shape
carat
color
clarity

My topaz collection

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
These 7 gems are my topaz collection, except for blue, which because it is colored by man, I don’t consider to be “real” topaz. All are photographed with incandescent, not daylight, because the gems show better in this warm light. All but one are from Brazil. These three below are precious, but not imperial:
3.42 ct barrel, 4.00 ct square, 1.88 ct emerald cut The color is more intense than it appears here.

prtopaz0066.jpg

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
This gem is getting the pink to try to be imperial, but is too pastel. It does have astounding brilliance, however. From Pakistan, 4.14 ct opposed bar:

pakTopaz0075.jpg

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
This gem is the only one where the photo is not completely accurate. I just can’t get it right. It is more orange and less red than it appears here. It is corrrect in photoshop, but not here. When I showed the finished gem to the rough dealer where I bought it (the largest dealer in the U.S.), his comment (exact quote) “does topaz come any better than this?” 3.60 ct backgammon rectangle cut:

backtop0076.jpg

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
Intense pink topaz, 2.68 ct pear cut. The blue highlights are some daylight leaking in as I photographed with incandescent light.

pktopaz0072.jpg

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
Can you tell I like topaz? You’ve seen this one before, 5.00 ct barrel cut imperial topaz:

imptop1327.jpg

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Oh my gosh, what an amazing color on that 5 ct barrell cut!
30.gif

You have an exquisite collection, Zeolite!

I used to wish my birthstone was a diamond, but these stones make me proud to be born in November.
16.gif

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Big WOW - and then some!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/28/2010 5:26:59 PM
Author: crasru
Big WOW - and then some!

I know! And this is only a fraction of his amazing collection. I would love to see it all in one thread some day!

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/28/2010 5:36:12 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Date: 3/28/2010 5:26:59 PM

Author: crasru

Big WOW - and then some!

I know! And this is only a fraction of his amazing collection. I would love to see it all in one thread some day!
OH MY GOSH!

Me too!!

Zeolite, when you get some time, would you do the honours!

WOW!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Mr Zeolite - I am surprised you consider blue topaz not to be topaz. There is natural blie topaz, after all. I agree that it won''t get the best blue award, but it is topaz. Perhaps you could make it your quest to find a good natural blue?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
sweet!

mz

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Please marry me Mr Z. please, please please. I''ll worship the air you breathe forever - I promise!!

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous stones.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think Mr Zeolite has received more proposals here in PS than most men have had dates. And, if not, all he has to do is show some more of his sweet pictures!

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
WOW, what a topaz treat! Very exquisite gems
36.gif

Gailey, lol nice one
9.gif

stci

Ideal_Rock
OMG!!! They are gorgeous! Congrats for this beautiful collection!
36.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Amazing!

DistinctionJewelry

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Your collection is simply stunning! I happen to love blue topaz even though it''s nuked, but man....your natural topazes are wonders. Wow. I''m especially in love with the perfect, perfect topaz color of the first three, and the exquisitely exotic red of the last one.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Amazing collection. I like seeing all the different cuts and colours.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s not often that we get to see untreated topaz; nice collection, Zeolite.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
very nice zeo..topaz is one of those weird stones..it''s extremely common but there are varieties that go above and beyond what normal folks think of when they see or hear topaz....some of those colors are extremely rare..i know my purple topaz contact and the only one I know with any cuttable material sells his purps at $1000 a gram in the rough..I had stated before on another post John Dyer has cut imperials that cost the price of a house...no really a house..thats a lot of money for a topaz but it''s a very rare variety..pinks, purps, and reds..i have never had a really good red crystal..have had one that was reddish-pink but never a good red

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/30/2010 12:41:41 AM
Author: amethystguy
very nice zeo..topaz is one of those weird stones..it''s extremely common but there are varieties that go above and beyond what normal folks think of when they see or hear topaz....some of those colors are extremely rare..i know my purple topaz contact and the only one I know with any cuttable material sells his purps at $1000 a gram in the rough..I had stated before on another post John Dyer has cut imperials that cost the price of a house...no really a house..thats a lot of money for a topaz but it''s a very rare variety..pinks, purps, and reds..i have never had a really good red crystal..have had one that was reddish-pink but never a good red

Amguy -These sound like the same gems Gailey has mentioned that she has seen in person.
Zeolite - Again, beautiful photos of beautiful gems that make me want to see fine Topaz for myself.

