shape
carat
color
clarity

My Tiffany 5th Ave experience

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Morgan

Rough_Rock
I just completed a 1 month US trip that ended in NYC for a diamond purchase and proposal.

I had learnt alot from here and intended to buy from GOG but after consideration decided that tiffany (which by coincidence ;-) my finace and I both love) was a good practical choice given that they were near our hotel and the stones are set thus meaning less time out of our sightseeing af incredible NYC.

The Tiffany salesperson treated me like royalty, told me the store in Australia near my home would clean and resize for free as required and deal with any problems that arise on behalf of 5th ave. Her also offered me a one time upgrade with the ring I purchased keeping the same value If I spend double on the upgrade.

His name was Alan I I would recommend others to ask for him if lookin for an e ring in that store. The fact that he was from sydney originally but had spent 17 years in NYC with tiffany made for some great conversation and repoir between him and me and my finace.

He was very honest and open and confirmed he was unable to negotiate.

I ended up looking in the .7 range and was given 3 tiffany certificates to consider.

All 3 had VERY similar cuts and all gave close to 1 on the HCA. They also had VG polish and symmetry.

Interestingly, one stone had faint blue fl and the salesperson told me they sell up to medium blue fl.

I settled on a .7 I VS1 (I really wanted H VS2 but their selection was less than I expected under 1 ct).

It gave a 1 on the HCA and had no fl.

Importantly for us, we were assured that Tiffany did not use conflict diamonds.

The setting is a work of art and importantly the stone sits low (unlike most copies). Such a setting would have cost me $1000 - $2000 US in Australia ( I have priced many - infact our best jewelers might charge more for something of similar quality and less cache. And a vatche in the US would have come in around $1000.

I got a dark blue, very dramatic box that my finace tells me is suede outside and satin and velvet inside. Its alot nicer than I expected and really nice for the proposal in NY. I also got a light blue suede pouch.

OK - I did paid $5300 ($9000 AUD after taxes exchnage rate etc) which might have stretched to a set 1ct over the internet but:

- we got full office service on 5th ave and picked after viewing many stones and 3 certs; and

- we decided early on that a .7 was perfect on my 5''6 size 6 fiance and we never intended to be the flashiest couple or outdo the joneses

- it was a bargain compared to tiffany AUS ($12000 for a very similar ring and generally about 30% cheaper) and comparable in price to other stones sold in australia that are branded or known to be ideal.

The biggest surprise is that away from tiffany''s fabled lighting this stone gives out an incredible variety of white flashes and rainbows. More than in the store! If I wear my glasses the light hits them and gives what look to be 6 inch long flashes.

In my humble opinion, it performs better than anything I have seen including a HOF I was looking at. In all honest my perception of this vs H+As I have seen is a slightly lesser frequency of sparkles/flashes (marginal) but far greater intensity when the light is returned.

Another surprise is that given our purchase in NYC my family, her family, and all he friends and workmates are very curious to know where we bought it although I expected our rings'' "brand" would never arise.

However, there are 2 downsides from my POV -

All the knowledge I gained her came to nought as all of the stones were full on sparklers but I would have been very proud of myself to have pulled a sparkler out of the internets wide variety of qualities; and

I didnt really want an I color and in spite of the cut making it look whiter I do notice it in about 20% of situations. Ths was solely an issue of their slection and not cost as I was 10% under my budget for a set stone. Having said that I love the setting and the way the stone talks to me and my fiance, warmth and all.

Ill be sure to come back at upgrade time to learn the state of the art and the things to look out for.

Thank to everyone here that helped me.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations Morgan!
appl.gif

I'm glad you got a beautiful ring, and enjoyed the experience of it. The great experience will be something you both remember as part of your new life together.

NewYorker

Shiny_Rock
Congrats! You should know by now...WE WANT A PICTURE!

Again, congratulations!!!
9.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Congrats Morgan,

We wish you nothing but the best and glad you enjoyed your trip to NY.

I learn something new from all experiences. The lesson to be learned here fellow vendors is price is not the most important aspect of the deal...
2.gif

Regards,
Rhino

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
If I had their mark up I would treat you like royalty also
1.gif
Any place will clean the
ring for free and to resize the ring for free??? They threw you a $15 bone you might
not ever use, in return for $$$$$$$$$$ what they made off of you.

Im just going to tell it like it is , if that is ok.

Sometimes its the experience and not an extra $3,000 in your pocket. It depends
on your life style. Their lighting will make you forget what a HOF diamond looked
like the other day , too bad you can not take their lighting with you along with
carrying the blue
box around
1.gif
Their diamonds are average. Their lights are great. They make you
feel like a king while the other has his hands in your pocket.

