shape
carat
color
clarity

My ''Something Old''...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
My mom bought this for me as my Something Old and Something Borrowed...at the time it was borrowed and now she has given it to me. She got it at The Jewel Box somewhere local here, I think Cupertino.

She didn't know too much about it's history but noted that it was early 1900's I believe. It's gold and pearls, all the small sparkly areas that look somewhat like diamonds, are actually tiny pearls in graduating sizes.

I'm normally not a 'pin' person but it's a lovely piece. I may have it adapted into a necklace if I want to wear it more later. The next picture will be it pinned onto my dress the day of the wedding. After the ceremony was over, we used it to help pin up my train!
1.gif
Dual purpose.

vintagepearl.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
and here it is on my back right before the ceremony begins.

vintageonmara.JPG

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Oh, that's just lovely. So pretty and dainty!

KBerly

Brilliant_Rock
Mara, I just noticed this thread. The pin is gorgeous, and I am normally not a 'pin' person either! But as soon as I saw it, I envisioned it 2 ways for your necklace..one being set vertically, kinda like a 'drop' necklace, then the second being set horizontally, made as a choker type necklace (not too chokerish
1.gif
) But like Hest said, it is indeed dainty, and the detail work is beautiful. Go Momma! You both have great taste
16.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Adorable pin. Reminds me of a bracelet from the same period that my grandmother gave me when I was a young girl.

When you're thinking about getting it made into a necklace, bear in mind that antique jewelry loses much of its value when it's altered, even if the alterations aren't visible from the front. For example, if you update the old c-clasp of a Victorian brooch with a new, locking clasp, you immediately decrease the brooch's value. That might not matter to you, of course, if the point is to wear it, not to sell it.

One way to wear it unaltered would be as the clasp of a choker or bracelet--use it to pin a piece of velvet ribbon around your neck or wrist.

kkeen15

Shiny_Rock
Mara, you say you don't wear pins often. That made me think...do you wear the "diamond in the web" pin? lol, just curious! And btw is there a thread in existence that has pictures of people's DitW pins in use? That would just be cool to look at.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could this be destined to become a pearl enhancer? It is not clear how big the center pearl is, but the piece may look very nice on a string of pearls of about the same size... and this can be very fast done, I would think
2.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MP23.JPG

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
great idea val!! The pearl is not that big in the center but I actually prefer smaller pearls over larger ones..I'm not a large jewelry person (large e-ring coveting does not count!).

also no i dont wear the Pscope DITW pin unfortunately, I want to have it adapted into a necklace like winyan did, then I would wear it!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results