shape
carat
color
clarity

My WhiteFlash/D. Atlas Experience

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chrispassmore

Rough_Rock
As someone who was pessimistic about purchasing a diamond on the internet, I felt obliged to share my positive experience.

Randomly one day I came across this website and thank god I did. Up until then it seemed as if online diamond shopping was fairly sketchy save a few vendors such as Blue Nile. But, after a month or so of monitoring prices and reading reviews I finally decided that I would easily save some serious cash using the net.

To make a long story short, I found a beautiful 1.61 carat round diamond (H color, VS2) that was well cut. And luckily, WhiteFlash had this diamond for an amazing price. This worked out well as I had wanted to purchase from WhiteFlash based on their customer service policies. Anyway, I contacted Lesley and she was able to get me setup in a custom platinum solitaire (4 prong). I had the e-ring shipped to Chris at D. Atlas and it appraised 82% higher than the purchase price. From what I understand, thats not half bad.

Overall my experience was extremely positive and I would recommend either WhiteFlash or D. Atlas to all of my friends. Funny thing is I thought the hard part was over, but I''m heading to my girlfriends parents house this weekend to ask permission. Picking out the ring was piece of cake compared to whats coming.
eek.gif

Boulder

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the info! I just spoke with Chris over at Dave Atlas's AGA this morning about doing an appraisal for me next week.
1.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Funny thing is that we are so afraid of people we do not know.

Dave is a lovely guy who has a very practical approach to life. Lesley and many other dealers that I have also met in person are genuine and do the best they can.

One thing about this website - anyone who is a shark never posts or participates for fear of the stories that would be posted here about them.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Whenver we see someone about to comment on our services I take a deep breath and hope it will be for the best. All vendors and appraisers who participate in open forums ned to put service at the top of their prioirty list. Someone could easily hurt us by telling the world we were bad guys and that they regretted using us. We make every effort to satisfy people and succeed a great majority of the time.

We want to help people in buying a diamond or a piece of jewelry. Providing a service for a fee, while important, is secondary to the goal of assisting consumers and the jewelry business.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Regarding the ring appraising at 82% higher than purchase price, I thought appraisals should come out at about the amount the customer paid for the ring? Is this because internet dealers have lower profit margins and when appraisers state the ring should cost about the same as the appraisal they are talking about B&M jewellery shops?

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Yes. Internet pricing is not the "norm", and appraisals are usually done at an "average" retail replacement value.

Since the majority of diamonds are purchased through "bricks and mortar" jewelers, that is the pricing level used by most appraisers, unless asked by the client to price it at other than the "average".

chrispassmore

Rough_Rock
I was extremely excited to see that the appraisal was significantly over what I paid as it reassured me that I had received a good deal. Only bad thing about it is that I am trying to get the e-ring insured and its looking like it will cost a significant amount more than I expected. But thats another topic all together.

Heyjud

Shiny_Rock
With websites like Pricescope
It helps us to know
That buying on-line is a great way to go!

Thanks for sharing and you'll will see
The very best
Is yet to be!
wavey.gif

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for clarifying that Richard Sherwood.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Congrats & thanks for sharing. Of course, we want pics!

chrispassmore

Rough_Rock
Pics are coming soon. I'm having them developed today.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chris I would suggest having your ring insured for what you paid for it or slightly higher. Not all insurance co's will do this, but it will save you large amounts of $$ in insurance and personally I feel that it doesn't matter what the ring appraises for as long as it's NOT LESS than what you paid. As long as it appraises for at least what you paid, you got a good deal, AND that is what the ring is *really worth* should you go out and buy the same thing again. We got our ring insured for what we paid, because we could replace it for the same price. It doesn't make sense to insure it for thousands over what you paid and the costs are much more expensive.

My two cents anyway. It feels good to have it appraise at more than you paid, esp much more than what you paid...but for insurance purposes, don't waste the extra $$ just because that is the inflated retail price. It's worth what you paid for it.

1.gif
Congrats, the ring sounds lovely, can't wait to see PIX!
1.gif

Boulder

Shiny_Rock
That sounds like very good advice, Mara. I'm approaching that issue in the next few weeks, so I'll keep that in mind.
1.gif

chrispassmore

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice Mara. Luckily I was able to find a Chubb agent in Mountain View who would insure the e-ring for the purchase price rather than the appraised value (only $200/year premium). They stated that their policy is to try and replace the ring, but if they are unable they would issue a check. So, worst case scenario, I get a check for the purchase price.

Oh yeah - in case anyone cares the discussion with my girlfriends father went fairly well. So, its a big green light for the actual proposal.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chris sounds like you and I may be neighbors
1.gif
If you are in CA that is.

Anyhow--interesting they told you their policy is to try to replace the ring...as I was told Chubb's general policy is that they cut a check rather than try to replace the ring if that is your choice. Most companies will try to replace the ring first (regardless of what you really want them to do)and then barring that working, they give you a check. Chubb just gives you a check. That's part of the reason we used them--and paid a little more than what State Farm was quoting. I don't want the hassle of replacing the ring and chances are if anything actually happened to it, I'd want something different (and bigger!!), so I wouldn't want them to replace the ring the way it was anyway. So that's why we went with Chubb.

Then again I went through Chubb directly and non-direct agents don't always have their data down..so who knows. But I would rest easy with Chubb...so far so good!
1.gif

chrispassmore

Rough_Rock
Mara - Just curious where your located? I just moved to Mountain View from SF. Plus, thanks for the info on insurance as it is nice to hear about people who have had positive experiences with Chubb.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results