shape
carat
color
clarity

Name one thing you love about being older

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even though I continue to be a work in progress, inside and out, over 50 I feel more integrated body and mind and soul, and more easy in my own skin.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not overly caring what others think of me.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Confidence, menopause, grandkids, wisdom, spending money

Q

Queenie60

Wisdom, confidence, the ability to say what I think and of course, tactfully! Discretionary income and knowing what I like to purchase! And most of all, I am at peace with who I am and what I am doing. The appreciation of sharing an experience with someone I care about, for instance, traveling, a nice bottle of wine, seeing the fall foilage (breathtaking) and living life to the fullest. I love life, and considering that I have just about 30 to 35 years left on this planet (God willing) I'm going to enjoy all of the hard work my husband did the past decades. I can't just name one thing (sorry) - there are so many! By the way, great thread!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not to share TMI but I enjoy not getting my periods anymore. Nuff said.

Ermagerd, how could I forget this!!?? Probably because of my age LOL. I never wanted go use my equipment for reproduction and resented, loathed, cursed, that I had to endure 51 years of cramps, rock hard boobs, mood swings, and stuff gushing from betwixt my loins that could serve as the basis for a horror flick. I don't care if that's TMI. I had to endure it so if you're reading this, you have to endure it too. Do the math, for 51 years 3 weeks of every month of my life was pure hell for nothing, do you hear me, for NOTHING. Menopause = awesomeness. Free at last, free at last, thank mother nature almighty, I'm free at last.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Going grayvwas an incredibly difficult step for me, but I’m so glad I finally did it! I love love love my wonderfully short, silver hair! (And two ladies in my church, both of whom were sporting pretty harsh dark tones well into their 70’s, have followed my lead. I’m so happy for them!)

I was born and raised to be a people pleaser and I probably always will be to some extent. But I am finding my own voice, and I’m able to say “screw it” more and more frequently. That’s partly due to experience, and partly due to the sometimes accuse realization that we don’t have forever...

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Me too lol. I still don't feel like a "grown up". And ditto about learning from one's (many) mistakes. Experience makes a difference.
i don't feel like a grown up and im technically an orphan
i feel like im still 12 somedays yet ive always had an older soul
what @moneymeister said about whimsical people having an eaiser time in their 50s gives me a bit of comfort as i am not looking forward to the big 50 in two years time

but glasses
i always dreaded the day
and its bot that bad
and i can see the fine print and don't get headache trying to read on my phone

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
What a great thread!

The freedom to say no. Being a people-pleaser is exhausting so now I cheerfully say no to almost everything and don't feel a bit sorry. Do you want to go to [mediocre restaurant]? No thanks! I'm staying home tonight. Hey, can I borrow your [nice thing]? Nope! But you can buy one one at store X, they usually have great sales.

:geek2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a great thread!

The freedom to say no. Being a people-pleaser is exhausting so now I cheerfully say no to almost everything and don't feel a bit sorry. Do you want to go to [mediocre restaurant]? No thanks! I'm staying home tonight. Hey, can I borrow your [nice thing]? Nope! But you can buy one one at store X, they usually have great sales.

:geek2:

So freeing. Completely freeing to be able to say no and not feel guilty. Took me some time to stop feeling guilty and truth be told I still occasionally do but generally I am OK with saying no. No- to preserve my (what is left of my) sanity. No- to allow us to have peace and tranquility. No- to stress and demands and all that stuff.

I am an introvert (albeit an extroverted introvert) so saying no allows me to breathe and not feel overwhelmed. I get stressed around lots of people and noise for any length of time and I do best one on one or very small groups. Add in lots of people and for more than a short period of time it's just too much for me. Though for short periods of time I occasionally enjoy being at certain events. Max 2 hours and I am done.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I care less about what others think of me as I grow older.

DK :lol-2:

Yup. And never forget the very wise quote
"It's none of my business what others think of me"

Amen to that.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup. And never forget the very wise quote
"It's none of my business what others think of me"

Amen to that.

Amen, sister!
Works for me!

Just carry on pursuing whatever one feels is right!
If you end up with fewer friends ... well ... those folks were not your friends in the first place.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i don't feel like a grown up and im technically an orphan
i feel like im still 12 somedays yet ive always had an older soul
what @moneymeister said about whimsical people having an eaiser time in their 50s gives me a bit of comfort as i am not looking forward to the big 50 in two years time

but glasses
i always dreaded the day
and its bot that bad
and i can see the fine print and don't get headache trying to read on my phone

Aww I am sorry your parents are no longer here with you.

Don't dread becoming 50. It's a great age. Really a nice time of life Daisy. Embrace it and enjoy the freedom to be you. The freedom from pressure about what others think you should be. At 50 you have earned the right to be whoever you want to be. Live it up girl and enjoy. Remember you will never be as young as you are today. And also remember you are only as young as you feel. Keep feeling like that kid inside. That will keep you young!

