shape
carat
color
clarity

Natural opal?

KLC

Shiny_Rock
I stumbled across this welo opal cab, 10.2×8.2mm.
It's supposed to be natural and untreated. But the price is just too cheap so I'm suspicious. Also, the bottom edge of the stone looks almost transparent. Could use some opinions. Screenshot_20230102-070127~3.png Screenshot_20230102-070006~2.png

KLC

Shiny_Rock
Just to clarify, I'm not considering buying this stone. I'm trying to learn how to spot a natural opal from a lab created or doublet/triplet.

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
It looks like a regular low quality white opal to me. When it is taken off the black background it will appear nearly transparent. Pictures of the back and sides would be helpful, though, to say for sure.

Reactions: KLC

KLC

Shiny_Rock
It looks like a regular low quality white opal to me. When it is taken off the black background it will appear nearly transparent. Pictures of the back and sides would be helpful, though, to say for sure.

Thank you. The transparent band at the bottom made me think it wasn't natural. That and the twenty dollar price. That seems low for a two carat natural opal, even a low quality one. I saw some lab created ones with the same band. So it made me wonder.

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
I can't tell if the "band" is a reflection or the flash or what. These Ethiopian white opals are plentiful and cheap. They really don't look like anything without the black background and photoshop. I know, because I have one myself.

772DC4DB-DA67-4FC6-A08F-330F9DB29652.jpeg

D2420AA9-3B35-4A2E-9EBA-17C6A8E391BC.jpeg

The best shot I could get:

E44F1802-3868-42C4-9495-0AEAAF5EF71D.jpeg

KLC

Shiny_Rock
I can't tell if the "band" is a reflection or the flash or what. These Ethiopian white opals are plentiful and cheap. They really don't look like anything without the black background and photoshop. I know, because I have one myself.

772DC4DB-DA67-4FC6-A08F-330F9DB29652.jpeg

D2420AA9-3B35-4A2E-9EBA-17C6A8E391BC.jpeg

The best shot I could get:

E44F1802-3868-42C4-9495-0AEAAF5EF71D.jpeg

Wow, it really is transparent. I didn't expect that. Thank you.

cocotate

Rough_Rock
Also, the bottom edge of the stone looks almost transparent. Could use some opinions.

Nothing wrong with that transparent band/glow. You'll notice that in practically all transparent welo opals.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Natural commercial grade Welo Opal.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Many Welo Opals are transparent. Some fantastic Welo Opals out there but they will be more expensive, anywhere from $50.00 to $300.00 a carat (depends on vendor) on the internet. Brick and Mortar retail can be over $1000.00 a carat.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree it’s Welo opal.
You have to avoid any perfumes, lotions or oils with Welo opal. It’s hydrophane material meaning it absorbs water so it will also potentially absorb other liquids.
I have a some Welo opals that went a very unattractive yellow body colour with reduced colour play because of wearing along with perfume.
Opals in rings or bracelets should be considered “special occasion” wear only.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Agree it’s Welo opal.
You have to avoid any perfumes, lotions or oils with Welo opal. It’s hydrophane material meaning it absorbs water so it will also potentially absorb other liquids.
I have a some Welo opals that went a very unattractive yellow body colour with reduced colour play because of wearing along with perfume.
Opals in rings or bracelets should be considered “special occasion” wear only.

Yes, you must be careful. Good advice.

With that said, I've had a Welo Opal ring for several years and probably wear it 60 times a year, no problems, looks as good as the day it was set, but I know how to take care of it. What to avoid. I do not wear it while eating, in the shower, washing my hands, hard work or working out, anything that I can get liquid other than water on it.

If a Welo Opal does get a liquid on it other than water or clear liquid, wash it off for ten to 30 seconds with warm to hot (not to hot) tap water. Towel the stone off thoroughly, repeat one more time. Do it right after it happens or very soon. It takes a while for liquids to absorb in Welo Opal. The thicker the liquid the longer it takes.

If people do this, they will have an Opal they can pass down.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results