shape
carat
color
clarity

NATURAL RUSSIAN DEMANTOID GARNET

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BoxOFrocks

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone im new to the world of gems and would like to share my latest gem with you all.
its a NATURAL RUSSIAN DEMANTOID GARNET! almost 10 ct .i am buy know mean a expert in fact i am a marine engineer.
that sails the high sea a pirate some might say!
so my question to the world is this.i except the fact that its not the biggest or the bet but is it worth what i paid 4 it.
thanks boxofrocks!

9.68 ct NATURAL RUSSIAN DEMANTOID GARNET.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks very green. Are the fine inclusions I see radiating from the center the horsetail?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
What did you pay for it and where did you get it from?

Have you had it appraised and tested?

BoxOFrocks

Rough_Rock
Hi thx u 4 the posts.the gem
31.gif
was bought 4 $1200 it is 10ct thorugh ebay .
Pieces: 1
Weight: 9.68 CTS
Shape: ROUND
Colour: GREEN
Clarity: VS
Size: 12X12
Type: DEMANTOID
Luster: AWESOME
Origin: RUSSIA
Treatment none

BoxOFrocks

Rough_Rock
More the gem is going to be looked at . came through Canada .yes there is plenty of asbestoes in the stone but was told this is normal.luster is crazy nice!
thx

ma re

Ideal_Rock
If this is indeed a natural stone (which should be checked by a gemologist), than I don''t think you overpaid. However, clarity description of VS(?) and luster description of "awesome"(?!?!) don''t sound encouraging. For what I know, "awesome" is not a normally used gemological term (especially in lab reports etc.) and if this stone is Very Slightly included I should get my eyes checked ASAP. Hope you can return it for a full refund if it turns out to be a scam. Don''t mean to scare you, I''m just a bit suspicious. Good luck
2.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I''m afraid that I am very suspicious.

I had a look at it on ebay and I think you will find that the stone is a lot less ''green'' in person - I think those pictures were taken while shining a torch through the stone. I''m also having a lot of trouble seeing any ''horse-tail'' inclusion - although the stone is extremely included. His feedback on toolhaus isn''t very encouraging either.

A nearly 10ct demantoid would be practically a museum piece as stones over 1ct are rare enough.

I would suggest taking it for a full lab work-up asap. I hope you have a good return policy, sorry.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
$1200 for 10 ct demantoid raises a ton of red flags for me.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most of the "Russian" demantoid sold on ebay is from central asia as well.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Sorry--I'm highly suspicious as well. Russian demantoid is generally found in small sizes. There are many red flags here--color, size, price etc.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Hi there,

I recently asked about a 2 ct fine russian demantoid with a horsetail and was quoted about 15,000. So 1200 for 10ct, it is either not fine gem quality or it is not demantoid, if you know whai I mean.

BoxOFrocks

Rough_Rock
thanks for the in put i will get it checked out! he gave me 30 days to geta full refund so if its not the gem as stated ill return it asap!
could so one please try to teach and show me what this gem is to look like?
thanks a bunch John

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
A real 10 carat demantoid garnet would probably go for a hundred thousand or so... maybe much more. I would get the stone independently appraised or simply return it. The pictures probably aren''t of the actual stone, they are probably a stock image. In addition, I don''t know of any legitimate jeweler that uses the term "awesome" to describe the luster. Does it have a GIA, AGS, or EGL certification?

BoxOFrocks

Rough_Rock
as a new guy thank you all u have been most helpful .sometimes things happen for a reason i hope that the gem is just that a gem if not well im a box of rocks !

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you have a natural history museum near you?

BoxOFrocks

Rough_Rock
i have no clue but why such a thought?
repectfully just wanted to know why....
thanks John

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you can't get to a museum to see one in person, then here's a webpage that is very informative on them.

http://www.palagems.com/gem_spectrum7.htm

The deep chrome greens with horsetails that are present, but not so bad that they are causing clarity issues, are typically the most valuable. Size is also a factor since they rarely go above 2 carats in size, and even at 1 carat and up, the price jumps greatly for fine qualities.

BoxOFrocks

Rough_Rock
where would i send this gem to get the value and to find out what it really is.
thanks Johnny

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2009 11:11:14 PM
Author: BoxOFrocks
i have no clue but why such a thought?
repectfully just wanted to know why....
thanks John
Oh, because you expressed a desire to see a ''model'' demantoid.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/21/2009 11:24:04 PM
thanks Johnny
Richard Sheerwood, who is a gemologist/appraiser that also specializes in colored stones. He sometimes appears in RockyTalky part of this forum, and you might be able to flag him down there or some other gemologists. You DO NOT want to send that to just any gemologist since most of them really only know about diamonds, rubies, sapphires, tanzanites and emeralds.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Here is an example of a nice Russian demantoid with a horsetail:

horsetail8.JPG

This is a small stone, less than 4 mm in diameter.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
What''s a horsetail in a demantoid garnet and what is its significance?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2009 2:08:40 AM
Author: platinumrock
From what I know, they''re byssolite inclusions found only in demantoids. They''re called horsetail inclusions cause they radiate from the center and look like hairs of a horse''s tail. It was believed they''re exclusive to stones found in Russia, but some claim that even those from Namibia can exhibit them. They''re an "identifying tool" when it comes to demantoids.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2009 11:24:04 PM
thanks Johnny
To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't personally bother spending the money you will spend for an appraisal on this stone, and would just return it.

