shape
carat
color
clarity

My unintended upgrade: 2.968 H VS2 ACA

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Two years ago I traded in my non-WF stone for a WF ES 3.2 J VS2. It was a beautiful stone, the perfect size, and I absolutely adored it! I had intended to keep the stone for a long time and had no plans to upgrade. However, towards the end of last year several PSers scored these gorgeous 2.9+ I VS ACAs, which got me thinking that perhaps I should swap my stone for a slightly smaller 2.9+ I ACA. A 2.9 I is priced similarly to a 3.2 J so there would be almost no cost incurred. I searched the WF inventory and saw that the 2.913 I VS2 that @ajunes16 originally selected had not been sold. The only problem was the stone was 0.2mm smaller in diameter than my 3.2. This meant it would be visibly smaller and most likely require a new head to be made for my existing setting. To combat this, I would need to find one with super spread like @HappyNewLife's, but what are the chances right? I was on the fence for a while but ultimately passed on the 2.913. I decided to forget about swapping and just enjoy the stone I had.

From time to time, I search the WF inventory for fun and around xmas time last year a 2.968 H VS2 popped up in my search! A 3ct H VS2 is my ULTIMATE dream stone but such a stone was WAY out of budget. Even though I had no intentions of upgrading so soon, a 2.968 H VS2 is a TOTAL unicorn! By staying just under 3ct, the cost of my upgrade would be half the cost of an upgrade to a 3+ct H. Not only that, this stone is super spready, a twin of @HappyNewLife's stone! It is only 0.1mm smaller than my 3.2, which meant the size decrease would not be visible and I would be able to reuse the head of my existing setting. It was just all too perfect to pass up so I blew my bling budget for the forseeable future (goodbye tennis bracelet!) and went for the upgrade.

2.968 H VS2
Depth % 60.3
Table % 57.4
Crown Angle 34.1
Pavilion Angle 40.8
Measurements 9.31x9.37x5.63 mm

My previous stones all had crown angles of 34.5+ so I was a little worried that this stone would have less fire. This is not the case at all! In certain lighting conditions, I think the shallower crown actually makes the stone look bigger than my 3.2 because it returns more white light. The ring is a size 4.75. I had WF shave down the prongs slightly so that that less of the crown facets are covered. The head of the setting was made by WF but the shank is from my original e-ring made by Excel.

Last edited:

Sparkles88

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow!!! Wow!! Your upgrade is stunning, I’m actually speechless, such a beautiful diamond, I can’t wait to see on your hand :love:

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! What a gorgeous upgrade!
Do you notice the difference between this and your J?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a stunning ring. This stone has so much impact! Your ring looks gorgeous on you.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:love: Absolutely stunning!

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow!!! Wow!! Your upgrade is stunning, I’m actually speechless, such a beautiful diamond, I can’t wait to see on your hand :love:
Thank you Sparkles88!

Wow! What a gorgeous upgrade!
Do you notice the difference between this and your J?
Thank you foxinsox! Do you mean in terms of color? If looking straight on, the difference is subtle, as a well-cut J is still very white face-up. But if viewing at an angle, I was able to see the tint in the J, whereas the H looks colorless to me. The difference is most apparent with the side profile. The H has a very slight tint from the side, whereas the J had an obvious tint.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a lovely new upgrade!:appl:It looks perfect on you!:wavey:

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So elegant and perfect, a truly classy combo!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks beautiful on you - congrats on your upgrade!!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:love::love::love::love:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@CareBear, GORGEOUS! Wow that is just perfect on you. LOVE.:love::love::love:
The best things in life occasionally happen "unintentionally" haha.
Congratulations!:appl:

Maggiemeans

Shiny_Rock
Premium
This looks HUGE!!!!! So very pretty!. I love it.

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
THAT IS AMAZING! I love that size on you! The proportion of the stone and your finger is beautiful!

