shape
carat
color
clarity

My Vintage Shooting Star Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock
Since I''m not talking about my e-ring until things are cleared up with my boyfriend!!! (LOOOOOONG story - I promise I''ll do an update when it gets figured out) - I thought I would finally post those photos of the vintage "promise" ring that he gave me last summer (my sister was getting married and I was DREADING being at the wedding and hearing all the "so when are YOU two finally getting married?" questions! So we call it the "shut up and stop bugging me" ring! LOL).

The centre stone is .24 cts, G-H, SI1. There are 18 single cuts. I just fell in love with it when I saw it - it''s from vintage jewellery store in Colorado. It has special meaning because the night my boyfriend and I met we saw a shooting star...... awwww......

I don''t know anything about it. Does anyone know what vintage it might be? I would guess ''50''s but I really have no idea.

- Jodie -

JODIEstarsmaller.JPG

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock

JODIEstar2smaller.JPG

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock
.....last one! It sparkles like crazy - for some reason, a lot of people assume it was really expensive (non-diamond people!) I've had questions like "is it REAL?" Um, yeah, it's only a 24 point centre stone dude, nothing to get all worked up about! (we paid less than $500 for it)......

JODIEstar3smaller.JPG

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
I can''t offer any info, but I LOVE IT!

Lori

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it, very pretty and unique!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Very cool and unique ring
1.gif

tlh

Ideal_Rock
I love that is is a shooting star... because they are going someplace marvelous! Just like your relationship. What a perfect choice for a promise ring. I am sure things will clear up soon.

Hugs and thank you for sharing the photos, I really enjoyed them! Beautiful!

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone - I''ve always been drawn to very sculptural, 3D pieces (plus it now covers my awful "ivy" ring tattoo on my right hand perfectly!).

I''m thinking when I get my e-ring, I''m going to do a thread with photos of ALL the rings that I had pined over. I think it would be interesting to see since they are all so different (mostly vintage pieces).

- Jodie -

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
Very cool ring!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love it!!!

Hopefully jewelryguy will see this as he is good at dating pieces, my thoughts are that it could be from the art deco period, that type of design was popular then, so my guess is twenties or thirties - could be wrong though!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
That is a really cool ring!
36.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2009 7:28:22 PM
Author: loriken214
I can''t offer any info, but I LOVE IT!

Lori

ditto, it is beautiful, love it ;D

SparklyLibra

Brilliant_Rock
Very pretty! I''d love to see it on your finger!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Lovely!! Wear it in health!

cheers--Sharon

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cool! It looks very sparkly.
36.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is sooo Lovely!! Congrats!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
So pretty! I love it.

Burk

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Mausketeer, I love this! I''ve actually been researching star rings kind of obsessively for the past few days - synchronicity! My first thought on seeing it was that it might be an Eastern Star ring, maybe, but I''m only basing that on the little cut-out on the side of the shank - does it look like it might be a little gavel, or are my eyes playing tricks on me? In every other way, I think you''re dead on - it looks v. 1950s to me with the white gold, curved lines, and decorative simplicity (i.e., curves, and no milgrain - immediate descendant of Art Deco, which always seems more geometrical and also more detailed in the details), and the 1950s would be just the right period for a fascination with astronomy .... What a perfect ring for a promise ring!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a fantastic piece!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Cool ring! Very pretty too!

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/10/2009 12:51:51 PM
Author: Circe
Mausketeer, I love this! I've actually been researching star rings kind of obsessively for the past few days - synchronicity! My first thought on seeing it was that it might be an Eastern Star ring, maybe, but I'm only basing that on the little cut-out on the side of the shank - does it look like it might be a little gavel, or are my eyes playing tricks on me? In every other way, I think you're dead on - it looks v. 1950s to me with the white gold, curved lines, and decorative simplicity (i.e., curves, and no milgrain - immediate descendant of Art Deco, which always seems more geometrical and also more detailed in the details), and the 1950s would be just the right period for a fascination with astronomy .... What a perfect ring for a promise ring!
Thanks Circe (and everyone who chimed in). I had wondered if it was an "actual" Eastern Star ring but I've never seen one that had the tail folded up underneath it like this one (and I don't really know what Eastern star rings are all about. LOVE to know more - please educate me!).

I'm not sure what a gavel is (other than a judge's gavel) - lol - so I can't say. I forgot to mention that it is stamped as 14k but it tested to be 12k. Maybe that gives someone more of a clue as to what time period it might be from (I am always amazed at what the experts can come up with based on such little information on here!)

