shape
carat
color
clarity

Mystic Topaz

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
I just received a 3 stone mystic topaz ring. I had never really heard of it until lately. Does anyone know much about Mystic Topaz???

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
It''s topaz that is treated in some way, right?? You can''t see the color from the side....I recently bought a small slide. just for fun!!! I think it is very pretty, too!

Anyone know jow to clean it?
33.gif

tanuki

Shiny_Rock
I googled Mystic Topaz and on one site I saw that due to the special coating that gives it its iridescence it should be cleaned in the same way you would clean pearls or opals. Which means no harsh cleaners.

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
That''s what I thought....that nice color could come right off!!! It''s just a fun thing....I needed a little treat one day!!! But I do think it is very pretty....thanks!

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
I have one, I posted a pic on your other thread. I did ask the jeweler last time I was in how to clean them, and she said no chemical cleaners or ultrasonic cleaners because they can fade or remove the color and you could end up with a white topaz! She said that also goes for many of the pretty blue topaz stones, such as the carribean blue, london blue, and sky blue. I never knew that!!!!!

I asked what to clean the stones with, and she suggested plain old soapy water, like a mild dish washing soap or baby shampoo.

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
I saw your ring...I love it!!! A coworker received a ring for Christmas, and then i bought a pendant just for fun!!! It goes w/lots of things!!!!!!!

loupe

Rough_Rock
Mystic Topaz is a coated stone but all those beautiful blues are not. Most blues get their color from a combination of irradiation and heat treatment of white topaz. There is natural blue topaz but it is fairly rare. For a time there was natural blue material coming out of Llano County Texas. The other coated topaz you need to be wary of is the inexpensive pink topaz.

Personally, as cheap as blue topaz is, I don''t know why anyone would coat a stone to achieve the same results with less durability. The treatment(s) that white topaz goes through to achieve these beautiful is permanent, it does not fade.

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/18/2005 2:51:32 PM
Author: loupe
Mystic Topaz is a coated stone but all those beautiful blues are not. Most blues get their color from a combination of irradiation and heat treatment of white topaz. There is natural blue topaz but it is fairly rare. For a time there was natural blue material coming out of Llano County Texas. The other coated topaz you need to be wary of is the inexpensive pink topaz.

Personally, as cheap as blue topaz is, I don''t know why anyone would coat a stone to achieve the same results with less durability. The treatment(s) that white topaz goes through to achieve these beautiful is permanent, it does not fade.
Whew! I''m glad to know about the blues. I have few really nice peices, a couple of rings, a pendant, and some earrings. I''ve had them all for quite a while, and I know that I''ve cleaned them all at some point, probably several times. They still look vividly blue, with the exception of one ring that my mother bought years ago at a discount store. That one looks pretty pale now. It might have been one that had been coated. I know she didn''t pay much for it. The other pieces were a little more expensive, were done in 114K gold and also had diamonds in the settings. They were apparently the irradiated or heat treated stones.

Is it still ok to clean the irradiated or heat treated topaz in cleaner? I have an ultrasonic cleaner for my diamonds, and pretty much just use mild soap for the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results