shape
carat
color
clarity

Narrowing the setting down (mara and cut nut please look)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Beansy

Shiny_Rock
Hey guys, for all of you that know me this is good news,

The boy and I went ring shopping this weekend (his idea), and he loved the Scott Kay pave setting (you can find it on the Scott Kay website under "diamond rings," and is the one on the lower right on page 1. The center stone is flanked by 2 smaller rounds followed by a single row of pave stopping half way down the band. What do you think?

We would go with the smaller e-ring with total weight being .32 cts, and the jeweler is asking $1740, almost as much as I was expecting the boy to pay on the whole set. My questions are:

Do you think there would be a better price break on getting this custom made?

And, would it be worth my time to pick the diamonds myself, or will they be "just as good?"

Thanks for the time

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Beansy...

I think this is the ring you are referring too. The Scott Kay site is done in macromedia flash and makes copying and pasting images impossible. I imported this picture over from another site who sells Scott Kay Jewelry.

The Price is the same and is no doubt because of the suggested retail Price. Ring Manufactures who have vendors or businesses sell their rings sometimes have a mandatory retail mark-up. I have visited 3 other sites and have found your same style with the same retail qouted price of $1730.00.

Nice setting and is in par with what other ring manufacturers are offering in a similiar style in that price range for platinum. So no I don't think you are getting ripped off or misqouted...

You can get a similiar ring made for maybe less depending on the specs and the quality of diamonds you have set in the band, but this will take some shopping around. There are some very knowledgable and skilled platinum smiths...Look around...Greg at Ringdesigner does excellent work and so does Mark Morell....but there are many other bench jewelers who are very talented at fair affordable prices. Tradeshop also does excellent work...

Email your ideas and see what a similiar design might cost if you want to take this route...

Hope this helps....
wavey.gif

exring.JPG

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Josh--changed the ID eh?
2.gif

FYI whenever in the future you (or anyone!) wants to save an image from a site that uses Macromedia Flash or has disabled right-click/saving etc, just do a screen shot (print screen button) and then paste that into a program like Photoshop or Powerpoint. It will paste in the image of your entire screen. Then use the cropping tool in Photoshop or Powerpoint (or similar programs) and crop out the image you want, then just save that image itself as a jpg or gif or similar. It works great and 99% of the time it retains the quality of the original picture so your image does not pixelate. Works like a charm. Ahh the wonders of technology..
2.gif

That said....really cool setting Beansy!! I actually think the price is pretty good. I am not sure what a competitive price would be for a custom set, but our setting was $2k and it had prong set eternity style (all the way around). So if this has it partway and has the other 2 side stones for $1760 and its branded Scott Kay...that does not sound unreasonable at all esp from a B&M. I tried a Scott Kay pave ring when I was looking (it was one that was set with a 1c center and flanked with 2 yellow diamond trillions, and then had pave partway around the band on both sides....amazing and different look!) and it was a real charmer. I think the setting you chose would look LOVELY and I don't think the price is overinflated. Now if you said that it was $3k...yes I'd tell you to get it custom! It would really depend on who you found to do the work, etc. I have no idea what competitive pricing is like. If you can find someone who can do it or similar for around $1k, great...but it may be more of a hassle than its worth?

sylvesterii

Shiny_Rock
you beat me to the punch mara...like that has never happened before...the print screen button is a highly overlooked key. you can save ANY picture on your screen. no matter how hard people try to avoid it. you can also look at the source information to find out the exact location of the image..but that may be a lot tougher than just using print screen and cropping.

Beansy

Shiny_Rock
WOW, that is the ring by the way, thanks,

Cut rock and Mara what great, and helpful advice. I knew I came to the right place. After months now of looking, it feels really good to have it possibly narrowed down, and that the prices are right.

Cut rock, you really did your homework. I've been to solomonbrothers site, but couldn't really find the info I wanted like you did. That really helps, and knowing they will ask about the same price everywhere really takes a load off.

Mara, I think I will at least shop around like you suggested at some of the places Cut rock mentioned, but I agree with the fact that sometimes it might be less stressfull just going with his setting. I have a feeling that after all the researching we do here, I may be stressing over every little melee stone. Although this would be nice to do, I don't know if I can come out of that alive. I think I will focus my energies on getting the center stone now.

PS. Thanks for informing me about the price of your e-ring. It's nice to compare to others. Pave is just so apealing.

Thanks a bunch guys, hugs from St. Pete

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results