shape
carat
color
clarity

My Sapphire and Diamond Halo Ring

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
It looks like a very pretty ring. Congratulations!

SapphireSun

Rough_Rock
Thank you Pregcurious!

Hi Chrono, just the person I was hoping would comment. Please don't feel badly...honestly, I still love my ring but I only wanted to know if I had any options. I wasn't prepared for the dismissive attitude as I just bought diamond earrings as well and have been talking about getting a wedding band to go with my ring! I am really disappointed that it wasn't included in the description as I have many many emails requesting specifics on the sapphire since I couldn't view it in person. I really don't think you changed my mind, but you definitely educated me to something that was unbeknownst to me...and with that information I started to think about it more... It was an expensive purchase, but I'm not going to look at it as a mistake moving forth. When I spoke to the gemologist he informed me that I should try to get a refund (because it wasn't disclosed and because I wasn't 100% satisfied), but I wasn't looking for a refund...just thought maybe I could exchange it for one without the distinction (I'll call it that moving forth as NSC was not happy with the term "extinction"). It has been almost a month since I've received the ring and since it was custom made I didn't have a return window (custom settings are non-refundable) per say, but if I wasn't completely satisfied with the sapphire I was told I could return it for a store credit. I also didn't appreciate being told that I loved the ring and that I'm only changing my mind now because of PS. It's like loving chocolate only to find out that it caused your diabetes and now your friends and family wonder why you don't love it anymore (poor hypothetical)! Ok, I'll wait to see how they handle this and then I'll move onward, possibly without them. I still believe that you have to be gracious, courteous and professional, especially in this field, and it was lacking in the response I received.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The reason I asked way back in the begining if you really wanted honest opinion is because I suspected that you have no recouse with the sapphire. There are no options open to you at this point unless you sell the stone yourself and buy a new one. At the end of the day, once the customer accepts the stone, he/she accepts whatever "flaw" or newly discovered aesthetics that crops up later. The vendor is under no obligation to exchange the stone once the return / review period has passed.

I do not know NSC's policy at all but if they promised 100% satisfaction and allows a store credit, then they should stand by their word. What I can say with surety is that NSC does not think well of PS nor the posters. Bringing that up is sure to get them defensive. Unfortunately, based on old PS reviews from prior NSC customers, NSC did not respond well to their customers and soured the entire transaction. I hope it goes better for you.

SapphireSun

Rough_Rock
Thank you Chrono, your wisdom is very much appreciated. This is my first sapphire purchase and I have learned quite a lot from Pricescope and this experience. Again, I absolutely love my ring...I even reiterated that in my email to NSC, all I wanted to know was if I had any options. It would have been nice to hear back with either a yes or no. There is no way I would sell my ring, I just have to decide if I would tell my future daughter-in-law (20 years from now I hope) about this half and half extinction. :)

snoopkat

Shiny_Rock
Hi SapphireSun,

I just saw your thread again and you mentioned in an earlier post about purchasing diamond earrings from NSC. Is the purchase finalised (i.e have you paid them the money)?

I want to add that I had initially refrained from posting about NSC diamonds because I didn't want my comments to negatively impact your feelings towards your ring, but since you have mixed feelings about your sapphire now then my concern is a moot point anyway. But more importantly, I cannot in good conscience see you post about your new diamond earrings without sharing my experience.

As I have mentioned in my previous posts, my e ring is also from NSC. I have 18 melee diamonds on the band that were advised as D colour (forgot the clarity). When I sent my ring to the appraiser, he had appraised the diamonds to be a G/H colour. A difference of 1 colour range I can understand but a 3-4 colour range difference is huge. Fortunately, they were only melee diamonds and did not affect the overall appearance of my ring and so I was able to get over this relatively quickly and I still love my ring. Would I buy another sapphire from NSC? Perhaps, if the price and colour was right. Would I buy any diamond jewellery from NSC? No. Go over to RT or SMTB and you'll find lots of recommended vendors for diamond earrings.

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't have a good response from them. I dealt with Livia Brode at NSC and she was very patient with all my queries and change of mind about the settings, perhaps you can try her if she wasn't the person you initially dealt with. Alternatively, you might want consider selling the ring on DB and getting another one made. As Chrono said, the 1/2 and 1/2 extinction might bother some but not others.

