shape
carat
color
clarity

My Son Proposed with a Brian Gavin Blue

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Of course, she said yes!

Over Christmas my son said it was time to take the relationship with his girlfriend of five years to the next level. :wink2: Naturally, he came to his jewelry loving mom for advice on purchasing a diamond ring. :naughty:

We reviewed his budget and what he knew about her wishes. She wanted a classic solitaire with no additional diamonds in the setting and a silver-colored metal. A round shape would be fine. He knew her ring size. Any small diamond would be fine with her, but it was important to my son to get her a diamond of a respectable size, color and clarity.

I pulled out my 0.63 ct E VS2 ring and a 0.42 ct J SI1 stud earring for a quick tutorial on carat, color and clarity. We inspected them from the top for size, and from the side for color. He loved the size of the 0.63 and he could see color in the J. He definitely wanted the diamond to be completely eye-clean. As a result, we targeted a modern round brilliant with ideal cut and a diameter as close to 5.5 mm as he could get. Color would be in the G-H-I range and clarity would be VS. The ring setting would be a Tiffany solitaire replica in 14kt white gold, but if funds remained, he wanted to upgrade to platinum.

She was out of town for only a few days, so he wanted to move quickly to be sure to keep his shopping a complete surprise. I previewed diamonds in his target range from my favorite vendors. Pickings were slim in his preferred range, having already been picked over for Christmas and New Year's Eve proposals. I eliminated Crafted by Infinity and Good Old Gold due to lack of viable prospects in our narrow target range, and ended up sending him to Whiteflash and Brian Gavin Diamonds. I noticed that near colorless SI1s were totally picked over, so it was just as well he preferred VS clarity.

He reviewed the diamond inventory and after several e-mails back and forth between us, he narrowed it down to a lovely 0.61 G VS2 Expert Selection from Whiteflash and a 0.61 H VS1 Brian Gavin Blue. He put both diamonds on hold and had discussions with the sales associates over the next couple of days. The G VS2 was just over budget, but we figured it was worth a call to see if Whiteflash could work with his budget. The H VS1 Blue came in right at budget. Comparison with a similar Brian Gavin Diamond Signature stone indicated, in this particular instance at least, a cost savings by going with a fluorescent stone.

His only concern with the Brian Gavin Blue was the very strong fluorescence, and whether his girlfriend would like it. He finally decided it was such a cool effect that he should proceed with getting that diamond. All that was left was to decide if the setting would have four or six prongs, and whether it should be 14kt white gold or platinum. Budget concerns dictated 14kt white gold, and he chose six prongs for additional diamond protection as well as the more classic Tiffany look. The order was placed and the wire transfer was sent.

The ring arrived 10 days later, and this period included the New Year's holiday. We inspected the ring and checked out the cool fluorescence. Brian Gavin Diamonds thoughtfully provided the disposable white cotton gloves that you see him wearing.

gloved.jpg

uv.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Brian Gavin Diamonds also sent along the vendor glamour photos of the ring.

glamourshot1.jpg

glamourshot2.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
He purchased insurance for the ring from our long-time family State Farm agent. Personal articles coverage for the ring was only $18, but since there was a minimum charge of $30 for the policy, he added his computer to the policy.

I advised him that a wise man would propose during the 15 day full money refund period offered by Brian Gavin Diamonds. He saw no reason to wait either, and proposed the following day. He came home from work on Friday evening, and bought some flowers and hid them in a bush at a near-by city park. He convinced her to go for a walk, and as they went into the park, he pulled the flowers out of the bush. She loves flowers but before she could figure out how he knew that they were there, he pulled out the ring box, popped it open and proposed. As I understand it, excitement, tears and general rejoicing followed. :bigsmile:

I got a chance to take some hand shot yesterday. My new DIL-to-be loves the ring and she thinks the fluor is a big plus. She currently volunteers with AmeriCorps and works with inner city immigrant children. She loves social work, and feels that this ring will fit in perfectly with her life style and her chosen career. She says she finds herself looking at the sparkle every day. :cheeky:

handshot_4362.jpg

ring_4356.jpg

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
It's beautiful!! Your son and future DIL are very lucky to have such a knowledgeable bling mama. ::) Congratulations to your future addition to your family!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I was pretty sure that the H color would be fine, but I finally got a chance to do some comparisons. Here is my 0.63ct E VS2 along with her 0.61ct H VS1 and a 0.42ct J SI1 both from the top and from the side. My E diamond is out of focus on the side shot, but clearly the H is quite colorless, especially when compared to the J. Going down in color is a wise choice when on a budget. :appl:

triotop_0.jpg

color_0.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
A couple more pictures here. My son holding the ring in the attractive oval wooden ring box from Brian Gavin diamonds. And a shot of me holding the ring near a window. My future DIL commented that she has noticed how bright the diamond looks. It certainly is picking up white light well in this photo.