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everyone who has hit the big 5-0 around me keeps telling me that 50 is like 30 plus that chilled Idgad - attitude several posters describe above, so they're all pretty darn pleased with the situation!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everyone who has hit the big 5-0 around me keeps telling me that 50 is like 30 plus that chilled Idgad - attitude several posters describe above, so they're all pretty darn pleased with the situation!

Haha yes I agree with that statement. 50 is the new 30. At least for me. I am 54 and do not feel a day over 34 honest to goodness. Yes I know I cannot do things I did at 34 but my brain hasn't yet caught up to my body if you kwim and you are only as young as you feel. And I still feel young. Plus it is all relative right? I mean, 50 is young compared to 70 which is young compared to 90. And one important fact to remember is you will never be as young as you are *right this very minute* so enjoy each year/each age/each stage of your life to the fullest. It's all we get.

I say, pay no attention whatsoever to your age.
Just live fully till you die.

Now it's my turn to say Amen to your above comment Kenny. Truth.

dancedallnight.gif

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

Yes! That is 100% what it feels like. It's not having to steel yourself to act non-chalant while wondering what to do . After a while, you learn "you got this, babe" no matter what life throws at you. I think you learn to be at peace with where you're at.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes! That is 100% what it feels like. It's not having to steel yourself to act non-chalant while wondering what to do . After a while, you learn "you got this, babe" no matter what life throws at you. I think you learn to be at peace with where you're at.

Yes! Exactly. If one doesn't make peace with where they are in life one will never be happy or feel peace. "One can make a heaven of hell and a hell of heaven" rings true always to me.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dreaded turning 30 AND 20. But I can honestly say I’m looking forward to my 40th in two years. Never thought I would say that. Besides some new physical things that I don’t like (waking up with a sore neck cause I slept wrong, etc.), I have never felt better.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Age is just a number.

One can be very old for one's age, or young at heart at an old age.

I know what I would prefer!

DK :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought my 40s were good, however, 50s are even better, and I still have a few more years to go before turning 60.

DK :))

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Ermagerd, how could I forget this!!?? Probably because of my age LOL. I never wanted go use my equipment for reproduction and resented, loathed, cursed, that I had to endure 51 years of cramps, rock hard boobs, mood swings, and stuff gushing from betwixt my loins that could serve as the basis for a horror flick. I don't care if that's TMI. I had to endure it so if you're reading this, you have to endure it too. Do the math, for 51 years 3 weeks of every month of my life was pure hell for nothing, do you hear me, for NOTHING. Menopause = awesomeness. Free at last, free at last, thank mother nature almighty, I'm free at last.

Yep. Nothing enjoyable about it for me. My mood swings at that time kind of made me the equivalent of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. Not to mention the inability to sleep the night before because of a racing heartbeat unless I took something to help it. The only thing good was knowing that yay, birth control worked this month.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not that I want to die, but I do find considerable consolation in being closer to the time I will no longer experience all the colossal s**tiness of today's world. :nono:

Voters of my beloved country electing 45 was the main straw that broke this camel's back.

Last edited:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not that I want to die, but I do find considerable consolation in being closer to the time I will no longer experience all the colossal s**tiness of today's world. :nono:
I can't believe I am going to say this, but I agree with you. ;-) I have felt this way for the past year.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Voters of my beloved country electing 45 was the main straw that broke this camel's back.

You are not alone in your thoughts @kenny. They always say goodness wins in the end. I’m hoping this is true. The level of hate and cruelty we have seen the past three years is appalling. My fear is things will get worse before anything begins to get better and it will take many, many years to get back to where we were stood as a country 4 years ago. It’s incredibly sad.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I now have a single priority- serenity. It's not always easy but I have learned that letting things go is better for my peace than fighting.

I have no need to be right.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
So freeing. Completely freeing to be able to say no and not feel guilty. Took me some time to stop feeling guilty and truth be told I still occasionally do but generally I am OK with saying no. No- to preserve my (what is left of my) sanity. No- to allow us to have peace and tranquility. No- to stress and demands and all that stuff.

I am an introvert (albeit an extroverted introvert) so saying no allows me to breathe and not feel overwhelmed. I get stressed around lots of people and noise for any length of time and I do best one on one or very small groups. Add in lots of people and for more than a short period of time it's just too much for me. Though for short periods of time I occasionally enjoy being at certain events. Max 2 hours and I am done.
We were sisters in another life. I feel EXACTLY the same way. I seem very outgoing..and I am to a point...I enjoy people but I need quiet or I get stressed. My idea of a good time is staying home and watching tv at night with my hubby. I like boring..

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mother died in January of 2000, lung cancer, she said she really wasn't that sad about going to die because the world was so shitty, the whole Clinton thing really got her down, if she were alive today I dunno, she wouldn't like it one bit.. dying.. as so many of my close family members have died in the last 19 years it feels sort of comforting, I don't believe I'll see them, talk to them etc, but the future looks dull to me in ways, I have a sweetheart of a granddaughter and I think the world is for her. I don't want to die soon, it's just that I don't fear it anymore.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results