shape
carat
color
clarity

Natural Round Diamond - Help!

Mbeno13

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I am looking for some advice to pick between two diamonds. I’ve already purchased both of these and am trying to decide which to return. I’ve yet to see the 1.8 ct in person. The 1.9 cost $13,250 and 1.8 ct $12,650 so there is only a small price difference between the two. Or if you think there is something better around the ~13K price point then please let me know. These both rate under 2 on the HCA scale. Thank you all for your help in advance!

908024E9-12C8-40D3-AE0A-84DB3642D9CC.png 734FC643-A5DC-4764-AA6D-A00370E45F3B.jpeg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, both of these are a little risky because the "safe zone" for low probability of light leakage is a crown angle of 35-35.5 with a pavilion angle of 40.6. It is hard for us to search for you since JA does not show the grading reports. I'll look quickly and see if I see other potential options.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I used the Pricescope search tool which allowed me to search stones with an excellent score on the cut advisor (meaning it falls into ideal cut proportions, and honestly, there was only I VS stone in the 1.7-1.99 range and it was over $16,000. The best cut stones usually will cost more.

The stone you have isn't bad. In fact, it rates excellent overall. But we usually recommend stones that get excellent on light return, fire, and scintillation, and this one gets very good on two of those. This one gets excellent on fire due to the high crown angle. If you think the stone looks beautiful and sparkly in all lighting conditions, you aren't going to be able to get a better one at that price (without sacrificing size). There's no reason to look at the 1.8 because it's cut almost exactly the same.

Light Return:Very Good
Fire:Excellent
Scintillation:Very Good
Spread:Very Good
HCA Score :1.8 - Excellent - within FIC range

Mbeno13

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for your reply! I’m willing to go with any vendor and up to 15K for the perfect stone. JA just happened to provide some of the best pictures for selection. I am also not opposed to going down to as low as a SI1 as long as the diamond is eye clean. Which can be difficult to discern from pictures alone.

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
1.9c has a thinner gridle...so no hidden weight. If I have to choose between the 2, I will get the 1,9c.

Mbeno13

Rough_Rock
Here is the ideal scope for the 1.8ct. I don’t think light performance looks ideal in the table.

7D71758C-20D8-4AD1-B8C6-9F26979A8AFB.png

headlight

Ideal_Rock
1.9c has a thinner gridle...so no hidden weight. If I have to choose between the 2, I will get the 1,9c.

Actually there is more weight in the girdle on the larger stone.
I also don’t think that would be a “hidden weight” situation; that is more often the case when the cutter can leave a little extra weight in the girdle to take the stone over the carat mark to go to the next price per carat.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I like the visual of the smaller arrows on the 1.8. It is just a more balanced look to my eye. But this is very individual. It’s like some people are drawn to small tables, just a different flavor.

Mbeno13

Rough_Rock
Would either of these be a better choice than the ones I selected?

Mbeno13

Rough_Rock
@diamondseeker2006

I was hoping you could provide your opinion on the 1.84 diamond I listed above. The 1.86 got snatched up fairly quickly, although there appeared to be some cloud issues anyway. I've asked around a bit and the general consensus is to pick the 1.8 ct due to superior arrow patterning. I would love your opinion on this.

Or if you think there are any other diamonds I should be looking at within my price range? I am struggling to find any using pricescope tool.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I draw the line for total depth at 62%...that's just me.

Mbeno13

Rough_Rock
I draw the line for total depth at 62%...that's just me.

Can I ask where you find these elusive diamonds? I've been unable to find anything meeting the ideal criteria using aggregated search engines such as pricescope and rarecarat that actually look good. Is there a better site to cross search? I could buy from Whiteflash but you are paying a premium of $2K+ or sacrificing .2ct+ for those stones

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can I ask where you find these elusive diamonds? I've been unable to find anything meeting the ideal criteria using aggregated search engines such as pricescope and rarecarat that actually look good. Is there a better site to cross search? I could buy from Whiteflash but you are paying a premium of $2K+ or sacrificing .2ct+ for those stones

Can you post pics of the 2 stones? The links are both taking me to the same stone.

Edit. Ok the links above the most recent ones work. But what stone are you comparing these new ones too?

Mbeno13

Rough_Rock
Can you post pics of the 2 stones? The links are both taking me to the same stone.

Edit. Ok the links above the most recent ones work. But what stone are you comparing these new ones too?

I was trying to see if the 1.84 was a better choice than the 1.9 or 1.8 I bought from the original post. It has a better crown angle at 35 and overall better HCA score due to that. The general consensus I got was that the 1.8 has the best alignment of facets, although the crown angle of 36 and table of 58 is a bit outside ideal range. 1.9 is bigger and cut almost exactly the same at the 1.8. 1.84 is technically better but arrow patterning is a bit off.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the 1.84 better than the 1.9 because I prefer thicker arrows. It's my favorite of the ones you've posted

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results