shape
carat
color
clarity

Nails on Wedding Day - French Manicure, Color, Bare?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Has anyone tried the stickers they are using instead of polish? A lot of the higher end salons around here are offering it now and it is rumored to be healthier for the nail. I am pretty sure I am either doing that or clear, because we are going to be in the middle of nowhere, so I am 100% certain getting a day of mani is not an option. I am hoping they work okay. I can keep polish on my toes, but my fingers are a chipped mess within hours.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
I wear pink and white acrylics. You might want to consider them. They wear very well and should solve your small nail bed issue. I can't say the same of French manicure on bare nails [maybe I'm too hard on my nails]. I sometimes put a sheer over the nails. Let me find a pic. When you are done, you can soak them off or let them grow out [or keep them!].

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a pic of my nails - pay no attention to the diamonds.
9.gif

Leviev1 65 carats.jpg

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Cammy - Given that a french manicure doesn''t compliment your fingers, I say that the "sheer romance" colors sound perfect. I love the look of a pale pink. So understated yet polished and pretty.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 12:34:57 AM
Author: DiamanteBlu
9.gif

Leviev1%2065%20carats.jpg

Your nails look beautiful but it is really hard not to pay attn to those pretties
30.gif

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
I just wanted to chip in and say that Chanel Ballerina is a beautiful color. It''s one of my all-time favorites.

I am planning to do a French manicure, but I don''t know whether to go with natural or acrylics/gels. I really like getting a pinky-iridiscent top coat over my French manicures--it makes it look a little bit different than the usual, it softens the white, and it gives my nails a very pretty "shell" look.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
9.gif
Nails? What nails? All I can see is bling
3.gif
9.gif

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
Since I wear french manicure everyday, I wanted something different for my wedding day but without being too flashy or not bridal enough. That''s why I did a sorta sideway french mani (lol, what a description!). The white lines started from the middle of the nail and continued to the opposite end. I also had them paint a thin silvery line so that the nails match my dress
3.gif
It was pretty unconventional and fun and the guests seemed to love them as they complimented them all the time. I''ll try to attach pic. Sorry, it''s awfully blurry but the only ones I have here at work. The one on the right is from the night after the wedding (don''t mind the fork
9.gif
).

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
lol, maybe if I actually attach the pic, it would be easier for you to see it

wednails.JPG

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chanel Ballerina is a classic delicate pink, I wear it a lot.

cammy85

Shiny_Rock
ok, first of all - i don''t see fingernails, I see BLING. But on second look, the nails are nice as well :)

It''s so interesting for me to see what everyone does for their wedding. I know it''s a personal thing, and I love seeing all the different options.

thank you so much for the brand - color suggestions. Can I just go into a salon that is listed as a seller and pick up the color, or do they have to order it for you? And how much do the OPI, Chanel, and Essie brands typically run here in the U.S.?

I definitely am leaning towards a sheer pink/nude color. But I''m just worried about it looking orangey or sort of discolored since I have a reddish undertone to my skin. I guess if I can''t find something I love, I can always do a subtle french manicure.

But please, continue with all your wonderful suggestions (I especially love the one about buying your own and taking it with you to have for fixing chips in your nails - would have NEVER thought of that.)

You guys rock.

cammy85

Shiny_Rock
here's a picture of the Heart Throb Pink by OPI - is it just me or does it seem 'too pink' or maybe it's just too opaque? While it's a nice color, there's just something that I don't like about it for my wedding day...

ETA - you can see the nail bed vs the nail growth on this picture, so you can get an idea of what a french manicure would look like.

0226091346a.jpg

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 1:30:47 AM
Author: Deelight

9.gif

Your nails look beautiful but it is really hard not to pay attn to those pretties
30.gif
Uhhhhmmmm, I''ve NEVER seen diamonds that big before. How did I ever miss your collection????!!!!!! WOWZA

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 9:53:51 AM
Author: Bia
Date: 2/27/2009 1:30:47 AM
Author: Deelight
9.gif

30.gif
Uhhhhmmmm, I''ve NEVER seen diamonds that big before. How did I ever miss your collection????!!!!!! WOWZA

Ahhhh . . . I wish that collection were mine
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
. . . sigh. It is a photo [65 carats - 29, 21 and 15 all D FL] of some stones I looked at while on our first upgrade trip in NYC about a year ago. [These pieces are from Leviev. I posted the experience and lots more pics on a thread that is floating around here someplace.]

Unfortunately [or fortunately depending on your perspective
9.gif
] it is the only decent photo of my nails that I could find!

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
AdiS - I love your wedding nails! Gorgeous!

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 10:17:20 AM
AdiS - I love your wedding nails! Gorgeous!
Thanks Diamante! My manicurist looked at me like I was nuts when I told her what I want for the wedding but I think it came out nice!
9.gif

And I have to say I actually noticed your beautiful nails BEFORE I noticed the diamonds so I think that says a lot! lol

cammy85

Shiny_Rock
I have to agree, they''re wonderful nails AdiS - especially with the shape of the sleeve/cuff/not-sure-what-you-call-it of your dress, it all fits together really nicely.

