shape
carat
color
clarity

My table and depth are both 61%

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

carina

Rough_Rock
Is this ok on a very good cut round brilliant 2.29 carat

Brian Knox

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi,

While it is not in the ideal range , these measurements do not preclude the stone from being a beautiful diamond.

Before the recent popularity of ideal cut stones, diamonds with this type of make were very popular and desireable, and still are to many people.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Carina, it still can be a beautiful diamond is crown and pavilion angles are correct. This charts shows cut adviser scores for diamonds with 61% table, 1.2% girdle and pointed culet.

Red color (lower score) corresponds to better performing proportions.

t61.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Are there any other numbers you can share on the stone? Angles or percents?

carina

Rough_Rock
Thanks. I'll have them tomorrow night and let you know.

carina

Rough_Rock
I only have these measurements from the GIA cert.
Round Brilliant
2.29 ct
Meas. 8.42 - 8.49 x 5.17 mm
Depth 61.1%
Table 61%
Gridle Thin to Thick, facted
Culet: None
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Clarity: VVS2
Flourcence: None
Comments: Additional pinpoints not shown

Is this a well cut stone? Color is K but you can't see it.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Carina, it is difficult to judge diamond cut by depth and table numbers only (see for example this article: 60/60)

Just FYI, 2.29ct diamond with 61% table, 34.5° crown and 40.8° pavilion would have 8.64mm diameter.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
So from what Leonid says, sounds like your stone looks more like a 2.20c than a 2.29c...so it looks slightly smaller. Chances are the cut is mediocre...with the table and depth both at 61%, the thin-thick girdle and the loss of the diameter up top.

I would not classify this stone as 'very good cut' at all....did your jeweler tell you this? Did you already buy the stone? Can you return it and keep looking? I am not sure what your priorities are....and how much you spent, but also the color and clarity are hugely mismatched. A K VVS is like buying a D I3. What about something like a H VS or similar? You'd probably pay the same but the look of the color would be vastly different, clarity would not make a difference in terms of what your eye can see.

My two cents is that this stone would not be a keeper for me...I would return it and get a similar sized well-cut stone (table under 58%, depth under 62% to start) of around H VS for the same price.

Good luck!

carina

Rough_Rock
the stone was $11,000, did I get ripped off? The H VS's were alot more money and this stone does have great sparkle. The facets appear tiny and the K color is almost white looking, I've seen other K's with poor cuts that look very yellow. Oh well, I wanted the biggest stone that looked best for the cheapest price. Was it a big mistake. I'm really bothered by flaws that's why I liked the cleanliness of this stone.

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Carina,
I always seem to be a little out of step with the folks who've really done all the technical studies- luckily for me, I have never had the need to get so technical.

The work done by folks like Leonid, and Garry Holliway is very detailed, and extensive. Clearly, many people get great value from this research.
But for me, it's kind of like overanlyzing love.
That's not to say you should allow romance to overcome you ( in either case heheeh)

Of course there are many "red flags" to look for on a GIA report. the table depth stats you've posted are on the edge of acceptablility- but they are on the INSIDE edge. As Brian said- many diamonds with these stats are amazing to look at.

But when you're spending $11k on a 2ct Round Brilliant, there are going to be compromises needed.

I LOVE K/VVS- there's absolutely nothing wrong with going in this direction.
In a K color, VVS, and SI1 are not nearly as different in price as say, in an H color diamond.
THis means you're not paying a huge premium for getting a VVS- lots of folks LOVE to know thier diamond is exceptionally clean and free of imperfections.

I'm actually not writing from my office- so I can't confirm the price- but it seems in line for a B/M jewelry store.

Bottom line- If you love the way the diamond looks, this is the most important thing- especially in a case like yours where it seems you just want a beautiful stone, with good size, at a price you can live with.

Good luck and enjoy your new diamond!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Carina...your price is quite good actually...if you love the diamond and are happy with it, then that should really be all that matters. But since you came and asked..
2.gif
I did a quick search on Pscope just for comparison purposes. There was an AGS0 (57% table, 61.2% depth) 2.24 H VS2 EX/EX stone for about $13k through various vendors (if you can negotiate a discount it may be closer to $12k). So your price is good for what you got (the VVS clarity) but IMO if you could spend a bit more, you could get a better looking stone and up that color a bit. Just because it's AGS0 does not guarantee a knockout stone, but it's certainly a better starting ground than 61/61 in my opinion. Having had a non-ideal stone which was cut well enough to sparkle well, and now having had an ideal stone with excellent symmetry and basically H&A...the difference is absolutely huge.

However, as noted before...everyone's priorites are going to be different. I would NEVER drop color so much to a K just because I don't like flaws. Get a VS if you don't like flaws but your choice seems hugely 'drastic' to me. Drastic color, drastic clarity. There IS middle ground.

But again, if you love what you chose and it sparkles to your eye, then the price is not too high. As for your question on if you got 'taken'....my personal opinion would be that you got what you paid for. But as I noted above, there ARE other options out there where for a tiny bit more, could be considered. Same size (the diameter on the 2.24 is the same as your 2.29 basically), better color and still eye-clean clarity and quite possibly a much better cut.

In the end the decision on what to do is yours. But since you came to the forum asking for opinions and I can offer up some data....good luck with your choice!
1.gif

carina

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for being so understanding and nice.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
A liitle more "tech" stuff. These proportions fit very nicely into given carat weight and measurements.

carina01.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Light return and light leakage evaluations. Because of shallow pavilion and a bit large table a diamond with these proportions could be close to fisheye.

You might want to make sure you cannot see reflection of the girdle under the table in the face up position.

carina02.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
If the proportions I found are close to real, your stone would score 3.4 HCA - Very Good - Worth buying if the price is right. A small amount of tilt will show a fish-eye under the table of this diamond.

So I would check this diamond for fish-eye and it would be interesting if you could get Sarin data (crown and pavilion angles) for your stone.

carina

Rough_Rock
I wish I had the crown and pavillion measurements but since it's now mounted I don't think I want it reset. My Jeweler told me that a K color should not be placed in yellow gold because a diamond picks up what's around it. She was right, it looked faint yellow in yellow gold and more white in a white gold setting.
When I measure the crown with a ruler it measures 3.2mm does that make sense?
I think the diamond looks amazingly on the white side for a Color K.
And it sparkles and glitters like crazy. Guess I'll have to keep comparing it to better diamonds. But when it really comes down to it, if you can get a striking diamond with my combination K VVS for reasonable cost why not?
That fact is the color is not ideal but so what and the VVS is surely a great feature. I don't look at it as like having a D color I clarity as mentioned.
I just simply look at it as slight but barely obvious color with great clarity. I wouldn't want a 2ct diamond with a bubble or feather or a black carbon dot even if it was not visible to the naked eye - It feels defective to me. Thanks for listening.
wink2.gif

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
It's your diamond. If you love it I think you did great.

A lot of people feel that way about imperfection.

A spot, if it's noticable, is usually a bother- a true K color, mounted in white metal, will usually look stunning.- and K is about half of G and 1/3 the price oif D.

Leonid, the light leakage graph you posted is awesome- but- is it an actual photo of the diamond in the post?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results