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s beautiful! It looks so big on your hand!
I still get WF notifications when new diamonds pop up and just Monday they sent me a list. There was a 2.973 H VS2 that showed up. It would basically cost me nothing (~$1k) and of course the wheels were turning. It also would be only .1mm smaller than my current stone.
But, I like the fatter arrows on my diamond and the higher clarity. So even though it’s really tempting to get the higher color, I would rather keep my diamond.
Congrats on finding your unicorn! It’s really beautiful!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW! That's a true beauty CareBear, a great choice!

imitcan

Shiny_Rock
What a gorgeous ring. If I could upgrade I’d get exactly this! Your set is perfect.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spectacular choice. It is a very stunning diamond. Congratulations!

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Acinom, Alex T, m-2-b, kipari, MissGotRocks, LLJsmom, Maggiemeans, metall, bright ice, imitcan, ILkeShiny,
Thank you for your kind words! I am beyond ecstatic with this upgrade!

@CareBear, GORGEOUS! Wow that is just perfect on you. LOVE.:love::love::love:
The best things in life occasionally happen "unintentionally" haha.
Congratulations!:appl:
Thank you Missy! Yes I totally agree! The best things in life do happen "unintentionally"!

It’s beautiful! It looks so big on your hand!
I still get WF notifications when new diamonds pop up and just Monday they sent me a list. There was a 2.973 H VS2 that showed up. It would basically cost me nothing (~$1k) and of course the wheels were turning. It also would be only .1mm smaller than my current stone.
But, I like the fatter arrows on my diamond and the higher clarity. So even though it’s really tempting to get the higher color, I would rather keep my diamond.
Congrats on finding your unicorn! It’s really beautiful!
Thank you Kayla! I saw the new 2.973 H VS2 as well and was hoping it would go to a PSer! What are the specs of your current stone?

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You’re welcome. My current diamond is 3.098 and is 9.33 x 9.35. The 2.973 H VS2 is 9.20x 9.28. So not much difference really in diameter. But I like the tighter numbers in my diamond. My diamond is I VS1 and I like that it has fatter arrows also. I see bolder flashes of light compared to my other ACA.
Not all ACAs are cut equally. I had a 3.321 I VS2 that I returned for my current diamond bc it had some wavy lines in it that bugged me. They were clear but showed up in all my pictures. For a while I also was thinking about getting that 2.913 I VS2 as well.
Going up to a 3 carat H would definitely cost a lot more money so I totally get wanting to get a diamond just under the 3 carat mark.
It makes sense and looks just as big.
Congrats again!
Are there pics of your new stone anywhere? If not, we need to see it! I love that we're totally on the same wavelength! Btw, I just saw that the 2.973 H VS2 is already in reserved status. Man that stone went fast!!! I didn't know WF had new stone notifications! Hmm...for my own good, I best not sign up for that.

Last edited:

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow!!!! Gorgeous isn't even a large enough word! !! Fan-freaking-tastic!!!!!!!!!!!!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous stone!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous diamond :love:
Congratulations on such an unique find :clap:

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Holy. That is gorgeous. Funny- it’s like looking at my own ring, but it still wows the hell out of me!

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you ceg, redwood66, cflutist!

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Holy. That is gorgeous. Funny- it’s like looking at my own ring, but it still wows the hell out of me!
My upgrade would NOT have happened without your upgrade! After seeing your threads, I was totally coveting your stone, especially that crazy spread! Then I found your stone's twin! :-o I wonder if the same person cut them?

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are there pics of your new stone anywhere? If not, we need to see it! I love that we're totally on the same wavelength! Btw, I just saw that the 2.973 H VS2 is already in reserved status. Man that stone went fast!!! I didn't know WF had new stone notifications! Hmm...for my own good, I best not sign up for that.
Lol! Don’t sign up. I tried to get off the list for notifications but I don’t remember what password I used. Luckily I haven’t seen one diamond pop up yet that makes me want to take the leap! I seriously think this could be my forever diamond! :eek2::roll2:
I am planning on setting my diamond soon so once it’s done I will post a new thread. The setting is ready but I don’t want to ship my diamond. :cry2:

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a gorgeous, HONKIN' stone!!! Congrats on such an amazing find!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results