Not sure I could pull that off :)

Mediterranean

Brilliant_Rock
I''m another one who loves Essie "Sugar Daddy"

DiamanteBlu: What do they use as your topcoat? It is sheer enough not to have its own color, but it has kind of an opalescent sheen to it. Does your tech tell you the color?

Honey228

Shiny_Rock
I was thinking of getting an acrylic french manicure. Just so I could get it done before the wedding and still have them look nice throughout the honeymoon. I might get a red pedicure. I''ve never had acrylics before though. I almost always have my fingernails and toenails painted, but I also let them get chipped within a week.
38.gif

But if I were going to do my own, I''d probably use one of the sheer soft pinks mentioned on both.

DiamanteBlu, I remember your NYC upgrade thread. That was one of the most fun threads and it sounded like a great day!

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 5:08:26 PM
Author: Mediterranean
I''m another one who loves Essie ''Sugar Daddy''
DiamanteBlu: What do they use as your topcoat? It is sheer enough not to have its own color, but it has kind of an opalescent sheen to it. Does your tech tell you the color?

I think I had on OPI''s "What''s Dune?". It looks silvery in the bottle but is very sheer with a bit of opalescent fine sparkle to it. I also use "Kyoto Pearl". It gives a nice, sheer, pearly sheen.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 5:28:34 PM
Author: Honey228
DiamanteBlu, I remember your NYC upgrade thread. That was one of the most fun threads and it sounded like a great day!

It sure was! I am still getting calls about stones from the shops. We have not done anything yet. I think that now is the time to sit tight. I expect prices at the high end to decline further.

basil

Brilliant_Rock
The day before my wedding was my first and only manicure and pedicure ever. I can''t wear nailpolish on my hands day-to-day because of my job, and I usually DIY my toenails during the summer.

I was scared of french cause I''ve seen some look kind of bad sometimes and too fake, so I went with a pale pink. Don''t recall the brand or color..my cousin found someone to come to our house so she only brought a limited selection. I like to keep my nails short cause I have long fingers, and it looks kind of freakish if my nails are long too.

My sister-in-law and mom got a french and it actually looked good from a distance, but I don''t think I would have liked it on my own hands.

I thought there would be a lot of pictures of my hands, but surprisingly, this is the closest up I could find!

ry3D400.jpg

Honey228

Shiny_Rock
Aw basil, your dress is beautiful! It looks so romantic.
30.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m going with a french manicure as I love the way it looks.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 8:50:05 AM
Author: cammy85
ok, first of all - i don''t see fingernails, I see BLING. But on second look, the nails are nice as well :)

It''s so interesting for me to see what everyone does for their wedding. I know it''s a personal thing, and I love seeing all the different options.

thank you so much for the brand - color suggestions. Can I just go into a salon that is listed as a seller and pick up the color, or do they have to order it for you? And how much do the OPI, Chanel, and Essie brands typically run here in the U.S.?

I definitely am leaning towards a sheer pink/nude color. But I''m just worried about it looking orangey or sort of discolored since I have a reddish undertone to my skin. I guess if I can''t find something I love, I can always do a subtle french manicure.

But please, continue with all your wonderful suggestions (I especially love the one about buying your own and taking it with you to have for fixing chips in your nails - would have NEVER thought of that.)

You guys rock.
Some wonderful PSer brought my attention to this US site. I have my OPI colours, and a whole lotta other great stuff shipped here to Oz from them and the prices are AMAZING compared to here!!! Warning, you will spend a ton and have gorgoues nails!!!!

http://www.head2toebeauty.com/nail_polishes/npo_opi1.htm

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 4:54:33 PM
Author: cammy85
I have to agree, they''re wonderful nails AdiS - especially with the shape of the sleeve/cuff/not-sure-what-you-call-it of your dress, it all fits together really nicely.

Not sure I could pull that off :)
Thank you cammy! You have lovely hands, I think all kinds of mani will look great on you including french manicure if that''s what you want! I don''t think the size of the nail bed would be a problem at all, but if it bothers you I''d suggest you try the acrylics and see if it works for you.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
9.gif
ROFL!!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
ditto, that dress is stunning and you in it :).

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ll probably do either a pale pink like my dress or silver. Not sure yet!

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
I fourth Essie Sugar Daddy!

I love it so much that I carry a bottle of it in my purse "in case" I have time to get a mani. A local manicurist had never seen the shade and loved it so much she wrote down the name to order it for her stock.

I bought my own bottle (off the internet) for the wedding and was able to bring it on the honeymoon. Remember that if you plan to travel to an area with sand/sea, your nails will take a beating! French manis begin to chip and show wear on me in just a day or two. Knowing that my nails would be done before my rehearsal I couldn''t ensure a french would still look good on my wedding day - and I could ensure my nails wold be trashed before our honeymoon! I find that chips from a pale pink color are less obvious than chips from a french.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results