shape
carat
color
clarity

MY VISIT TO A DIAMOND DEALER

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

whitediamonds

Rough_Rock
I went to a diamond dealer/jewelry store about 2 months ago, this is what happened:

I asked to see, what else, White Diamonds... I told him I only want d, e, or f, since I hate my h-i diamond - it has a ton of flouresence in it, so it makes it look white in some light, but not white enough for me; i love the icy white/clear look.

He tested me. He took out a few diamonds and said what do u think. He placed 2 for me to look at against each other.
I said, oh that one looks like an "f" this one looks like
an "f" too. He said, Nope! I said, "What is it, a D?"
He said, nope! This one is an M and this one is an f.

Can u believe it? An M!!! I couldn''t believe it because I thought it looked pretty white. I didn''t get a chance to take it into daylight to see true color, though.

What do you all think of this? Also, what is your advice for looking at diamonds? Do I have to make sure each prospective diamond has a lightscope thing and brilliancescope? Is it totally necessary ??? Help!
rolleyes.gif

I just want a sparkly Super White Diamond! 1.40 min.
budget $12k tops.including setting; what could I get for $9,000 vs $12,000?

Sorry so many questions...
wavey.gif

p5r799

Rough_Rock
Everybody in this forum seems to think that I'm going over board with the color vs. clarity thing. But I stand firm on my belief based on my research and experience that I agree with you. I wouldn't settle for anything less than 'F' in color. If you want to save money in anything, comprimise your clarity but don't go below SI1. Cut is also very important. There are several excellent website with GIA and AGS tables that shows you what bracket it ideal... etc.
Looking the the girdle, crown, depth, table etc is very important. I think you can do very well with the budget you have. I saw a D color 1.25 carat diamond with SI1 clarity and ideal cut and the best of best for $7200. Think what you can get with your budget. I recommend Diamond Direct in Charlotte, NC. The funny thing is I can sort of relate to your story. I visited so many retail stores it's not even funny. But I could always pick out the D or E diamonds amongst a group of diamonds. Also, I learned that you can tell the difference between two diamonds by placing them on a piece of white paper. Good luck!

mdx

Brilliant_Rock
White Diamonds
A diamond will usually reflect the color of the light source, so if you want to compare the color you will get a much better comparison by turning the diamonds upside down and viewing from the pavilion side. Try placing them crown down on the back of a white business card. Bend a V in the card so you can block out any direct light falling on the diamond. This will easily show the real difference (good for buying) but obviously not the mounted look.

Johan
Melbourne Diamond Exchange Ltd

highendgems

Rough_Rock
nah, you are giving bad info...you can tell the difference on white paper only when they are loose and rested upside down on their tables. sorry to piss on your parade, but if the diamond is cut well, the untrained eye will not see the difference in an F from an I when set. remember--i said ideal cut.

that M story is a bit far out, but recently we received an H color ideal Verragio and it faced up noticably better than a very good cut D.

best value is in the I-H ideal cuts w/ clarity VS2 and above. they will face up like F stones once set as long as no or almost no fluorescence. hope this helps.

highendgems

Rough_Rock
to be clear, meant p5r799 giving bad info--not johan.

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
Hello Highendgems...

I'm a bit confused by your story of a ideal Verragio. As far as I know, Verragio only makes settings, and in the beginning of your post, you made mention of the fact that you are talking about the ways of testing *unset* stones.

Did I miss something here?

win

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, Whitediamonds, low colors are fun. Too bad not too many people would even bother look. I don't have much of an idea why this is so, but that yellow tint gives diamond much more color variation in different lighting than the high whites have. A bit of fluorescence throughs things overboard completely from light yellow to nearly colorless and back. Too bad for whoever has an interest in light yellows...

I guess that your jeweler must be quite fun to work with. If he has time and taste for chatting, chances are you will get good treatment and good diamonds. This is how I got pegged to my jeweler, and never looked back
1.gif

Did you get a simmilar demonstration for clarity?

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
If you want a stone that will never show any trace of colour to your eyes from any angle whatsover, stick with D-E-F. A well cut I colour RB should indeed face up very white, especially when mounted, but it may appear slightly tinted from the sides. It does depend on the perception of the viewer, however I find colour in an I stone very easy to spot up close, even when set.