Not to down play your experience, but I just don't want everybody to think that
you
need to go there, and you really missed the boat by not seeing GOG.

But that is
my
2 cents that is not worth much because its not my money. Its a done deal, enjoy,
wishing you many more
happy years.
People my think my H2 hummer is a waist, but I enjoy it and that is what counts. So, enjoy the ring and the relationship its a start of a new life
1.gif

Disregard this message its just an educated opinion.

Morgan

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 9/3/2003 4:10:40 PM Iceman wrote:

If I had their mark up I would treat you like royalty also
1.gif

----------------

If you had 6 palatial and historic stories on 5th avenue Id be happy to let you although your perception of markup would be different.

----------------

Any place will clean the
ring for free and to resize the ring for free???
----------------

At 160 stores worldwide? Will they upgrade anywhere in the US?
sick.gif

----------------

They threw you a $15 bone you might
not ever use, in return for $$$$$$$$$$ what they made off of you.

----------------

Oh dear! I paid for a work of art 100 year old setting, top quality service, peace of mind, and convenience of buying from a selection vs sight unseen internet transactions or travelling around chasing up stones and setters and setting mistakes.

Alot of internet purchases are a false economy as the discounted price is high given the risks involved with ending up with what you want.

----------------

Their lighting will make you forget what a HOF diamond looked
like the other day , too bad you can not take their lighting with you along with
carrying the blue
box around
1.gif

----------------

As I said, the stone looks better away from the lighting and best in ambient lighting. It sparkles in our bedroom with the lights off, shades drawn and no direct light!

The fabled tiffany lighting effect is identical to that of the flourescent downlights in my house and most others. IMHO it is one dimensional and does not do the stones justice.

----------------

Their diamonds are average. Their lights are great. They make you
feel like a king while the other has his hands in your pocket.

----------------

Good Mall stores sell average diamonds.

Their diamonds are in the top 2% of cuts and Im told are ideal cuts in the true sence (TIC at least).

In my experience generally give around a 1 on the HCA which has proven an accurate guide in all my ring assessments.

They only sell D-I and IF-VS2 but exclude those VS2s that have visible inclusions.

They do not sell conflict diamonds which is a major moral issue for some.

Most importantly, it clearly outperforms other diamonds including the HOF 1ct F that seemed to have a greater markup without the service, upgrade and cache.

----------------

People my think my H2 hummer is a waist, but I enjoy it and that is what counts. So, enjoy the ring and the relationship its a start of a new life
1.gif

Disregard this message its just an educated opinion.

----------------

Your Hummer H2 is without question a *waste*. Marketing costs are over $2000 PER VEHICLE, the engineerring is outdated and most importantly, the H2 has the worst defect rate in the US market! One that makes Hyundai look like a quality vehicle.

To any others considering buying from a designer jewlery I say give it a go and apply knowledge like the ideal scope and HCA to their items before dismissing them. Life is short.

Morgan

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 9/3/2003 11:31:22 AM Rhino wrote:

Congrats Morgan,

We wish you nothing but the best and glad you enjoyed your trip to NY.

I learn something new from all experiences. The lesson to be learned here fellow vendors is price is not the most important aspect of the deal...
2.gif"

Regards,
Rhino
----------------

Thanks Rhino.

Its David - we discussed 1ct F VS2s earlier this year. My fiance thought a 1ct was to flashy (she is small and wears no other jewlery). I found a nice .7 on your site and rang your assistants for directions but with the initial selection trip plus any independant assessment and setting I would not have had time.

In the end, right or wrong, I spent only 2 hours including travelling and at kinkos on central park on the HCA getting the finished tiffany product.

I would really have loved to have bought from you but I only had 7 days to see what I could of NYC and find a retaurant and still dont know where long island is
sad.gif
. I presume its south of staten island.

Even getting a good restaurant booking was hard - after hours of hassle Jean Georges on central park was great and was something else Tiffany helped with.

Thanks for your help on my search.

Morgan

Rough_Rock
----------------

Sometimes its the experience and not an extra $3,000 in your pocket.
----------------

I agree with experience but think convenience, after sales service and peace of mind (especially when buying in NYC and returing to live in Sydney Australia) are bigger issues.

However, the $3000 mark up is entirely inaccurate.

A similar stone on the net would cost $2200.

From pricescope ....