SapphireSun

Rough_Rock
Hi Snoopkat! So glad you wrote in because I definitely remember reading your post about your sapphire and the melees, in fact I had questioned Livia about your post and in typical fashion she did not respond directly to my questions, but insisted that they stand behind all of their stones as advertised. I have found throughout my dealings with NSC that the majority of responses were just like that, as with the half and half extinction. The responses glazed over my questions and were typical general statements such as, "evenly distributed." This is the main reason for wanting to know if I had any options because I truly felt that she was not very forth coming about it. I questioned my diamond melees on my halo as well because they were advertised as F VVS2, the highest quality melees I have seen advertised and I was simply assured they were just that. As for the diamond I purchased from them, let me start off by saying that I could have paid about a hundred or more less on Bluenile.com, but I went ahead with the purchase because they were making the setting and setting my engagement diamond for free as well. The diamond I purchased has an AIG certificate and is G VS2, ideal cut, symmetry and polish. However, she appraised my engagement diamond as F VS1 - the problem with that is at one point I had thought of selling it so I had taken it to some jewelers, including a certified gemologist (he was going to custom make the sapphire and diamond ring for me, but his estimates were too high) who not only appraised my diamond as VVS2 (.36ct), but also offered me $720 (the highest offer I got - lowest was $60 - cash for gold biz). I would think that he would have the better reason to appraise my diamond much lower in order to buy it at a lower price... I didn't mention that to her. I really hope my little diamond melees are what they are, but my diamond looks a lot whiter and when I asked her about it I never received a response back...I just chalked it up to the fact that these are smaller diamonds and the cut may be different?

They do offer a lifetime guarantee on their stones so maybe one day I'll get a second opinion, but you're right, they're so small it wouldn't matter that much, but at the same time I would be super mad if I found out they were G/H S11/2 (which is typical for diamond melees)!

As for the diamond earrings, if I didn't have the AIG report I would be very nervous about her appraisal skills. My husband says he can't see the difference between the two diamonds as they are bezel set, but I can see the warmer colors in the mate. Plus, I didn't want to pay a premium for the same quality diamond. I am also very happy with my earrings. I do think NSC is very competitively priced and they do offer some beautiful stones and settings (plus free upkeep). I would like to be able to continue to do business with them so hopefully I'll get a response on Monday.

SapphireSun

Rough_Rock
Just to be clear, I know I can be wishy washy, but I love my ring and I have no desire to sell it if I can't get a replacement for the sapphire. Silly me, but I really though that it would not be a big deal to exchange it. As for making mistakes, the biggest jewelry mistake I ever made was when I picked out $500 pearl earrings from Tiffany's as a push present...and then I wore it every day until I realized you can't do that with pearls! I do not have any regrets with my sapphire and diamond ring like I did with the pearl earrings!

snoopkat

Shiny_Rock
I took the liberty of looking up AIG over at RT and SMTB as it wasn't a lab I was familiar with. in those 2 subforums, the most commonly used and recommended labs are AGS and GIA. Granted I only did a cursory search and most of the info I found were several years old but it appears that the general consensus seems to be that AIG is not a popular/commonly used lab. Perhaps one of the expert PSers like kenny who's been here awhile can give their feedback on what they know about AIG.

My point is, given that your melee diamonds have already been appraised for lower than what they were advertised for, can you really trust NSC's certification on your diamond earrings? Out of curiousity, what colour grade did the gemologist assign your melee diamonds?

Having said that, what matters at the end of the day is you're happy with the earrings and you paid a fair price for them. One of the major things I like about NSC is their vast inventory and easy to navigate site. I'm not a big fan of having to email vendors to request for stones, if they have it then I'd like to see it on the site. I know it's a common practice amongst other CS posters and that's totally fine too, but I'm lazy and I like things within easy reach :cheeky:

If you truly want peace of mind, then post a photo of your earrings and stats on RockyTalky (they talk about the more techical aspects of diamond performance) and get some feedback. There is an amazing wealth of knowledge in PS and I learn something new every day (like how pearl earrings are not suitable for daily wear.)

