shape
carat
color
clarity

namanga garnet fom Kenya?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi there I am on my quest for a bright, fine red garnet and came across the namanga garnet. Can someone provide some details on it? Is it known for it bright crimson red color? or color shift properties? does it stands close to rhodolite or pyrope garnet? is it consider rare? tks!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/21/2009 8:49:19 PM
Author:chictomato
Hi there I am on my quest for a bright, fine red garnet and came across the namanga garnet. Can someone provide some details on it? Is it known for it bright crimson red color? or color shift properties? does it stands close to rhodolite or pyrope garnet? is it consider rare? tks!
I don''t think it''s rare. I''ve seen it sold on ebay for next to nothing, so my gut feeling is that it''s not that rare.

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
Don''t confuse marketing with gemology. I don''t believe the so-called namanga garnet is a distinct variety of garnet. It looks like ordinary pyrope garnet to me. But only an analysis of its chemical composition could give a definitive answer.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It''s just another place name posing as a garnet "variety," like Umbalite. Namanga is mainly almandine with some pyrope and the usual minor mix of other species. It cuts pretty rather dark-toned stones but the price should be based on the quality of the finished gem. With proper cutting it can yield very attractive reddish scintillation.

Richard M. (Rick Martin)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is not a particularly valued garnet. The name only tells you the region it is from, not its quality.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results