shape
carat
color
clarity

Narrowing down on lab-grown diamond for engagement ring

Benoit-G

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I am down to 2 lab-grown diamond options that I'd like your input on, and I welcome additional suggestions as well.

Specs on both:
  1. Shape = round
  2. Approx. 1.12 ct
  3. Color = D
  4. Cut = Excellent
  5. Table 57%
  6. Depth: 61.5%
  7. Crown Angle: 34.5
  8. Pavilion Angle: 40.8
I believe these are right on some consensus specs for a round diamond, both sit in the intersection between GIA Excellent and AGS Ideal. Both yields a 1.2 HCA score and 9.5 cut score on Stone Algo. I have no idea if this helps or not. The difference between option A and B is the clarity, IF on A ($1,800) and VVS1 on B ($1,385).

Some questions:
  • Are these good specs?
  • Does upgrading from VVS1 to IF is worth the +/- 420$ difference?
  • Any other options you believe would be better for the money proportion wise?

Thanks a lot!!!

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Generally no need to pay for higher clarity than VS1 for an eye clean diamond. Numbers look fine but sometimes the cut precision can still be somewhat lacking. Any photos/videos? Unless these are branded diamonds pricing is on the high side.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The difference between a vvs1 and an IF will not be visible without magnification. Maybe not even WITH magnification unless you know exactly what to look for. That doesn’t mean it’s not worth it but it does pin the issue what you count as desirable. The usual reason to buy d/if is the bragging rights that it’s the ‘ best’ grade. Everything else is, well, less. Thats why they cost more. Thats why people buy them anyway. Is this the case for you?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found another option for you that will save a fair amount of money.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hello and welcome to PriceScope, Benoit-G!
Found some more great options for you to look at...these are all clean HPHT with no apparent blue nuance.
You can search the grading report numbers at some of the other popular online sellers to price compare and/or ask for price matching if there is a specific seller that you'd like to work with.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results