I
VS1
61.6%
54%
GIA
tnm
no
vg
vg
no
5.74x5.68x3.52
$3132
$2192*

I
VS1
61.6%
54%
GIA
tnm
no
vg
vg
no
5.74x5.68x3.52
$3131
$2192*

I
VS1
61.6%
54%
GIA
tnm
no
vg
vg
no
5.74x5.68x3.52
$3193
$2235*‡

I
VS1
61.1%
57%
GIA
m-tk-f
no
vg
gd
no
5.71-5.75*3.50i
$3243
$2270*‡

I
VS1
61%
57%
AGS
-
no
id
id
no

$3275
$2292*

I
VS1
61.6%
54%
GIA
tnm
no
vg
vg
no
5.74x5.68x3.52
$3296
$2307*

Needless to say, in a B+M store for another top shelf branded stone like HOF or 8* would cost closer to $3200. Others my perceive these as superior but I do not. Many others have never even heard of such brands and would not even perceive any difference in a side by side comparison.

In relation to the setting, it cannot be bought from tiffany and to me should be valued at alot more than the $1000 a nice vatche might cost.

So the additional cost for a B+M purchase is closer to $1000 odd or 20%.

Considering the hours I saved on a quick and stress free purchase on 5th its a bargain.

Even if it were $2000 extra it amazes me that people can make such a bid deal over such sums for a once in a life purchase.

Id wager that your H2 will cost you MANY times that in finance costs, fuel and depreciation EACH YEAR over a basic and much cheaper new car. However you, like many of us, laugh of such costs on the basis that it makes you happy.

So should others who wish to buy at Tiffany, Cartier, Bulgari etc etc. IMHO at the end of the day what is most important is whatever makes the couple happiest.

jenibear

Shiny_Rock
I know no one cares, but here's my 2 cents.

The fighting and nastiness over Tiffany is getting way out of hand. Suggestion is one thing, but mean comments are another.

Everyone is materialistic and everyone wastes money. What real need does a diamond serve in the great scheme of life? That being said I fully admit I am a materialistic spoiled brat. I don't hide it.

I wish others would own up to their true selves and stop attacking people about their preferneces. We all choose to live our lives the way we want.

Hooray for Iceman's Hummer.

And Hooray for Morgan's Tiffany diamond.

Jenibear

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Morgan, Ice, Jenni!
1.gif

Morgan, please don't mind Ice. He's been around on the boards a long time and speaks his mind rather plainly. A no bs kind of guy and were I in a war would have him by my side anytime.
1.gif
As we're spewing our minds here on the boards some things may be taken wrong or may not come out as we expect so don't take Ice's statements personally. I know he meant no harm but was just speaking his mind.

Believe me Morgan I completely understand. Sometimes it is just the convenience of the whole situation and I myself have paid higher prices because of convenience (reminds me of the prices they charge for soda and popcorn when I go to the movies). The convenience of the whole thing and before you know it ... PLUNK! :razz:

Thanks for considering us and glad for ya on your engagement.

Peace,
Rhino

Morgan

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 9/3/2003 10:22:21 PM Rhino wrote:

Hi Morgan, Ice, Jenni!
1.gif

Morgan, please don't mind Ice. He's been around on the boards a long time and speaks his mind rather plainly. A no bs kind of guy and were I in a war would have him by my side anytime.
1.gif
As we're spewing our minds here on the boards some things may be taken wrong or may not come out as we expect so don't take Ice's statements personally. I know he meant no harm but was just speaking his mind.

Believe me Morgan I completely understand. Sometimes it is just the convenience of the whole situation and I myself have paid higher prices because of convenience (reminds me of the prices they charge for soda and popcorn when I go to the movies). The convenience of the whole thing and before you know it ... PLUNK! :razz:

Thanks for considering us and glad for ya on your engagement.

Peace,
Rhino
----------------

Thanks Rhino. As you say, the convenience can be significant, especially for an international traveller.

It reminds me of my fiance deciding we should catch the train from JFK to Manhattan as it was $2 vs $38 in a cab. Sure it was cheaper but 2 hours later I firmly decided to get the 45 miute taxi back when we left
1.gif

To all - if I came off harsh I didnt mean to. I did however want to state the facts of my experience as I have searched the archives here for information on tiffany, cartier and others to find such facts. Im merely trying to help others with my experience and raw facts against "educated" opinions and emotional or self serving comments.

I certainly wasnt stating my opinion on the H2 - I merely stated the facts that appear in many US magazines and newspapers. Had I done an iceman and stated my opinion of the H2 it would have come off as harsh as his comments and alienated SUV drivers here in the same way he alienated designer jewelery buyers.

But opinions are like ... armpits ... sure everyone has them but we dont necessarily want to smell them all.

Kiz

Rough_Rock
Hey Iceman,
Does that attitude fit in the H2? I guess you need an H2 to drive around that attitude. You got one thing right, that H2 really is a waste of money. But hey thats just my 2 cents
2.gif

Thanks for educating us, we really appreciate it
wavey.gif

Here is to beating the dead horse
horse.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results