shape
carat
color
clarity

Narrowed it down to 2 settings - please help me pick

metromom

Shiny_Rock
I think I have narrowed it down to the following 2 settings for my Jerry Newman emeral cut pink topaz.

1. Three stone with double claw prongs and brilliant shield side stones

2. Center stone with double claw prongs (I know they aren't clawed in the picture) flanked by 3 .08 diamond melee on each side

Pics are attached, and also a reminder pic of my topaz.

Thanks!!

lmshields.jpg

thecityofpurpleozrighthandring.jpg

ptopaz1.jpg

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm, a beautiful stone!

I think it would look great in the 3-stone. Its got similar proportions to the diamond in the first pic and that ring is so classic looking.

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
First one, without a doubt :twirl:

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I personally like the second one with that coloring. I think it's more delicate and feminine which goes along with the soft color.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go with the first one.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
another vote for the first one! :)

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock
I think the first one is nicer as well. It's more unique and just beautiful. :)

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
First one. It's similarly classical to the cut of the stone. Either will look really gorgeous, though!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the first one for the dimensions of your stone.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
First one.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I like the second setting better, but with more delicate-looking prongs on all of the stones.

ETA: Which one are you leaning towards?

fussykiki

Shiny_Rock
I like the first setting.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First one. Great stone!

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
I love them both. If you're going for something more feminine and delicate, definitely #2. If you want something more fiercely elegant, then #1 for sure.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both will work but #1 is different and elegant.

metromom

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone for your comments! I really love both. The first one is almost double the price of the second one, so I am not sure if I love it twice as much :love:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Probably because the rounds are smaller and easier to obtain, while the shields might be custom cut (uncommon request).

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you went with #1, would tapered baguettes be an acceptable sidestone alternative? For me, I think they would perform almost as well as the bullets in highlighting your gorgeous Pink Topaz while still delivering some nice bling of their own. Certainly they would be easier to find and possibly could be standard calibrated sizes... which would help with pricing. Just a thought!

metromom

Shiny_Rock
marymm|1310563246|2967963 said:
If you went with #1, would tapered baguettes be an acceptable sidestone alternative? For me, I think they would perform almost as well as the bullets in highlighting your gorgeous Pink Topaz while still delivering some nice bling of their own. Certainly they would be easier to find and possibly could be standard calibrated sizes... which would help with pricing. Just a thought!

Thanks for that. I actually initially thought the same thing, and went into a regular jewelry store to test that out. I didn't like the look unfortunately. I think beause my stone is so rectangular, the tapered gaguettes just made it look like a cross, instead of a three stone, if that makes sense? It's too bad, as yes, that would have definitely made it much more affordable since it's such a standard setting.

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
You could go the other way, and use trillions...?

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
metromom|1310566193|2967996 said:
marymm|1310563246|2967963 said:

Thanks for that. I actually initially thought the same thing, and went into a regular jewelry store to test that out. I didn't like the look unfortunately. I think beause my stone is so rectangular, the tapered gaguettes just made it look like a cross, instead of a three stone, if that makes sense? It's too bad, as yes, that would have definitely made it much more affordable since it's such a standard setting.

That is great you were able to check out the tapered-baguette option -- so helpful when we can actually eyeball it ourselves, right? My only other thought is -- what if those shields were done in something like very pale champagne zircon? It looks like the sidestones are bezelled so the zircons should be protected enough -- and the slight warmth of the pale champagne zircons should play very well with the Pink Topaz. If you prefer white though, then I'd probably bite the bullet (bad pun) and go for the bullet diamonds. For me, the rounds (almost) work with the squarish stone but (again IMHO) I'm not sure they would best complement your rectangular radiant.

pkanawha

Rough_Rock
I like the first one far better. Great look and I think it works well with the elongated stone. (Nice stone, by the way!) It looks sophisticated & understated. The second one looks almost like a an inexpensive ring with some cz stones.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is something so pristine, elegant and classic about your stone that it just begs to be in a setting like the first one. I love the ideas of Maryamm; if you could live with a touch of a color in the side stones, zircons could be great.

Since you're not sure you love the first setting twice as much as the second, I would suggest you think about whether or not you would end up feeling like you "settled" if you chose the second. If not, then go with the second and save the money!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I looked really hard at the picture and I see a pair of claw prongs + a chevron prong for the bullet sidestone. I think the step reflection plus girdle reflection is giving it the appearance of being bezeled. This is more apparent on the left sidestone.

metromom

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1310644227|2968657 said:
I looked really hard at the picture and I see a pair of claw prongs + a chevron prong for the bullet sidestone. I think the step reflection plus girdle reflection is giving it the appearance of being bezeled. This is more apparent on the left sidestone.

Chrono, you are totally right, I see it too!

Another option to stay with the look of the first setting is to use traps, or double tapered baguettes. Much more common than shields, therefore less expensive while staying with a similar look.

If I went with traps, would you recommend step cut traps for a uniform look or brilliant traps for a nice contrast??

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm concerned the traps are going to be expensive for the same reasons as the bullet/shield sides. The idea of double tapered baguettes is a good alternative.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I much prefer the first one, especially for that stone

metromom

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone for all opinions and suggestions.

I have decided to go with a three stone with trap sides. So the center will be in double claw prongs with small traps and delicate prongs. White gold. I have chosen Whiteflash to do this custom. I am so excited, and will post the CADs once I receive them.

Inspiration pic attached.

3leontrap.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whiteflash seems to be doing good job...

lil425

Shiny_Rock
Both settings are beautiful but since your stone is elongated like the first setting I think I would go with that one. Wichever you pick, you will have a great ring!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results