shape
carat
color
clarity

My Sapphire Roval! Should I re-cut the crown?

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
I am so in :love: love :love: with the color and overall shape of this stone! Purchased form a reputable dealer: unheated natural Sapphire, from Sri Lanka, 1.77 carats, a nice medium blue. There is some fine rutile silk that gives this baby a seriously electric glow. But one thing is buggin me...

The table lacks symmetry and shape-wise, overall it is slightly narrower on one end (think egg-shaped, very slightly, but still). Admittedly I have been spoiled with precision cuts! I am happy with the overall look but am wary about what to expect with a re-cutting of the crown and evening out the shape.

The vendor I contacted re: re-cutting says there will be ~10-15% weight loss, but he thinks he can keep it below 10%. From what I understand this weight loss will be mostly from the crown to correct the table, with minimal loss to even out the shape.

Has anyone else here had a stone like this re-cut to correct for symmetry?

Please advise!

Sapphire_Facets_IMG_6579_big.jpg

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Here is the table up close 8)

SapphireFacets_IMG_6579.jpg

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Would love to hear professional opinions too!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Personally I wouldn't touch it, but I'm not a precision cut nut and it's you that has to look at the stone.

What was the assessment on the possible change in saturation and colour of the stone? That would be far more of a worry to me than the loss of weight.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
THAT is one seriously beautiful sapphire, just look at that color !!!
To ME, it's perfect and I don't see a thing wrong with it, as a matter of fact.
It wouldn't bug me enough to recut it, please set it in a beautiful setting and enjoy it !!!
It's GORGEOUS !!!! :love: :love: :love:

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
I am a precision cut lover--and I wouldn't have this sapphire recut. It's a gorgeous color, and the possible negative effect on the color that is always a possibility with a recut would deter me. Just my opinion, but I wouldn't take the chance of spoiling the stone.

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Love in Bloom :)

I see no need to re-cut this gem. The proportions look good, no window that I can easily see, the smaller table has eliminated that if it had one. The polish looks good; and the color is exquisite...

So just my ole humble opinion; I think you did well and it needs nothing but a mount and to be placed on your finger :appl:

Any good bench-person should easily be able to make a head work or build one; that stone is worth the metalworking...

Most respectfully;

Dana

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Love in Bloom|1320652411|3055922 said:
Hi Love in Bloom,
What has happened here is when the sapphire was being cut, the line-up of the pavilion facets were not mated well with the crown facets. Hence, the appearance of not being aligned. Re-centering the facet arrangement may only lose 10% of total weight, as they will only be reduced on each facet tier by 2* or 3*.

However, it is unlikely that all of the 'star' facets that meet the table are of the same angle. This contributes to the crown/table area looking 'off-centered' from one side to the other.

If it was my piece, I would leave it alone. I hope you find this helpful.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Wow, what a gorgeous color that is! I love precision cuts too, but would not re-cut that stone for reasons stated above. Its wonkiness is so minimal that you see it only if you look for it -- and the color & wonderful saturation outshine lack of symmetry by miles & miles. I wouldn't risk losing any of the great qualities it has for a very small return.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
It looks lovely as it is, but if I think non-precision cut stones are lovely. The color is beautiful, there's no window, and the uneveness appears to only be noticable very close up.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DON'T CUT IT!!!! I'm pleading with you!! :( :( :(

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would also worry that you would lose some scintillation and color if you recut.

I guess the key question is can you live with it as is?

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is so beautiful, I would keep it as is.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
another plea to not cut it! you got a great stone....don't take a chance that a recut will ruin it!

accept the stone as it is......and perhaps consider not buying anything other than precision cut stones in the future if this one bothers you.

really, you did very well with this stone!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous stone!
But there really isnt any extra depth at all to work with, which is ok because that stone does not need a recut. With an unheated sapphire as lovely as your is shouldnt be difficult to learn to LOVE rovals.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nooooooooooooooooooo please don't touch it. Can you fall in love with its uniqueness?

Any recut has the potential to damage or change the overall look. Not every re-cut is successful. So, if you love it now please don't do anything.

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
mastercutgems|1320670566|3055987 said:
Love in Bloom :)

I see no need to re-cut this gem. The proportions look good, no window that I can easily see, the smaller table has eliminated that if it had one. The polish looks good; and the color is exquisite...

So just my ole humble opinion; I think you did well and it needs nothing but a mount and to be placed on your finger :appl:

Any good bench-person should easily be able to make a head work or build one; that stone is worth the metalworking...

Most respectfully;

Dana

Thank you Dana, I really appreciate your opinion on this! I want to wear it so badly I may just get a temp setting until I can figure out a more permanent home for it!

