Solution (Sodium Chlorite) and Chlorine Dioxide Kits

Miracle Mineral Solution (which contains 28% sodium chlorite in distilled water) and chlorine dioxide "kits" are not a solution for COVID-19 and are dangerous to drink. A number of websites and social media posts promote these products to combat coronavirus. For example, on her website, marketer Kerri Rivera touts Miracle Mineral Solution (MMS) as a "secret weapon" to fight coronavirus and keep illness from progressing. (She was banned in the state of Illinois in 2015 from making any earlier claim that MMS can cure autism.) Ingesting these products has not been shown to prevent or treat coronavirus.

These products typically contain sodium chlorite solution to be mixed with a citric acid, such as from lemon or lime juice, or another acid before drinking, or are sold with a citric acid "activator." However, adding acid to sodium chlorite produces chlorine dioxide, a bleaching agent. Sodium chlorite and chlorine dioxide are active ingredients in disinfectants and should not be swallowed, as they can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and symptoms of severe dehydration. Such reactions are not evidence that the product is "working," as claimed by some websites. In 2016, ABC's 20/20 detailed the case of a woman who died hours after drinking liquid Miracle Mineral Solution, which, the woman's husband believed, may have caused her death.

A strong warning from the FDA in 2019 advised that Miracle Mineral Solution consumers are "drinking bleach" and states: "If you're drinking "Miracle" or "Master" Mineral Solution or other sodium chlorite products, stop now."

The bottom line on supplements for coronavirus:

Although several supplements may potentially reduce symptoms of a cold or flu, none can prevent infection with coronavirus or any other virus. Nevertheless, it is always worthwhile to fortify yourself to be in the best position to fight an infection. In addition to getting adequate sleep and general nutrition, the safest way to do this with supplements is to be sure you are getting sufficient vitamin C and vitamin D, as both are important for a well-functioning immune system. As described above, this can be done with foods and/or supplements (or, for vitamin D, adequate sun exposure if you're able to get out in the sun for extended periods each week).

You can also get substantial amounts of vitamins C and D from a basic multivitamin. ConsumerLab has tested a wide variety of multivitamins and has published its Top Picks in its Multivitamin Supplements Review, which contains extensive information about the benefits and risks of multivitamins and how they compare on ingredients, quality, and price.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results