- Jodie -

(I'll take hand pics of this one too when I get the e-ring. Maybe sooner, the boyfriend has the camera with him right now and he's back east)

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
That is a really COOL ring!!! I love stars and this is right up my alley!
Thanks for sharing
30.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, what an awesome design! It''s gorgeous!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/10/2009 5:08:15 PM
Author: mausketeer
Date: 2/10/2009 12:51:51 PM

Mausketeer, I love this! I''ve actually been researching star rings kind of obsessively for the past few days - synchronicity! My first thought on seeing it was that it might be an Eastern Star ring, maybe, but I''m only basing that on the little cut-out on the side of the shank - does it look like it might be a little gavel, or are my eyes playing tricks on me? In every other way, I think you''re dead on - it looks v. 1950s to me with the white gold, curved lines, and decorative simplicity (i.e., curves, and no milgrain - immediate descendant of Art Deco, which always seems more geometrical and also more detailed in the details), and the 1950s would be just the right period for a fascination with astronomy .... What a perfect ring for a promise ring!
Thanks Circe (and everyone who chimed in). I had wondered if it was an ''actual'' Eastern Star ring but I''ve never seen one that had the tail folded up underneath it like this one (and I don''t really know what Eastern star rings are all about. LOVE to know more - please educate me!).

I''m not sure what a gavel is (other than a judge''s gavel) - lol - so I can''t say. I forgot to mention that it is stamped as 14k but it tested to be 12k. Maybe that gives someone more of a clue as to what time period it might be from (I am always amazed at what the experts can come up with based on such little information on here!)

- Jodie -

(I''ll take hand pics of this one too when I get the e-ring. Maybe sooner, the boyfriend has the camera with him right now and he''s back east)

I''m still learning about them myself! I''d been searching for a little something for an upcoming b-day, stumbled across a ring that was described as OES (Order of the Eastern Star), and I was hooked! Hopefully, the one I found will be here within the week ....

As far as I''ve been able to discover: the Order of the Eastern Star was founded by a gentleman named Rob Morris in the 19th c. - he was a Freemason, and he felt that women ought to have a foundation of their own to share the joy. It being the 19th c., he didn''t quite achieve his vision ... but it was the closest thing to it at the time (and the OES is apparently *still* the largest fraternal organization in the world that''s open to both genders). A lot of the material available on the internet bashes the organization for its pagan roots - apparently, the five patron figures were originally classical goddesses, before being changed to Biblical figures), but, frankly, for me that''s a primary motivation and a plus!

When you associate gavels with judge''s gavels, you''re dead on - that''s one of their additional symbols, and that little cutout looked like it could be suggestive of one to me, though it could just be my eyes playing tricks on me. Maybe it might be worth reposting to Jewelry to get the advise of some of the experts who don''t normally lurk in SMTR? I know I''m planning to start a thread there once my new find arrives ....

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
P.S. - Look familiar? The "family resemblance" is what made me think of the OES, though, like I said, there are definitely other possibilities!

Miss Fortune

Brilliant_Rock
really pretty and unique!

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/11/2009 5:43:48 PM
P.S. - Look familiar? The ''family resemblance'' is what made me think of the OES, though, like I said, there are definitely other possibilities!
Oh how neat! I''ve seen that ring!!! Did you buy it? (LOVE Ruby Lane - bought a few things from there.....)

I think that part on the side of my ring is just the design (the part that looks like the head of the gavel is just where the top of it juts in a bit so...... don''t think it''s intentional)

Have you seen THIS ring on GoAntiques?
http://www.goantiques.com/search/item_detail.jsp?id=1400177

I don''t think it''s an Eastern Star ring but it is SO unique, isn''t it?

- Jodie -

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/11/2009 11:03:35 PM
Author: mausketeer
Date: 2/11/2009 5:43:48 PM

P.S. - Look familiar? The ''family resemblance'' is what made me think of the OES, though, like I said, there are definitely other possibilities!

Oh how neat! I''ve seen that ring!!! Did you buy it? (LOVE Ruby Lane - bought a few things from there.....)

I think that part on the side of my ring is just the design (the part that looks like the head of the gavel is just where the top of it juts in a bit so...... don''t think it''s intentional)

Have you seen THIS ring on GoAntiques?

http://www.goantiques.com/search/item_detail.jsp?id=1400177

I don''t think it''s an Eastern Star ring but it is SO unique, isn''t it?

- Jodie -

Nah, I wound up getting a different one (I''ll resist the urge to hijack your thread here!). Rubylane is awesome - I feel like the sellers are somehow more reliable than the mixed bag of eBay. There might be fewer shots at really excellent deals ... but the sellers seem to know what they''re doing with more frequency. GoAntiques seems similar, judging by that (completely awesome, deeply cool, how-much-do-I-want-THAT) ring. I didn''t know about that site. Methinks I''m going to have a new obsession!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results