shape
carat
color
clarity

Mystery Ring / Mystery Stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Loriann

Rough_Rock
Hello again everyone. I have a bit of a mystery. I recently aquired a beautiful ring. It is a real mystery because I have no idea what the stones are. This ring has alot of fire! All three stones do, but the center stone I can''t figure out. I''m pretty sure it is natural because when I loop it, there are minor inclusions, almost like a tiny black- hair like inclusion as well as a cloud like inclusion. I have compaired it to a sapphire simulant and it is certainly not as perfect, but the color is close.It is a pastel pink with a violet undertone, or peach depending on the lighting. It flashes orange, blue, white etc.in the sun or florecent lighting as well as the 2 clear stones which I am thinking are zircon.These pics are not the best, but hoping that it might click with someone. I have never come accross a colored gemstone with so much fire, but I also am pretty new to this hobby. This first pic is with a flash. Much appreciation!

ringflash1.jpg

Loriann

Rough_Rock
This next photo is without a flash. You can see the violet in the stone. Thanks!

ringnoflash1.jpg

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
Myguess is that it might be a pink sapphire or maybe a Kunzite. Thats the best I can do by looking at the picture.

Loriann

Rough_Rock
That would be real nice! I wish I could get a better pic that shows its brilliance.

Loriann

Rough_Rock
Another view..sorry it''s not so clear

ringpic243.jpg

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm, there''s something about this ring that''s ringing a bell. But I can''t quite drag it to the front of my mind. It''s irratating when something seems so familiar but you can''t remember... grr.

Anyway, what makes you think the clear stones are Zircon? And couldn''t the middle stone also be Zircon? I''m pretty sure it also comes in pink. Since you''re saying that it''s very firey for a colored stone Zircon is probably your best bet if it''s a non-synthetic gem.

When you say that the pink stone looks different in different light, are you sure that it''s different light that causes the change not the direction of how you''re looking at the stone? Kunzite''s color changes when you change the direction of how you view the stone. However I don''t think of Kunzite as being really firey, but it''s not like I''ve seen tons of it.

Sapphire''s a bit more firey than Kunzite, but it''s not really the first thing I think of when I look at a pink sapphire.

What''s the metal of the ring?

Loriann

Rough_Rock
I guess it could be zircon. I am not too familiar with it. I assumed it because of the amount of flash. The colors of the center stone are pink/violet and a touch of peach in the sunlight, or under a flourecent lamp. In a natural light setting it looks more peachy-pink. I have never seen a kunzite in person either, but I don''t think they are as brilliant. Thanks for your input!!! It is helpful!

Loriann

Rough_Rock
Well, the metal I believe is gold. I have several s/s rings and I work with metal clay. It has a different luster to it that s/s and has not tried to tarnish. The weird thing is that is is not marked in any way. The whole thing is weird including how I received it. Anyway, I guess I should take it in to be looked at, but wanted to try the experts on this blog.

colorchange

Shiny_Rock
Trade
If the color is very accurate, it may be (untreated or traditionnal treatment) spinel, sapphire, kunzite, topaz, and amethyst (never seen a zircon of that color).
If the color is changing toward orange in some lights, it should be a sapphire, but that''s just a guess.

Would I be you, I''d first test hardness, that must be quite easy to you.

Of course there are a million of other ways to get such a stone with synthetic or treated.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the center stone looks like a pink sapphire also. Are you going to get it appraised??

Loriann

Rough_Rock
Colorchange, thanks for the hints on what it could be. If it''s not zircon then I''m really stumped. I don''t have the equiptment to check hardness unfortunately.

Loriann

Rough_Rock
I would freak if it was! I will definately get it looked at. I don''t want them to take the stones out though.

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t know what it is, but just wanted to say how pretty it is! What a great find!

Loriann

Rough_Rock
Thanks Portoar! You have NO IDEA what a find it literally is!!
1.gif

colorchange

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/2/2006 1:12:24 PM
Author: Loriann
Colorchange, thanks for the hints on what it could be. If it''s not zircon then I''m really stumped. I don''t have the equiptment to check hardness unfortunately.

Synthetic is always possible, but in natural that was my list. If there are inclusions it''s not probable the stone be synthetic but it''s possible.
Both spinel and sapphire often tend toward orange in natural light, topaz rarely.
I didn''t include tourmaline because I haven''t seen this exact color already, usually it''s luch more plain and saturated pink, but it may be.

Would I were you I would simply look for a jeweller with a refractive index tester he may give you for free a clue of what it is.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
any idea how old it is?

Iv seen that exact ring around in CZ on one of the cz ring websites.

Loriann

Rough_Rock
I have no idea...can you share the website you have seen this ring? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results