shape
carat
color
clarity

My Upgrade OEC & I Need Setting/Band Help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DecoLVR

Rough_Rock
Hi all! I''m a long-time lurker but first time poster. First I wanted to say thank you to everyone for sharing your knowledge and beautiful rings on the forum. It has helped me immensely in the decision making process for this upgrade.

My original e-ring was a 3/4ct emerald cut solitaire. My new ring is an old European cut set in platinum with small accent diamonds and french-cut sapphires.

Diamond specs:

1.20ct
VVS2 clarity
K color

I absolutely LOVE the setting…but, I have a few concerns about it. I''m torn between resetting or leaving as-is. The diamond is original to the setting, and I know that rings like this one, in their original condition, are becoming harder to find, so I kind of hate to separate the diamond from the setting.

On a side note, the little cut-outs on either side of the diamond look to me like they may have originally had a stone set in them but I can''t tell for sure. The way the flat side of the triangle is pointed inwards makes me think maybe they weren''t meant to have a stone there.

I am scared to death to wear the ring due to the fact that the diamond sits up very high and is only held by 4 prongs. I''m so afraid I''m going to knock it off my desk or a wall and chip the stone. I thought about just not wearing the ring around the house, but I''m used to wearing my e-ring 24/7 and I don''t want to have to worry about taking it on and off all the time.

I am having an extremely difficult time finding a band that will go with it. I think it needs a curved band which will almost have to be custom made and that''s out of the budget at the moment. If I decide to keep this setting I need to find something that I can wear now that looks good until we can have one custom made. I''m thinking a thin sapphire or diamond eternity.

I would love to hear your opinions? Reset or keep as-is? And what kind of wedding band if I keep this setting? TIA!

Platinum OEC filigree 4.JPG

DecoLVR

Rough_Rock
I have a few more pictures to post. I can only seem to attach them one at the time.

Platinum OEC filigree 5.JPG

DecoLVR

Rough_Rock
This one shows off the butterfly in the filigree. There is one on each side.

Platinum OEC filigree.JPG

DecoLVR

Rough_Rock
Last one...

Platinum OEC filigree 3.JPG

stacy

Shiny_Rock
You sound like me -- my favorite diamond cuts are emerald cut and OECs!
18.gif

If you''re scared to wear your ring, I would re-set it into something more secure. I know a lot of people may disagree, but since this is your engagement ring, you''ll want to wear it every day. You don''t want to risk losing that gorgeous diamond!

Keep us updated on what you decide. The ring is beautiful... Maybe you could put a gemstone in the current setting as use it as a right hand ring?

DecoLVR

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/3/2009 3:58:11 PM
Author: stacy
You sound like me -- my favorite diamond cuts are emerald cut and OECs!
18.gif

If you''re scared to wear your ring, I would re-set it into something more secure. I know a lot of people may disagree, but since this is your engagement ring, you''ll want to wear it every day. You don''t want to risk losing that gorgeous diamond!

Keep us updated on what you decide. The ring is beautiful... Maybe you could put a gemstone in the current setting as use it as a right hand ring?

That''s too funny! Emerald and OEC are my two favorite cuts as well. I had a hard time deciding between the two for my upgrade. Ultimately, the OECs sparkle won over the emerald cut.

That was my plan, if I do reset the diamond, to set a sapphire in this ring and wear it as a right hand ring.

DecoLVR

Rough_Rock
Well, after talking it over with my husband last night, we have decided to keep the diamond is its original setting. He doesn''t want to mess with perfection and I have to agree. I will just need to be extra cautious about knocking my hand on things. I''m left-handed so it makes it a little more difficult. I keep telling myself though that if the diamond has held up so long in this setting without a single chip, then it''s probably more secure than I realize.

stacy

Shiny_Rock
The stone probably is more secure than you think, but you could ask a jeweler you trust to check the setting, just in case.

My jeweler is used to me asking him to check the prongs on my rings! He''s very patient with me!

TBjumper

Shiny_Rock

I think it''s just lovely the way it is! Any old piece esp. an OEC makes my heart pitter patter.

30.gif
Finding one will be my ultimate upgrade when the time comes. Like Stacy posted, if you guys take it to a jeweler and they say the setting is safe... WEAR THAT STUNNER!!

I am all for taking care of a little piece of history, but at the end of the day jewelry is made to be enjoyed. (AFTER INSURANCE!!!) I am sure the benchman that created the ring in the first place would be thrilled that many years later his piece is still getting out in the sun and being enjoyed by someone that loves it!

I think you are spot on with a tiny, thin band until the time comes when you guys want to make a custom band as well. Congrats again on the upgrade
36.gif

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty!!!! I would try to keep it as is......the stone doesn''t appear to be extremely high from those pictures, but ditto on taking it to a jeweler to check the prongs out, just to be safe.

DecoLVR

Rough_Rock
We will definitely take it to our jeweler to have him check out the prongs. I''m also going to ask him if the inside of the band can be smoothed out. It appears to have been re-shanked, and while you can''t tell from the outside, the inside of the band looks a little lumpy where the new shank was soldered on.

I just measured the profile height, the table of the diamond sits up 8mm from my finger. I was surprised, I thought it would be higher than that. My original e-ring was 5mm off the finger and it seemed 10x lower than this one. It''s amazing what a difference just a few mm can make!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I''m so glad you decided to leave that beauty intact!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on your pretty new upgrade!! Have your jeweler check it out and then enjoy it.
9.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations! I think you''re going to have to do without a matching band with this. You can decide to splurge on a whole new band and move this to your right hand when you''re married or just use this as your w-ring as well.

DecoLVR

Rough_Rock
My jeweler has checked out the setting and said the prongs are in great shape and the diamond is secure. :) So now I''m on the look-out for a band. I''m currently wearing it with my original 2mm plain band. I actually really like the way it looks, but since the profile of the band is so low, about .5mm, the engagement ring slides over it and you can''t even tell that I have a band on. I have to keep moving it back in place.
20.gif
I don''t know where I can find a plain 2mm platinum band that has a higher profile. Any ideas?

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ring!!! Your upgrade is stunning!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results