A girlfriend of mine has an M set in yellow gold (she inherited it from her mother and loves warmer stones) and it looks distinctly yellow to my eyes. I wouldn't mistake it for anything below a J.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 1/9/2004 4:34:33 PM winyan wrote:

Hello Highendgems...

I'm a bit confused by your story of a ideal Verragio. As far as I know, Verragio only makes settings, and in the beginning of your post, you made mention of the fact that you are talking about the ways of testing *unset* stones.

Did I miss something here?

win
----------------

Yes, Win...you did miss something. Highend doesn't know the FIRST thing about diamonds....and yet he continues to post factually wrong information.

He actually told someone that fluorescence would HURT an H diamond.....

Read a few of his posts, and you'll know exactly what the score is.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
hmmm cant tell the difference in real life between a f and a m but demands pictures, that wont prove a thing as has been pointed out dozen of times, on the net......

interesting.....

Did the roof cave in when you walked in?
Or are you just allergic to em?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
AL did I actually catch you posting to THIS thread! Get on over here so I can wallop yer behind!!!

Damn I'm posting too aren't I?
cry.gif
Noooo say it ain't so.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
YES and NO.

I didn't post a reply to the question asked, nor to the poser of the question.

I posted a disclaimer relating to ANOTHER poster. I have promised to counter every erroneous post *that* guy makes until he can master the *basics* enough to stop inserting his foot every time he opens his mouth.

Not the same thing. I didn't pick ANY of the poll choices!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 1/9/2004 6:48:50 PM Mara wrote:

AL did I actually catch you posting to THIS thread! Get on over here so I can wallop yer behind!!!

cry.gif
Noooo say it ain't so.

----------------

rofl!
I keep tellin myself not to even read em but ya know its like turning over rocks the next one might have gold under it instead of worms.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 1/9/2004 6:51:42 PM aljdewey wrote:

Not the same thing. I didn't pick ANY of the poll choices!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

----------------

But this is the best poll EVER!

Strm, I can appreciate the glass-is-half-full sentiment but I can almost assure you that gold in these posts will prove as elusive as the perfect stone...

2.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 1/9/2004 6:52:37 PM strmrdr wrote:
I keep tellin myself not to even read em but ya know its like turning over rocks the next one might have gold under it instead of worms.

----------------

Ah.....which inevitably turns out to be *fools' gold!*.........which everyone KNOWS is NOT white!

(and besides, who's looking for rocks? Was rocks even an answer to the POLL??!!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are you tellin me that the white fools gold mine I bought shares in is worthless???
NOOOOOOOO!!!
Im out $1.50
tell me it isnt sssooooooooooooooOOOOO!

sxn675

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 1/9/2004 6:52:37 PM strmrdr wrote:

----------------

cry.gif
Noooo say it ain't so.

----------------

rofl!
----------------

It's like a car accident or reality TV. You don't want to look and you really can't believe that you are doing it, but you find yourself transfixed!
2.gif

Hughey J

Rough_Rock
Hello Jack, or rather... HI!
2.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------

"AL did I actually catch you posting to THIS thread! Get on over here so I can wallop yer behind!!!"

~*perk!*~

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
We need a new poll to determine exactly how many people can not just step away from the thread.

Oh my, I guess I just answered Yes. Or was it no. Or was it yes/no because I am who I am. This is the best poll ever!

whitediamonds

Rough_Rock
Hi Guys! Thank you to all who told me your wonderful advice - about the def color, etc! I really apprciate it!

THe jeweler was so nice and (even though he was closing) took teh time to show me all those diamonds. He wanted to show me that I shouldn't get "stuck" with the idea that I have to have a de or f
diamond, that an "m" as far off as it may be, can still look "white" ... but I definitely want white from every angle, you know? so i guess i should stick w/ an f, as the highest right?

How "less white" is G (with no flouresn) compared to an F?

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Round brilliant diamonds in the D/E/F colour band appeared identical to my eyes. I only began noticing a difference (umounted and in the face-down position, on a white card) at H. Face-up, I noticed it at I.

If you want a super-white RB diamond that will show no colour from any angle, stay at F or better. My engagement ring diamond is a "high" F, and shows zero colour whatsover.

I should add that round brilliant diamonds in the H+ range don't appear yellow to my eyes. They appear white, they just don't appear to be bled of colour - the best way I can describe diamonds in the D/E/F range.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results