shape
carat
color
clarity

my sapphire to be set...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pvang712

Rough_Rock
I have a light blue oval sapphire that I am looking to set with diamond sidestones in white gold. I am having trouble deciding what shape of sidestone to get. If anyone has any photos, or ideas for sidestones that would look good that would be great!!!

Thanks alot

Pauline!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can''t post a picture, but I have an oval pink sapphire with oval sidestones. I hand picked the sapphire and hand picked the sidestones, I am picky about bow ties in ovals. It''s a beautiful ring.

pvang712

Rough_Rock
Thanks kaleigh! I am trying to decide between half moons, ovals and trillions (i''ve seen various spelling of that word, but the little triangle sidestones). I think I am leaning towards ovals.

Pauline

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it''s all about what kind of look you''re trying to achieve. Personally I like the idea of half moons, not something you see every day. Trillions would be more of a modern look IMO, but you can''t go wrong with ovals, just pick ones without bow ties. I think it''s a soft feminine look. Good luck and please post pics when you''re done. I''m working on the whole digital camera thing myself!!

lizzyd

Shiny_Rock
Hi Pauline,

I inherited an oval saphire ring from my grandmother. It was her engagement ring from Tiffany''s in 1926 (I have the original leather/gold embossed Tiffany ring box that came with it too). Anyway, the diamond side stones are beautiful and I think they would be called trapezoids. They kind of look like baguettes, set north-south, but the top and bottom of the stones taper just a little. I hope this makes sense, wish I had a pic.

Good luck.

LizzyD

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/2/2005 5:44:43 PM
Author: pvang712

I am trying to decide between half moons, ovals and trillions ...
If you can take a picture of the stone it is not too hard to "try out" different combinations on paper. Otherwise, perhaps the jeweler who will make the ring can show you a few options - this is standard procedure, as far as I know
2.gif

Of the three choices you mention, oval diamonds would be the smallest for any weight (and price) - the other two shapes are considerably larger. Aside this, it really is a matter of taste... and finger coverage: trillions are "long" compared to half moons - so trills would span the finger while the half moons frame a larger center better. These things really need to be seen in person, I think.

Just in case, there is a long list of side stone shapes and ring examples on this page. Worth investigating, IMO, if you haven''t already
5.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results