shape
carat
color
clarity

Narrowing it down....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Tek

Rough_Rock
My First Post!!! I casually started looking at diamonds for my girlfriend for about 1-2 years now. Mainly just going to retail stores. However, once I discovered this forum and diamondtalk.com, I have learned more about diamonds in two weeks than I have in the last two years. It''s funny to see the look of the salesman faces at a retail store when I start really asking them tough questions. Most of them flat out lie. So, I have turned to online vendor who have been incredibly helpful. So, I have narrowed it down to several and wondered what you all think. I am torn between size vs color/clariy. I know I want something of very good cut. Hearts and Arrows is very desirable but I''ll settle for something with strong Hearts and Arrows like symmetry but not fully branded as such to save on cost.

First off I''d like to say all the online vendors are incredibly helpful and informative. I am still somewhat scared of making such a purchase on line, but I have alot of confidence in these vendors especially after reading all the great testimonials.

(carat, color, clarity, depth %, table %, crown angle, pavil angle, culet)

1) 1.28, F, VS1, 61.5%, 56%, 34.7, 40.7, 0.2 $9984
2) 1.58, H, VVS2, 61.2%, 55.2%, 34.2, 41.0, 0.3 $12,437
3) 1.39, E, VS1, 61.5%, 56%, 33.9, 40.4, 0.2 $11,804
4) 1.564, G, VVS2, 60.4%, 56%, 33.9, 40.9, 0.2 $13,876
5) 1.37, G, VVS1, 59.8%, 57%, 34.1, 40.6, 0,2 $10,513

1) http://www.superbcert.com/Shop_By_Product/Diamond_Details.cfm/P/599/N/1;1
2) http://www.superbcert.com/Shop_By_Product/Diamond_Details.cfm/P/606/N/1;1
3) http://www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com/diamond_detail.cfm?did=6881173
4) http://www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com/diamond_detail.cfm?did=6859215
5) http://www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com/diamond_detail.cfm?did=6908650

Well, I am currently leaning towards #3, #1, #4/#2, #5.

I love that #3 is an E color with very good clarity at VS1. However, 1.39 is an odd kinda carat weight and I figure why not get 1.50. Then again, you won''t be able to see the difference between the 1.39 and 1.50 in all honesty. I like #1 for it''s great color and good clarity as well. It''s also a Superbcert which is a huge plus to me, and it''s the cheapest of the lot. #4/#2 I am torn between because of the color. I really wanted G and above, but I have been in contact with Barry of Superbcert and assured me the H color of #2 would look incredibly white from the fantastic cut. #4 is very close to #2, but it''s a G color, but is the G color worth $1400 dollars more than the H? Lastly #5 is a really great VVS1, with a good G color and 1.37 carat size.

Ultimately, I need to see these wonderful diamonds in person at an appraiser. It''s just so hard to find something 1.25-1.50 carat, F/G in color, VVS-VS clarity, and ideal to super ideal cut. Budget is 12,000-13,000.

Thanks for any advice or thoughts.

You guys are the best!

Dang, this is alot longer than I thought
1.gif

Tek

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
[...] However, 1.39 is an odd kinda carat weight and I figure why not get 1.50. Then again, you won't be able to see the difference between the 1.39 and 1.50 in all honesty.

...[...] something 1.25-1.50 carat, F/G in color, VVS-VS clarity, and ideal to super ideal cut. Budget is 12,000-13,000.
----------------

You know what? most people think the same "this is a weird CT weight, let's buy a round number" UGH! This is precisely why you are going to buy for the "roundness" of the number instead the quality of the diamond - literally, diamond makers would go to great length to cut diamonds just above 1 or 1.5 cts so that they can bank on this perception of benchmark weights. Not only this add unnecessarily to the price, but the diamonds cut for weight rather than the optical properties of their shape have better chances to be not so great. All quality concerns aside (surely there are great diamonds with these *premium* weights), why let the last 0.15cts add 30% to the price ?

I would also wipe that VVS from there: unless you just like the sound of it, that extra degree of clarity does not have any visual impact at all: VVS1 and VS2 just look the same all the time. Of course, you may want more than the look... but this is a separate concern.

Your options are rather diverse... Even the basic Cs would narrow them down esp. that it may never be feasible to line all these up in front of you. Considering the logistics, narrowing these down to 2 choices is more reasonable if you insist to compare the diamonds in person. Otherwise, among 3-4 stones you should be able to get comparable info on cut quality and optics and these would most likely tell the winner anyway.

