shape
carat
color
clarity

Natural Blue Spinel

mborda

Rough_Rock
Well, after MUCH research, 2 gemolists, RI readings, microscope viewings, my spinel ring has been determined to be a natural stone.
Now...what to do with it?
It's really too large for me to use as a focal point on my 25th anniversary ring. 18 cts. Isn't something you wear everyday unless your a movie star!
If I consider selling it, how do I go about that?
Should I have it re-cut into something smaller I can wear?

20150330_135157.jpg

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Assuming there is no emotional attachment, I would sell it and buy a nice every-day sized spinel if that is what you want.

To sell, I would first get an AGL report. Because it's too large for a gem brief, you would need to get a prestige id report...$170 but you will get that back in what someone is willing to pay (assuming AGL validates your findings). Most aren't willing to pay what a spinel that size would be worth for without a reputable lab report. Good luck!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lilmosun|1464561489|4037875 said:
To sell, I would first get an AGL report. Because it's too large for a gem brief, you would need to get a prestige id report...$170 but you will get that back in what someone is willing to pay (assuming AGL validates your findings). Most aren't willing to pay what a spinel that size would be worth for without a reputable lab report. Good luck!

Agree completely. Good luck with your sale!

mborda

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your replies! I'm assuming if have to send it through the mail which makes me nervous. Should I just send to GIA? Should I go through a jeweler?

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGL is the better lab when it comes to colored gemstones. You do not need to go through a jeweler; it will only add to your costs as the jeweler will want some amount of money for acting as the middleman. Mail the item to AGL via USPS Registered Mail which is very, very safe, and be sure to include adequate insurance on the item.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

If the stone comes back from AGL as a natural blue spinel, I would consider using a good auction house to sell that ring. The good auction houses have jewelry auctions on a regular basis , and you could always put a reserve on the item, so that you get a price acceptable to you. I like the color very much and I would consider keeping it.JMO

Good Luck,

Annette

CaraMish

Shiny_Rock
Wow! I would keep the current bezel, have it made into a pendant and wear it every day! :love:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the time to have the ring unmounted and sent to an independent lab for analysis. For something that large, I would want more than just a gem brief.

http://aglgemlab.com/
http://aglgemlab.com/pricelist/

After their report comes back with verification on what it is, if you want to sell it, you can get an appraisal and, you may want to opt for an auction house. They do make their money off you, but you get access to their buyers.

You can also opt to sell it privately but be aware you may not be able to sell it for a long time.

The stone is very interesting, the color is nice, and should you keep it, of course it will be one heck of an heirloom!

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Whatever you doplease do not recut that!!!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A natural blue spinel in that size with that color (not too dark or grey) will be worth a small fortune. The lab report will be it's crown.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results