shape
carat
color
clarity

Name one thing you love about being older

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a relative term of course and I deliberately kept it vague so everyone who wants to can participate. We are all older now than we were 5, 10, 20 etc years ago. Is there one thing that stands out from the rest about being the age you are now as compared to years ago?

calvinandhobbesunfair.jpg

As a corollary what is/was your favorite age so far?

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's liberating to be a silver-haired 64 yr old:

Filters gone;
Life experience and knowledge blended with wisdom gives me courage to stand firm when I know I'm correct about something and to be humble when I'm wrong;
I can play the age card when it suits me (like today when my trainer said "let's do 100 dead lifts."

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont worry about what other people will think. I’m become more resistant to criticism and negativity. I’ve made heaps of mistakes and have learnt from them. I have experience and knowledge. I can give younger people “the look” and say things like “well, when I was young” and I then laugh along with them when they roll their eyes at me!
Im nearly 60 but I’m still waiting to “grow up” ha ha.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not yet confident in myself :( but I am now of an age where I'm buying awesome tweed :D

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is an easy one for me.

The thing I love most about being older is that I am confident enough and comfortable in who I am that I don't have to please people.

When I was younger I would do things I didn't want to do so I would make people happy. Go to events because they wanted me to or have my in laws and crew stay at our beach house (and wreck it and act like it was a hotel). Nope.

Those days are long gone because I finally wised up (benefit of getting older if one pays attention to things) and life is so much better. Peaceful.

Not that I was ever the people pleaser some are but now the only one I want to please (besides myself) is my dh. Putting oneself first is hard to do but is important for one's sanity in the long run. IMO.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not yet confident in myself :( but I am now of an age where I'm buying awesome tweed :D

Haha I love a man in tweed. My dh started wearing tweed in his twenties and ooh la la. So rock that tweed at any age @OoohShiny!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is an easy one for me.

The thing I love most about being older is that I am confident enough and comfortable in who I am that I don't have to please people.

When I was younger I would do things I didn't want to do so I would make people happy. Go to events because they wanted me to or have my in laws and crew stay at our beach house (and wreck it and act like it was a hotel). Nope.

Those days are long gone because I finally wised up (benefit of getting older if one pays attention to things) and life is so much better. Peaceful.

Not that I was ever the people pleaser some are but now the only one I want to please (besides myself) is my dh. Putting oneself first is hard to do but is important for one's sanity in the long run. IMO.
I really couldn’t come up with a really good one...but I read yours and I kept nodding my head. Yes...You said it perfectly..

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont worry about what other people will think. I’m become more resistant to criticism and negativity. I’ve made heaps of mistakes and have learnt from them. I have experience and knowledge. I can give younger people “the look” and say things like “well, when I was young” and I then laugh along with them when they roll their eyes at me!
Im nearly 60 but I’m still waiting to “grow up” ha ha.

Me too lol. I still don't feel like a "grown up". And ditto about learning from one's (many) mistakes. Experience makes a difference.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really couldn’t come up with a really good one...but I read yours and I kept nodding my head. Yes...You said it perfectly..

Thanks Joanne. It wasn't easy getting there but I got there (late 30s) and it was/is sweet.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That I really don't give a damn about what someone else thinks about what I do, how I live, etc.. And that, having gone through menopause, my moods are stable, lol.

Not to share TMI but I enjoy not getting my periods anymore. Nuff said.:wink2:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not to share TMI but I enjoy not getting my periods anymore. Nuff said.:wink2:
:lol: I just laughed out loud and my husband asked me why I was laughing!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Amen to that, sister.

Is it weird that Ive always loved having my period?
(Except for my teen years when I had 3 years worth of ovarian cysts.)

I honestly just feel super womanly on it and connected to the earth.
I also use sea sponge tampons and cloth pads and since I have switched years ago I have had zero cramps.
I also notice that I just want to stay home and nest and be cozy when Im on it. Idk maybe I'm odd but I enjoy it. I consider it a time of reflection and renewal.

Also something that has come with age that I actually learned/gained only days ago was the fact that I can and should stick up for myself in my job setting. In day to day life I do, but I work in the health care field and because I'm sweet and kind coworkers sometimes take advantage of me, same with staff/teachers at my daughters school. They think because of my looks and age (I'm a younger mom and am considered attractive in the larger society/tall and thin) that they can be rude to me and get away with it because I'm "nice". I noticed other women were having preconceived notions about me and felt powerful through talking down to me because I took it and was again, "nice".

I had a eureka moment and realized that I didnt have to be nice and take innapropriate or rude comments anymore. Now I'm done with taking peoples sh**.
I also have the power and wherewithal to let it go and realize what a speck it is compared to the bigger picture.
Id rather spend my day lifting others up.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results