Thank you for coming by. I really enjoyed getting to put my PS knowledge to use. Thank you, all, for your contributions to this forum. :wavey:

My son and future DIL are looking forward to comments. Have a nice day, everyone! :appl:

_3339.jpg

light_4366.jpg

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
So classic! Very nice. Congrats to them both :appl:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that diamond looks like a very nice size on her! She must have tiny fingers.

What a sweet mom/future MIL you are! I would have been thrilled if my MIL helped my DH propose with a Brian Gavin stone! :bigsmile:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my, this is why I love this site. Flygirl, you have me completely tearing up. Yes, the stone is lovely. Its whiteness and sparkle are so intense and beautiful. But being a Mom to sons, I love how lovingly you tell the story. I bet you wanted to be hiding in that bush too, especially after the journey you and your son went on to find the stone. Wow, what a great sendoff to married life by Mom - I wish I have half your ability and tenderness when and if my boys think of marrying. Oh, and I loved the practical Mom suggesting he proposed within the 15-day period!

You can tell them that this non-diamond lover would love to have that little piece of perfection in all its blue glowing glory!

:appl: :appl:

Efe

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful ring and lovely story. Congratulations to your son and future DIL. She is lucky to be getting a great guy and a great future MIL.

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
What a gorgeous ring! And thank you so much for sharing the mummy help and engagement story, it warmed my heart. :praise:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty. Congratulations to him.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love it! Now, I know I'm biased, as my original ering was almost identical in yg, the size being quite close, too, but, whatever! The fluor is just so cool! Would love to have that on my hand.
All the best to you and your family.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a wonderful story!! I loved how involved he let you be -and that he recognized he had an expert in his midst!! Beautiful diamond and the setting will always be a timeless classic look! Congratulations to all involved --- you're gonna be a MIL!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring is perfect! It looks like it was meant to be on her hand!

And what a lucky son you have, to have a mom like you to educate, guide and serve as a voice of experience and reason through this very emotional purchase. :appl:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful story - and such a beautiful ring! I love the look of a 6-prong solitaire - so timeless - and a BGD blue is something special indeed. A lifetime of happiness to your son and his wife-to-be!

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
The ring is absolutely perfect and beautiful!

Good job mom!

Congratulations to your son and his fiancé!

Cachette :))

blingymo

Shiny_Rock
The ring is so pretty - I love flourescence! You are so lucky to have such a close relationship with your son. My (almost) 22 year old says he is never getting married:( I hope he changes his mind, and I would LOVE to help him picking a ring! Kudos to you for raising such a sweetheart. Lucky girl to get him!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful choice!!! :love: :appl: Honestly, H color is just great because you don't see tint in it, and with fluorescence, it looks even brighter and whiter! Now you get to look forward to a wedding!!! :D So much fun ahead!

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
What a fantastic story! It was so good you got to help him along the journey!

And it looks fabulous. I must admit I am a big fan of the Blues! Congrats to them both!

Owies Nana

Shiny_Rock
Fly Girl,

I wish your son and future daughter-in-law great happiness. The ring is beautiful, and so is your family story. Maybe you will get to help your daughter-in-law when it is time for your grandson pick the ring for his girl in twenty-five years or so. :D

Congratulations to all!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
awww, this makes me so happy to read!!! Congratulations to your son and his FI :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :love: :love: :love: :love: gorgeous ring!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just beautiful!

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations to your family Flygirl, and what a sweet ring! Love the flour, I would have a hard time keeping my eyes off that :love:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh it's just beautiful!! :love: I don't see even a tiny hint of color in that stone, it looks really white! How great that you were able to help your son with this, you guys ended up choosing so well. Love those prongs too! Congrats and best wishes to everyone! :appl:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats to your son and his FI :!: beautiful classic ring... :love: :appl:

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
What a loving and generous mother in law to help with picking the stone... AND even nudging a proposal!!
A beautiful, classic choice.
I loved reading your story.

Congratulations to your son, his fiancee, and to both families.
:D

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
So sweet, congrats to them!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
A beautiful ring and a beautiful story -- what an excellent experience to share with your son and future DIL. I think you all did a fantastic job! :appl:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Aww, congrats! How lucky your future DIL to have a future MIL like you so that she got a great quality stone! It's gorgeous and your story was very sweet!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results