shape
carat
color
clarity

my very first Pad...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
They maybe BE treated but the colors are pretty. I have to lean toward the BE treatment for my pads, I think. I know that you can''t tell by just looking at it, but the color and the price I paid for them, I''m going to have to say it''s BE. But, that''s ok by me.

I don''t think too many people know what a Pad is in my area. They''re suprised to know that garnet, sapphire, or just different gems comes in such array of colors. They only think that garnet=red, sapphire=blue, or that aqua''s comes in different shades of blue.

I love the pictures and the links. It sure is purdy!!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mochi, If Be is what you can afford then that is what you can afford. Yours are very beautiful.

You are right. People will not know what they are. People ask me all the time. I have gone into a maul store and the young salespeople, have told me that sapphires only come in blue and that is it. I love to educate them. You will to.
9.gif

We will be looking forward to the settings that you pick out.
36.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As long as you didn''t get ripped off AKA paid more than what it''s worth and you love it, there''s nothing wrong with a BE or other treated stones. Full disclosure from the vendor is a must for me but yours may not understand gemstones the way we do here on PS. I find the knowledge of many jewellers about gemstones lacking, especially in less well known gems beyond blue sapphire, red ruby and etc. There''s a market for every budget. Your pads are lovely and the colour is fabulous. Enjoy them.
2.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2009 8:40:12 PM
Author: Linda W
Mochi, If Be is what you can afford then that is what you can afford. Yours are very beautiful.

You are right. People will not know what they are. People ask me all the time. I have gone into a maul store and the young salespeople, have told me that sapphires only come in blue and that is it. I love to educate them. You will to.
9.gif

We will be looking forward to the settings that you pick out.
36.gif
\

Agree with Linda(nice avatar change!!)--enjoy your stones--lovely color!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Harriet, that is a pretty stone, but I wonder if the blue zoning wouldn''t bother me...the overall color is really pretty!

Mochi, I agree with the others. I totally would not care if it was Be treated, heated or whatever as long as I paid a fair price for those stones.

Speaking of, does anyone have any idea what the scale would be? Let''s say one carat, unheated pad with fine color and cut for $5000. What would a comparable heated cost vs a Be? Is it about a 30% premium over a heated?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/15/2009 10:25:29 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Harriet, that is a pretty stone, but I wonder if the blue zoning wouldn't bother me...the overall color is really pretty!

Mochi, I agree with the others. I totally would not care if it was Be treated, heated or whatever as long as I paid a fair price for those stones.

Speaking of, does anyone have any idea what the scale would be? Let's say one carat, unheated pad with fine color and cut for $5000. What would a comparable heated cost vs a Be? Is it about a 30% premium over a heated?

I realized that "Gem select" isn't 'an authority on gems, but it might help:
Article on Pricing

This one states a 30% difference between regularly heated and Be-heated (Don't know the difference between heated and unheated though)
Difference

I would actually wonder if a Be-treated pad would still qualify as a "natural pad" by AGTA since you could argue that the color isn't "natural"? If that's the case, I'd imagine it'd be more than 30% just because part of the reason the cost of pads is so high is for the name "pad". I've been reading articles on it, lots of controversy :/ Apparently Jewelry TV has gotten into some hot water selling BE treated stones without full disclosure.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mochi,
I love your attitude!
36.gif

Chrono,
I agree with you. Regardless of the price, the onus is on the vendor to disclose any treatment that he knows of.

TGal,
I''m not sure how much blue is in that stone. I''m weird. The blue makes the stone more interesting to me!
9.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2009 8:00:04 PM
Author: mochi
They maybe BE treated but the colors are pretty. I have to lean toward the BE treatment for my pads, I think. I know that you can''t tell by just looking at it, but the color and the price I paid for them, I''m going to have to say it''s BE. But, that''s ok by me.

I don''t think too many people know what a Pad is in my area. They''re suprised to know that garnet, sapphire, or just different gems comes in such array of colors. They only think that garnet=red, sapphire=blue, or that aqua''s comes in different shades of blue.

I love the pictures and the links. It sure is purdy!!
Go Mochi!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Harriet, you're not weird, you have a great eye for stones and if you bought it, I'm sure you would start a craze here for people looking for pads with blue! lol.

Mochi, I can't remember off the top of my head, but one of the labs won't cert a Be stone (I think it's AGTA). I believe Be stones are not Pads. They are pad colored.

Off to look at your links..thanks!

ETA, well I do see that AGTA would look at a stone and determine synthetic or any treatments, so maybe it wasn't them? I'll keep looking...

http://www.agta-gtc.org/report_padparadscha.htm

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Whoops, it was AGTA. Missed it in the link I posted above.

Here''s a quote:

The original locality for padparadscha was Sri Lanka (Ceylon). Fine stones have also been found in Vietnam''s Quy Chau district, Tanzania''s Tunduru district, and Madagascar. Stones from these latter three areas are sometimes heat-treated. Note that we do not issue Padparadscha reports for stones that are treated by beryllium diffusion.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mochi - I love your attitude! At the end of the day, if your gemstones give you pleasure and make your smile then that''s all that matters.

Date: 3/16/2009 9:26:35 AM
Author: MakingTheGrade

Date: 3/15/2009 10:25:29 PM
Harriet, that is a pretty stone, but I wonder if the blue zoning wouldn''t bother me...the overall color is really pretty!

Speaking of, does anyone have any idea what the scale would be? Let''s say one carat, unheated pad with fine color and cut for $5000. What would a comparable heated cost vs a Be? Is it about a 30% premium over a heated?

I realized that ''Gem select'' isn''t ''an authority on gems, but it might help:
Article on Pricing

This one states a 30% difference between regularly heated and Be-heated (Don''t know the difference between heated and unheated though)
Difference

I would actually wonder if a Be-treated pad would still qualify as a ''natural pad'' by AGTA since you could argue that the color isn''t ''natural''? If that''s the case, I''d imagine it''d be more than 30% just because part of the reason the cost of pads is so high is for the name ''pad''. I''ve been reading articles on it, lots of controversy :/ Apparently Jewelry TV has gotten into some hot water selling BE treated stones without full disclosure.
T/Gal - No they''re not considered to be Pads as they are not naturally Pad coloured. They are sapphires however.

In terms of pricing - all of the photos I linked to above were less than $200 (for the whole item - stone/setting etc).

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 12:41:41 PM
Harriet, you're not weird, you have a great eye for stones and if you bought it, I'm sure you would start a craze here for people looking for pads with blue! lol.
I am weird. I like certain inclusions. Thanks for your compliment!

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Me, too. I find that some inclusions add character to the stone...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results