shape
carat
color
clarity

Name the price....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

damo

Rough_Rock
of a 1 carat, vs2 H colour diamond

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
You'd have to give us info's about lab, shape, proportions, finish, symetry and so on.
1.gif
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
An *excellently* cut 1c H VS stone would go for between $5500-6500

(pulled some stones on Pscope and found that as the range for HCA scorers under 2.0 AGS 0 ACA or H&A or similar stones)

Keep in mind that 'excellently cut' does not just mean the jeweler tells you its their 'best cut'. How I refer to it here equals angles, numbers and resulting calculations.

damo

Rough_Rock
ok, its on a GIA cert. 1.00carat, H colour, VS2 clarity, with "very good" symmatry and "very good" polish and no fluorescence.
thats all the details i have at present.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmmmm maybe $4-5k. Depends on if you are talking retail or online as well.

damo

Rough_Rock
does the "very good" symmetry on the cert refer to the cut?

I'm talking kind of retail, from a dealer in Londons Hatton Gardens. For that stone set in platinum shank i've been quoted 4100GBP which is approx 6500USD i think.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
No it specifically refers to the symmetry and polish, however 'excellently' cut stones for the most part will have excellent symmetry and polish (GIA cert) or ideal polish and symm (AGS cert). So for a VG VG polish/symm stone, you could have a very pretty stone that is still very nice, but it would not be considered the cream of the crop from a numbers standpoint.

That is just a rough encapsulation from a consumer like you who has learned a little about the P's and Q's of diamonds. Without more numbers, people can't really tell you any more (e.g. get crown and pavilion information from the Sarin as GIA reports dont have the info you'd need).

If you are not adverse to the idea, I'd highly suggest looking online at some reputable vendors. I went onto Pscope and pulled about 8 diff stones that are around 1c H VS for the $5500-6500 that I'd posted, and these are top notch, cream of the crop stones, branded Hearts and Arrows, unbranded H&A, branded SuperIdeal cuts..etc. None of these are VG VG but all are EX EX or ID ID. For the same money, I would at least check it out. You can find it from the homepage of Pricescope, click on 'cut quality' on the top right hand side and enter your parameters.

A regular platinum 4 or 6 prong solitaire setting will be around $400 from an online vendor, give or take a few bucks. Many of the online vendors will also ship overseas etc.

Good luck!
1.gif

damo

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your help, will try and find out that information...

damo

Rough_Rock
Hi Mara

few more details from the cert:

depth 57.5%
table 65%
girdle, slightly thick to thick faceted
culip small

measurements

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
A few comments from your extra details....

Get crown and pavilion angles..have them run a Sarin report or get the #'s if they have one already. Then you can plug the #s in the HCA to get a basic idea of what this stone may look like (fire, scint, etc).

First off, the table on this stone is VERY LARGE. I have a larger tabled stone at 61% and I wouldn't really recommend anything over 62% as that is where you may start to get a fish-eye or a darkness in the table that the better cut stones wouldn't have. Also, the depth is very shallow for this type of table. You can also see this if you look at the measurements you posted. A well cut 1c stone would have the measurements of 6.5mm diameter (your diameter for this stone fits that bill for the most part) and depth of 4.0. At 3.73mm, this stone is shallow. That's not a BAD thing persay, but you'd need the crown and pav angles to know more. Lastly, the girdle is not desirable in the slightly thick to thick range, a more desirable girdle would be something like medium or medium to slightly thick. A too-thick girdle means you also possibly lose some carat weight in the girdle--so no one sees it up top.

Type these #'s in the AGA cut chart at www.gemappraisers.com, I bet you will find that this stone is something like a 3-4 rating as opposed to the 1-2 you would want to stay within to get an excellently cut or even a 'very good' stone. IMO as a consumer who did the same research you are doing and ended up with a slightly non-ideal stone that still sparkles beautifully, I would steer clear of this one as it's just a little too out there. Keep looking--esp since the price they are quoting you for this is at the very high end....and you can get an excellently cut stone online from a reputable vendor with Hearts & Arrows and perfect symmetry for LESS.

Good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results