shape
carat
color
clarity

My Valentine's Day Proposal Idea

thisisjohnny

Rough_Rock
My GF and I have always had a special thing for St. Regis hotels.

Our first time traveling together, I splurged and spent some starwood points on two nights at the St. Regis New York. It was my first time staying there and her first time in NYC. We recently went on our second trip together and I surprised her when we checked into the St. Regis there. This January we are going to LA for a few days. I've convinced her that there is no St. Regis in LA (this is true), but I will surprise her when we check into the St. Regis Monarch Beach in South Orange County. We have already talked about getting married and I will do some sort of romantic build up to where she'll probably think I am going to propose, but I will be happy to just let her know how much I love her and want to spend the rest of my life with her, but alas, no ring, no bended knee proposal. Not this time.

The proposal will have to wait until February 14th. I've already booked a room at the St. Regis in our home town where we both live. I'm not even going to tell her that I've got a room there, just that we're going out for dinner. After dinner at the restaurant at the St. Regis, I'll suggest going to look at their ballrooms since we've always talked about having our reception there, but before hand, I'm going to have candles laid out to spell out "Will You Marry Me" on the floor of the ballroom. The hotel staff will help me light the candles while we're at dinner. Then before we enter the ballroom, I'm going to profess my love for her and ask her to open the door to the ballroom. When she opens and sees her surprise, she'll turn around and see me on bended knee with the ring in it's case.

Since she is a school teacher, she will no doubt be concerned about getting home at a reasonable time to get to school early the next morning. She'll probably be concerned that she doesn't have clothes or any of her toiletries to get ready, but I'm going to make sure she has all of her usual face wash, shampoo, toothbrush and I'm going to buy her a new set of nice work clothes all nicely pressed and hung up in our room which she'll have no idea about. Since the butlers at the St. Regis are very nice, I'm going to buy two dozen roses and pull the petals myself and prepare a nice hot bath for her after our dinner. The bath will be ready when she is.

I'll have to think of additional details to make the night even more special for her, but that's my idea in rough for now. I'm open to any suggestions on how to make things even more special for her.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
thisisjohnny|1292818716|2801452 said:
We have already talked about getting married and I will do some sort of romantic build up to where she'll probably think I am going to propose, but I will be happy to just let her know how much I love her and want to spend the rest of my life with her, but alas, no ring, no bended knee proposal. Not this time.

The proposal will have to wait until February 14th.

I want to start off by saying your plan is beautiful, romantic, and well thought out.

But if my bf did that to me, I'd be kind of sad and disappointed. Possibly mad. Maybe enough to not fully enjoy everything you did on the trip. Just my opinion.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Uh, this.
"We have already talked about getting married and I will do some sort of romantic build up to where she'll probably think I am going to propose, but I will be happy to just let her know how much I love her and want to spend the rest of my life with her, but alas, no ring, no bended knee proposal. Not this time."

Not a good idea. Unless she really doesn't want to get married to you, in which case there will be no hurt feelings all around. :bigsmile:

Also for her second plan, why not take her to dinner, hotel on an evening where she does NOT have to work such as do an early Valentine's on the 11th? shame not to be able to sleep in late.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Is there any way you can find out what she would think of a Valentine's day proposal? Maybe do a "so and so from work says he's thinking of proposing to his girlfriend on valentine's day" and see what she says. Some girls aren't a fan of the Valentine's day proposal. She might love it, or she might prefer a proposal on your trip in January.

thisisjohnny

Rough_Rock
But if my bf did that to me, I'd be kind of sad and disappointed. Possibly mad. Maybe enough to not fully enjoy everything you did on the trip. Just my opinion.

point well received... i thought of it as a bit more playful, but i can see how it borders on mean spirited and can quickly backfire. i will tone it down on our so cal trip.

Also for her second plan, why not take her to dinner, hotel on an evening where she does NOT have to work such as do an early Valentine's on the 11th? shame not to be able to sleep in late.

great idea, I'm not so attached to Valentine's Day and perhaps it's a bit cliche and over done... I think an early Valentine's day dinner to avoid the crowds followed by a relaxing Sunday brunch at our favorite brunch spot will be well received.

Is there any way you can find out what she would think of a Valentine's day proposal? Maybe do a "so and so from work says he's thinking of proposing to his girlfriend on valentine's day" and see what she says. Some girls aren't a fan of the Valentine's day proposal. She might love it, or she might prefer a proposal on your trip in January.

We've talked about getting married enough that I don't like that it's almost a forgone conclusion... I'd like a little misdirection and some sense of surprise... as I mentioned before, I'll tone it down in January so that it's not a mean spirited mind game.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock

We've talked about getting married enough that I don't like that it's almost a forgone conclusion... I'd like a little misdirection and some sense of surprise... as I mentioned before, I'll tone it down in January so that it's not a mean spirited mind game.[/quote]

I'm sure she's on the same page marriage wise. I meant about a Valentine's day proposal. If she loves Valentine's day that's great, but some girls think that day is a bit cheesy and would rather be proposed to on any other day. I'm sure she'll be thrilled with a proposal whenever it comes, I just thought you should know how some of my friends feel about a proposal on Valentine's day.

Lizzy2013

Rough_Rock
Johnny:

Your ideas for a big over the top proposal are AWESOME (except for the fake-out proposal which I am assuming you opted against). So.....are you planning on proposing next weekend?

Elizabeth

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results