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Roger Dery|1320671107|3055994 said:
Love in Bloom|1320652411|3055922 said:
Hi Love in Bloom,
What has happened here is when the sapphire was being cut, the line-up of the pavilion facets were not mated well with the crown facets. Hence, the appearance of not being aligned. Re-centering the facet arrangement may only lose 10% of total weight, as they will only be reduced on each facet tier by 2* or 3*.

However, it is unlikely that all of the 'star' facets that meet the table are of the same angle. This contributes to the crown/table area looking 'off-centered' from one side to the other.

If it was my piece, I would leave it alone. I hope you find this helpful.

Hi Roger, I do find this helpful! I think I'll be happy with this stone as-is, especially because Jerry Newman (who I contacted about re-cutting the crown) pointed out that the main facets were split, which is in his opinion, "...unusual, but a nice touch with extra effort." If I understand that correctly, I think the overall shape formed by the junctions that split the mains align better with the perimeter of the stone.

I will not proceed with re-cutting the crown, however I am kind of sad about not getting to work with Jerry. He is so knowledgeable and patient!

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Pandora, ooo~Shiney!, Aoife, JewelFreak, pregcurious, TL, minousbijoux, LisaRN, movie zombie, VapidLapid –

Thank you all so much for your opinions and feedback. In my gut I was hesitant about re-cutting for the very reasons you all touched on: jeopardizing the display of color, scintillation, and possible introduction of the ever dreaded window. I love the roval shape and can live with the table. Besides, the color has my toes barely touching the ground :D

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love in Bloom|1320694063|3056224 said:
Besides, the color has my toes barely touching the ground :D

and that is what it is about! congratulations!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I'm so happy to hear you decided to keep it as it is! I have a spinel (in another post) that is also not a precision cut, but the color and clarity are what I fell in love with.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please be careful when wearing it while driving... :bigsmile:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG. I rarely post in CS but I just have to comment - that colour... it's electrifying. And it's giving me the shivers :love: :love: :love: :love:

My goodness, I'm so glad you've decided to keep it just as it is - it must be impossible to take your eyes off IRL!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know much about recutting colored stones, but I just wanted to say that I think the color is truly stunning, Love in Bloom!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I agree with all the others- a re-cut would be a crime against art!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I loooooooooooooooooooooooove it. Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :love: :love: :love:

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
movie zombie|1320696862|3056278 said:
Love in Bloom|1320694063|3056224 said:
Besides, the color has my toes barely touching the ground :D

and that is what it is about! congratulations!

Thanks Movie Zombie! :praise:

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
pregcurious|1320697900|3056290 said:
I'm so happy to hear you decided to keep it as it is! I have a spinel (in another post) that is also not a precision cut, but the color and clarity are what I fell in love with.

Pregcurious, your spinel is beautiful and SO RED; I can totally see why you love it! :love: :naughty: :love:

minousbijoux|1320716853|3056513 said:
Please be careful when wearing it while driving... :bigsmile:

Thanks Minousbijoux, I will try… :cheeky:

Yssie|1320720063|3056554 said:
OMG. I rarely post in CS but I just have to comment - that colour... it's electrifying. And it's giving me the shivers :love: :love: :love: :love:

My goodness, I'm so glad you've decided to keep it just as it is - it must be impossible to take your eyes off IRL!

Yssie!!! Thanks for coming over to look. Yup, it is very hard to leave this stone alone. I haven’t been on PS in ages, but your ring is unforgettable. Good luck on the new setting :sun:

Laila619|1320737365|3056663 said:
I don't know much about recutting colored stones, but I just wanted to say that I think the color is truly stunning, Love in Bloom!

Thank you Laila619 :praise:

Imdanny|1320738254|3056668 said:
I agree with all the others- a re-cut would be a crime against art!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I loooooooooooooooooooooooove it. Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :love: :love: :love:

Thanks Imdanny! No crimes here…. :bigsmile: :halo:

gsellis

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Re: My Sapphire Roval! I am not re-cutting the crown

Good, you made up your mind. So I don't have to jump on the pile too.

The color and the polish 'hide' what now, to you, looks obvious. With the exception of AmethystGuy, nobody else will notice it is slightly unique. And if they do, why are they so dang close. Don't they understand personal space?!? :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm SO glad it's not being recut. The colour is great and the cutting is actually a very good "native" cut. There's not only a slight face up size loss with a recut but also the saturation might be affected, plus who knows if any colour zoning might jump out.

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Re: My Sapphire Roval! I am not re-cutting the crown

George Ellis|1320804378|3057441 said:
Good, you made up your mind. So I don't have to jump on the pile too.

The color and the polish 'hide' what now, to you, looks obvious. With the exception of AmethystGuy, nobody else will notice it is slightly unique. And if they do, why are they so dang close. Don't they understand personal space?!? :)

LOL :D You are too funny, George Ellis!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results