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/28/2010 9:51:32 PM
Author: Lady_Disdain
Mr Zeolite - I am surprised you consider blue topaz not to be topaz. There is natural blie topaz, after all. I agree that it won''t get the best blue award, but it is topaz. Perhaps you could make it your quest to find a good natural blue?
Topaz is fairly common throughout the world, but the vast majority of it is extremely pale. While it does have the colors of blue, green, or yellow, it is really closer to an off white. Intense colored topaz occurs in only two locations: a one square mile area of Ouro Preto, Brazil, and near Mardan, Pakistan.

Natural topaz is treated to blue by three different processes of irradiation and heating. The deepest color is called London blue, the medium color is Swiss blue, and the first process and palest color is called sky blue.

Natural blue topaz is considerably paler than sky blue. In today''s market, it is extremely difficult to find natural blue, it is less desirable in color to sky blue, and it is almost impossible to determine if the color is natural or irradiated.

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/28/2010 10:58:29 PM
Author: Gailey
Please marry me Mr Z. please, please please. I''ll worship the air you breathe forever - I promise!!

Thank you very much, Gailey, I love your enthusiasm! I''d take up your generous offer instantly, if only I could convince my wife to disappear.
emotion-5.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/30/2010 12:41:41 AM
Author: amethystguy
very nice zeo..topaz is one of those weird stones..it's extremely common but there are varieties that go above and beyond what normal folks think of when they see or hear topaz....some of those colors are extremely rare..i know my purple topaz contact and the only one I know with any cuttable material sells his purps at $1000 a gram in the rough..I had stated before on another post John Dyer has cut imperials that cost the price of a house...no really a house..thats a lot of money for a topaz but it's a very rare variety..pinks, purps, and reds..i have never had a really good red crystal..have had one that was reddish-pink but never a good red
Yup, the ones I saw fell into this bracket. Not even a sea view with them either. To be fair though, I think John has somewhat less expensive Imperial Topaz as well.

Jason, have you or your contact got any pictures of the purple topaz? I'm sure we'd love to see some.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/30/2010 12:24:55 PM
Author: zeolite

Date: 3/28/2010 10:58:29 PM
Author: Gailey

Thank you very much, Gailey, I love your enthusiasm! I''d take up your generous offer instantly, if only I could convince my wife to disappear.
emotion-5.gif
Well I daresay Mr Gailey would pay Mrs Z handsomely to make a discreet withdrawal if he thought he would be rid of me and my obsession at the same time.
emwink.gif

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/28/2010 9:51:32 PM
Author: Lady_Disdain
O.K., here is a brand new addition to my topaz collection. Natural colorless topaz treated to sky blue. The first picture is indoors, full spectrum fluorescent lighting. It is flawless to the unaided eye; 8.98 cts

btop0172.jpg

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
Here it is outdoors. What looks like a window is just excessive tilt. When I get the camera directly above, it blocks the overcast daylight. The color is more saturated than it shows here.

btop0176.jpg

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
Trying again for the right color

btop01761.jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
I know he has facet purple rough for sale..and he has true 100% natural bi-color topaz..I picked up 3 from him..non-facetgrade as i couldn''t afford the clean facetgrade..you want to talk about rare..purple, red, and pink have nothing on the bi-colors..those are the rarest of the rare..I don''t know if you saw the 3rd one I had that i sold to a friend..might see if I still have a pic of it..half pinkish-purple and a good split to a orangish color..the other two i have are a gradual color split..that third one had a nice split..I had to cull those 3 from his personal..and he has larger cleaner bi''s for cutting believe it or not...those truly are the rarest of the rare in topaz..he also has clean best color blue euclase..sigh..stuff so nice but expensive..he is a good hook..he is american but moved to ouro preto when he was 20 and lived there for 7 years..even married a brazilian..moved back to minnesota last year

bi-color topaz 1.jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
that top one is around 5cts..this one same thing..the color change is gradual..that tghird one I had was split awesomely..these cost me a pretty penny..
very nice on the topaz..I am not a big fan of the blues but yours looks pretty darn nice, zeo..well done!!!!!!!!

bi-color topaz 2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results