It may be a demantoid, but it is VERY far from being worth what you paid IMHO.

You don't find 'bargains' of that sort on ebay. Anyone with a real gem quality 10ct demantoid would have a lot of people interested in the stone and the price would almost certainly be in the hundreds of thousands.

This is not the case that you have found the once in a lifetime situation of a vendor who doesn't know what he is selling. This ebay vendor is selling a lot of 'awesome' demantoids and there are quite a few of his customers who have been pretty unimpressed with them looking through his negative feedback.

If you are prepared to spend a couple of hundred dollars to learn that what you bought isn't what you hoped it might be, then that is your call. Personally I would take the $1200 and buy a demantoid in the 1ct range that was a good example.

BoxOFrocks

Rough_Rock
well i have learned one thing for sure! this world is full of good people and i do think the why course of action is to do nothing i can afford to do that.i will get the rock looked over and the see what the gemoligist has to say 1200 is a sum for a bad gem.
but then again how often do you find one this size period.yes its not perfect i think the seller is honest.yes i could have bought one from the far east or a smaller one of higher Q but truth be told i think the stone is very nice .sure there are better but find me a better one thats almost 10 ct! then will have something to talk about.it is what it is. good bad or in other wise.
someone show me a 10 ct that has not be treated .....then i might have a change of heart.i play poker with the best for fun the i know doubt have a lot to learn thats why im here.i keep this stone as a learning stone!
thanks ill post the test scores as soon as i find someone that is worth a ...... need a place to send this thing to.
thank you all and look forward to learning more this is fun and a great change from what i havebeen doing for the last 25 years.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/22/2009 4:05:22 AM
Author: ma re

From what I know, they''re byssolite inclusions found only in demantoids. They''re called horsetail inclusions cause they radiate from the center and look like hairs of a horse''s tail. It was believed they''re exclusive to stones found in Russia, but some claim that even those from Namibia can exhibit them. They''re an ''identifying tool'' when it comes to demantoids.
I believe the Iranian stones also exhibit horsetails, as indicated by this article.

http://www.rockcutters.us/gem-info/demantoid-iran.html

My suspicion is that much of this supposed "Russian" material on ebay comes from Iran and Namibia. Therefore, I no longer think you can just see a horsetail and automatically conclude it''s a Russian stone. The Russian stones are typically cut better as well, especially the fine material, which also makes me suspect about the stone in question.

I''m not sure about the Iranian material, but the Namibian material seems to go olive or grey in certain lighting conditions. The finest Russian stones hold their chrome green color much better in various light sources, although there are undesirable olive/yellow Russian stones as well.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
John,
For those that love and appreciate fine gemstones, it''s not just the size that matters. There is the colour, clarity and cut to consider as well, with colour coming up tops. As an example, there''s no use collecting a 30 ct sapphire if it is so dark or so included that it doesn''t look beautiful. I''d rather spend that $1200 on something that I love and will enjoy looking at for years to come, not just for bragging rights about its size.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/22/2009 8:52:14 AM
Author: Chrono
John,
For those that love and appreciate fine gemstones, it''s not just the size that matters. There is the colour, clarity and cut to consider as well, with colour coming up tops. As an example, there''s no use collecting a 30 ct sapphire if it is so dark or so included that it doesn''t look beautiful. I''d rather spend that $1200 on something that I love and will enjoy looking at for years to come, not just for bragging rights about its size.
I agree.. I have a pair of demantoids that are just 0.70 carats each and I love them!

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2009 8:45:31 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Date: 1/22/2009 4:05:22 AM
Author: ma re

From what I know, they''re byssolite inclusions found only in demantoids. They''re called horsetail inclusions cause they radiate from the center and look like hairs of a horse''s tail. It was believed they''re exclusive to stones found in Russia, but some claim that even those from Namibia can exhibit them. They''re an ''identifying tool'' when it comes to demantoids.
I believe the Iranian stones also exhibit horsetails, as indicated by this article.

http://www.rockcutters.us/gem-info/demantoid-iran.html

My suspicion is that much of this supposed ''Russian'' material on ebay comes from Iran and Namibia. Therefore, I no longer think you can just see a horsetail and automatically conclude it''s a Russian stone. The Russian stones are typically cut better as well, especially the fine material, which also makes me suspect about the stone in question.

I''m not sure about the Iranian material, but the Namibian material seems to go olive or grey in certain lighting conditions. The finest Russian stones hold their chrome green color much better in various light sources, although there are undesirable olive/yellow Russian stones as well.

Wow, this is better than an encyclopedia! The demantoid garnet''s color is very pretty...but the name just sounds.....unpleasant. Demantoid. De-man-toid. It sounds like a medical mutation of some sort.
40.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results