color
clarity

My WF 4.7ct ACA in Victor Canera Emilya Cathedral Setting

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My VC Emilya with my new Chanel purse! :love: IMG_0615.jpg
M2B
Congrats on your new Chanel !:love:.. A couple months ago I held the exact purse in my hand while I was in Las Vegas.

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am in the process of catching up on threads I have missed over the last several months, and I just had to chime in to say that your Emilya is out of this world, m-2-b!! I love your ACA in Victor's setting... just perfection!! :love::love::love:

I also have a random question about the H and K stones you mentioned earlier. When you saw the H and K stones in person, did anything stand out about the faceting in one stone versus the other? You mentioned that the faceting was mesmerizing in the K stone, but do you recall if the faceting appeared as crisp in the H stone? My apologies for all of the questions; I am deliberating about color choice in an antique stone and some have mentioned that warmer colors bring out the faceting more prominently. I would normally gravitate toward F/G/H colors, but if there is an argument to be made for staying closer to J/K/L colors in this style of cut I would love to know. Many thanks in advance!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am in the process of catching up on threads I have missed over the last several months, and I just had to chime in to say that your Emilya is out of this world, m-2-b!! I love your ACA in Victor's setting... just perfection!! :love::love::love:

I also have a random question about the H and K stones you mentioned earlier. When you saw the H and K stones in person, did anything stand out about the faceting in one stone versus the other? You mentioned that the faceting was mesmerizing in the K stone, but do you recall if the faceting appeared as crisp in the H stone? My apologies for all of the questions; I am deliberating about color choice in an antique stone and some have mentioned that warmer colors bring out the faceting more prominently. I would normally gravitate toward F/G/H colors, but if there is an argument to be made for staying closer to J/K/L colors in this style of cut I would love to know. Many thanks in advance!

May I just give you a general answer? There is absolutely not an advantage in lower color stones bringing out the faceting more prominently. All well cut OECs/AVRs/CECs will reflect light and colors and you'll see the beautiful faceting. My AVR is I color, and I would not want a lower color in this (round) cut (although a high J might be fine) for my engagement ring. I am open to low colors in the antique cushions because I think they do better with champagne or light yellow especially if one wants to halo in white and accentuate the color. I do also have a low color AVR that is light yellow. But I like my I color one best for my engagement ring and it certainly shows the facet pattern well (you have to have good lighting to see facet patterns in any stone, of course). See my avatar pic!

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
May I just give you a general answer? There is absolutely not an advantage in lower color stones bringing out the faceting more prominently. All well cut OECs/AVRs/CECs will reflect light and colors and you'll see the beautiful faceting. My AVR is I color, and I would not want a lower color in this (round) cut (although a high J might be fine) for my engagement ring. I am open to low colors in the antique cushions because I think they do better with champagne or light yellow especially if one wants to halo in white and accentuate the color. I do also have a low color AVR that is light yellow. But I like my I color one best for my engagement ring and it certainly shows the facet pattern well (you have to have good lighting to see facet patterns in any stone, of course). See my avatar pic!
Thank you so much, DS... this is so helpful and you are always a fountain of wisdom! You confirmed what I was thinking, and I prefer higher colors when possible. That said, I can see why lower colors can be very aesthetically pleasing in antique cuts, so I just wanted to be sure that I wasn't just trying to rationalize a higher color because that is more my comfort zone. And your AVR is absolutely gorgeous, by the way! :love: Many thanks again for being the voice of reason that I needed! :D

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@carbonfan Oh, I am so glad that was helpful! I don't think I'd be willing to pay for D-F VS in modern or antique, but I really do think G-H-I is my favored range for most diamonds, balancing price and color! I really prefer G-H for myself in modern rounds, but I have adjusted to the I color of my AVR since I really love the cut of the stone. At the time I got it, it was the highest color Jon had over two carats with VS clarity. In fact, except for the fact he has an H right now, before that, I color may have been the highest ever for an AVR with VS or higher clarity over 2 cts. He says he plans to get more in the near future, though!

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I really appreciate these insights, DS; thank you so much! My perspective on color has evolved greatly over the years... 15 years ago I started with an I SI2 MRB that was anything but ideal cut, and for some odd reason I think I attributed its lack of vibrance to the color when it really and truly was a function of the cut. When I upgraded a few years ago I went to a superideal D, which of course was beautiful, but I really felt that it was overkill. I have since moved to an F which is every bit as gorgeous, but I think I would consider going down to G/H at this point in MRBs, but even moreso in modern antique cuts in which perceptions of color are mitigated (and I am dangerously close to catching the European cut bug!! :love:). I digress, but suffice it to say that your post was exactly the confirmation (not to mention the infusion of sanity! :lol:) that I needed to help make sense of everything. Thank you again so much!!

Also, do you know if there is a way to PM people on PS? Sometimes I have a question for a specific person but I have not found a way to send a message in the absence of a post. If there is a way to do this that would be wonderful (and more importantly, it would keep me from hijacking a thread or two just to ask a follow-up question!). Many thanks again!! :D

Last edited:

thorstedswife

Shiny_Rock
That is some massive bling ! It turned out amazing :geek2: . Looks great on your hand ! Love all the photos !!!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is such a beautiful ring! And the pics are fabulous. I love looking at it.

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi-

I don't know if you will see this on such an old thread- but I was wondering if you did in fact notice a big difference in your ring spinning less with the cathedral shoulders compared to your other halo
setting?

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi-

I don't know if you will see this on such an old thread- but I was wondering if you did in fact notice a big difference in your ring spinning less with the cathedral shoulders compared to your other halo
setting?

Hi--sorry for the late response! Yes, the cathedral shoulders on my setting makes a huge difference in terms of less spinning on my finger.

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi--sorry for the late response! Yes, the cathedral shoulders on my setting makes a huge difference in terms of less spinning on my finger.

Thank you do much for response. i am considering putting halo around my old euro to help protect the girdle a tad. i was worried the shoulders would look very straight, if this makes sense, since they have to go up fairly high to meet the halo on a large diameter round stone. from side profile looking down your finger do you feel it all blends together - or wish the shoulders were more curved/swoopy? Wondering how it looks IRL vs. blown up pics.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results