Fo example the range of color of your stone sgoes E-F-G-H and clarity VS1-VVS2-VVS1. Given that there are quite a few diamonds out there to choose from, I would surely focus on F-VS and VS2 rather than VS1.

Among your diamonds: the F-VS1 looks like the best "value": it is top stone without dwelling into the last couple of grades that have no impact on the look of the stone.

And More Dimaonds!
1.4cts E VS1 H&A
1.3cts F VS1 H&A
1.6 F SI1 H&A

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An this is what a search at the same source for F-G, 1.2 -2cts, VS1-SI1 produced
2.gif
Not that I am that focused on GoodOldGold, but you seem to be looking for stones with already known specs, and diamonds form this PS-honored shop were not on your list. The list below seems rather worthy of consideration.

s.JPG

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Here are some more diamonds for your consideration.
1.gif

DS1202004.jpg

Tek

Rough_Rock
Val: Thank you for your comments. I have been reading alot of your posts, and they are very insightful. I'll check out those links. I do have alot of GOG diamonds written down, but I didn't want to add those to the list which is already large.
1.gif
You make a good point with the size of my finalist list. It's still rather large with 5 items on there instead of 2-3. I guess that goes to show that I am still in the process of trying to decide what is most important. The woman says she'd rather have a smaller very brilliant diamond as opposed to a larger dull diamond, but the Texan in me wants to have it brilliant and large. We like'em big in Texas ya know!

PQ: Thanks for the info, I'll check those out as well. I keep forgetting this site has a great search tool for online vendors.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha Ha! "small and brilliant" versus "big and brilliant" just means to me that you want to get the best cut and largest size for whatever decent color and clarity. Here "decent" means "white in YOUR opinion" and eye clean. Those "colorless" versus "near colorless" labels are just a safe bet by the makers of the grading system, and clarity greades do not designate the probable appearence of the piece of jewelry.

This is more about a 2cts H-SI (H&A, greatest light return achievable without in-built light source) than a 1.2 F-VVS.
2.gif

H and SI sound bad? Well, those have to be seen to be believed. No way to get the impression on paper and shopping for diamonds is not a branch of statistics, after all
11.gif

How does this sound?

PS: Thanks for the nice comment. I hope to be helpful, of course
1.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 1/20/2004 10:24:43 AM valeria101 wrote:

Ha Ha! 'small and brilliant' versus 'big and brilliant' just means to me that you want to get the best cut and largest size for whatever decent color and clarity. Here 'decent' means 'white in YOUR opinion' and eye clean. Those 'colorless' versus 'near colorless' labels are just a safe bet by the makers of the grading system, and clarity greades do not designate the probable appearence of the piece of jewelry.

This is more about a 2cts H-SI (H&A, greatest light return achievable without in-built light source) than a 1.2 F-VVS.
2.gif

H and SI sound bad? Well, those have to be seen to be believed. No way to get the impression on paper and shopping for diamonds is not a branch of statistics, after all
11.gif

How does this sound?

PS: Thanks for the nice comment. I hope to be helpful, of course
1.gif

----------------

Val made a very interesting point with her comment. Going back to your original post, now that you've learned some things about diamonds, you said,

"It's funny to see the look of the salesman faces at a retail store when I start really asking them tough questions. Most of them flat out lie."

Have you visited any stores/shops that sell really well cut diamonds? If not, then you need to. Go visit some diamond brokers. Diamond brokers tend to carry much better cut diamonds than most jewelry stores.

There are 5 C's to buying a diamond. You have established your budget, COST. You have learned you want performance that comes from CUT. And, you have an idea of size, CARAT WEIGHT. Now its a matter of balancing the COLOR and CLARITY to find your perfect diamond.

Color costs money. Why pay the premium for an E or F, when a G or H may work for you. You may find that an I with a touch of blue flour is great for you as well. By viewing well cut diamonds you can learn the color range you are comfortable with.

Clarity costs money. If you can find a 100% eye clean SI, that will help you boost your buying power. Why pay the premium for VS and VVS clarity needlessly.

Casual conversation tends to run toward size. With very well cut diamonds, people hardly ever ask color and clarity. They are just too WOW'd with the sparkle to ask. If they do happen to ask about the color and clarity, most people are totally surprised to hear H, SI1/2. They tend to say things like, "I thought it was a F!", and "Wow, I don't see any inclusions!"

After I found PS, I did a lot of legwork too. I called around town and found places that had well cut diamonds on hand. I went to shops and looked in person. Seeing well cut diamonds in person will help you apply what you have learned here.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results