shape
carat
color
clarity

Narrowed down my choices help me choose

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

techjeff

Rough_Rock

I’ve narrowed down my choice to the following two diamonds:

Price: $ 1,680 Price: $ 1,450
Shape: Princess Shape: Princess
Carat weight: 0.68 Carat weight: 0.65
Cut: Good Cut: Good
Color: E Color: H
Clarity: SI2 Clarity: VS1
Certificate: GIA Certificate: GIA
Depth: 62.7% Depth: 75.2%
Table: 65% Table: 73%
Polish: Good Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Good Symmetry: Good
Girdle: Thin to slightly thick Girdle: Medium to slightly thick
Culet: None Culet: None
Fluorescence: None Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 5.27*4.99*3.13 Measurements: 4.83*4.68*3.52
Ratio: 1.06 Ratio: 1.03
The cut on both are good but would it make a huge difference if it was very good? Also the VS1 vs SI2. Does anyone think the differences will be significant? I’m want to purchase this week please give me your input. My girl wanted a .34ct diamond and I want to surprise her with something almost double in size. Just need your help if these diamonds appear to be good, and the price is better on both vs a brick store.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know a lot about princess cuts, but based on the information you posted, my choice would be the SI2, E color. It faces up larger than the second stone, and I would not pay for VS1 clarity unless I was purchasing a step-cut diamond. Have you seen these two together to compare or are they an on-line vendor?

techjeff

Rough_Rock
Its'' from an online vendor, I''m unable to compare them side by side, I only have the specs. What are your thoughts on costs?

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
The price seems good for the first one. The second one I'm not fond of so even though the price seems low, I would choose the first one.

Did you use the search bar at the top of this page to get comparisons? There are quite a few in your spec. range to consider.

I emailed another PS member who I know is a wiz at pricess specs, and hopefully she will chime in soon.

ETA: As I know little about princess cuts, check out the DIY cut grading here.

techjeff

Rough_Rock
Thankyou
emsmile.gif

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey Jeff,

The first question: who says that the cut on both diamonds is ''good''. It is not part of the GIA-grade. What does ''good'' mean then? In most cases in diamonds, ''good'' means just below acceptable. Are you fine with that?

Then, is the SI2 eye-clean? If not, does it bother you?

In any case, with the little info available, I think that the first diamond is spready, but is probably lifeless. I definitely do not like the basic measurements. You might however be fine with that.

The second stone has basic measurements, which could indicate a rather well-cut stone. However, this is a matter of probability, and we cannot tell you without having all the angles.

Live long,

techjeff

Rough_Rock
Please tell me what other info should I provide outside of the following information I've listed for both stones? Here is what I've provided:

Price:
Shape:
Carat weight:
Cut:
Color:
Clarity:
Certificate:
Depth:
Table:
Polish:
Symmetry:
Girdle:
Culet:
Fluorescence:
Measurements:
Ratio:

I got this information and settings from JamesAllen, please advise me.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
crown and pavilion angles are especially helpful. if you are looking at stones from jamesallen have them send you some idealscope pics as well.
2.gif

techjeff

Rough_Rock
They just sent me the GIA Dossier report and sarin data. I''m going to attach it to this post. This is for the .68 CT they do not have it for the .65 ct. What are your thoughts on the .68 ct? Is it a good buy at that price?

Dossier.jpg

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
With these Sarin-data, and checking these on the AGS-cutting guidelines, it shows that this first stone is AGS-5 at best.

Live long,

researcher

Ideal_Rock
I would RUN from the first stone. YUCK!!! That''s going to be a dead and lifeless stone as Paul hinted at. Not only would the first stone be rectangular, but it''s going to leak light like crazy. The second stone does not have any glaring red flags, so it MIGHT be worth considering. I like the table/depth combo, but, as Belle said, we need to know the crown height and pavilion angles. Also, if you can get an ideal scope image that will help. Now, I know MANY people will disagree with me, but I think that, with a princess, it''s good to get a stone with VG or EX on symmetry. It''s not a deal-breaker for me, but sometimes the stones with "good" symmetry don''t always have the expected look of a princess.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results