SapphireSun

Rough_Rock
Hi Snoopkat, sorry for the delay in my repsonse...it was Father's Day and we were out all day, plus I was waiting for a response from NSC. I apologize, it is in fact an AGS report, I have insurance with AIG so maybe that's why it popped into my head. It is actually a very nice report, much more in depth then the GIA certificate which pretty much only stated the dimensions and weight. I would definitely get an AGL report next time. When my engagement diamond was appraised for purchase it was graded as E/F VVS2, and I was concerned he was grading it lower to buy lower. My husband purchased the diamond in France and it has been so long with so many moves that I do not know where the certificate is. However, we may stop by the jewelery store while in France so perhaps the original owner is still there and may look up my diamond.

I finally have a response from NSC (after emailling again) and yes they will issue me a store credit if I choose. However, I was again informed that there is no "half and half" in my stone and that I should have seen the stone in person as each person sees things differently. That was the gist of it, no pleasantries whatsoever. First, how wonderful it would be if there were lots of jewelers selling natural, unheated sapphires, but they make up only 5% of the market, so it's pretty difficult to find a local jeweler. I am sure I am not and will not be the first to buy a sapphire without seeing it in person first, isn't that why they have a website, to reach people from all over the world? I still, foolheartedly I suppose, expect the "expert" to honestly educate me on the sapphire I wish to purchase from them. And 2, it isn't as simple to purchase a sapphire, check it out and then pay for the return because you either didn't like it or because you do like it, but they have to set it for you. My main concern is that if she doesn't know of this "half and half" distinction due to cut then how good of a certified gemologist is she?? Really, if PSers can tell me about it and a certified gemologist in my city (I live downtown in a metropolitan city) can eplain the cut to me, why can't she? I don't buy her theory that we see things differently, unless we choose to ignore what is in front of us. I would send her an image of my ring going light on half of the stone, but I don't think it would change her mind. The reason why it didn't bother me that much in the beginning was because I was told that ALL sapphires have areas of lightness and darkness. I didn't know any better and thought, well this is what you get for buying an unheated/untreated sapphire - it's completely natural! I looked through their inventory and here is one that is very similar in size and carat, but the depth is smaller than mine which may cause windows? Let me know your thoughts on this? Here is the link: http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Blue/B4533/Oval/stoneid=B4533

It is graded as intense and from Thailand, mine was graded as strong, but some of you have suggested medium, and is from Ceylon Sri Lanka. Also, mine was less expensive.

I'm not sure I'll take the store credit, it would mean I would have to send back my ring, most likely on my own dime and then anything can happen to it. I am still happy with my ring and I still feel it's beautiful.

SapphireSun

Rough_Rock
Snoopkat, I forgot to mention that she had originally graded my diamond as G, but since I purchased a G from her even I can tell that it is warmer than mine. I think that's why it's in the appraisal report as F, but as VS1. You're right, I'm not so sure I can trust NSC with their appraisals. I wish you had brought up your diamonds not being as advertised with them. I think you still can as it does have a lifetime guarantee. Good luck!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SapphireSun|1340062375|3219042 said:
Snoopkat, I forgot to mention that she had originally graded my diamond as G, but since I purchased a G from her even I can tell that it is warmer than mine. I think that's why it's in the appraisal report as F, but as VS1. You're right, I'm not so sure I can trust NSC with their appraisals. I wish you had brought up your diamonds not being as advertised with them. I think you still can as it does have a lifetime guarantee. Good luck!

In house appraisals are not really recommended here. It's always better to get a neutral party to do a conservative estimate of the quality of your diamonds and other gems. Your ring is really lovely. Enjoy it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't understand how any vendor can do an in-house appriasal because there is a very clear and strong conflict of interest. How do I know if they are going to inflate the paperwork? It is always better to get it from a well qualified and experienced and neutral third party who is paid by you, not the vendor. This way, the appraiser is working for you, to protect your interest, not the vendor's.

If the sapphire in your latest NSC link is photographed to show its best colour, it doesn't look intense on my monitor. You should check out Arkteia's blue sapphire which is also untreated. To me, the saturation her stone is intense / vivid. But seriously, if you cannot exchange the stone, it's time to stop looking around NSC and wondering / comparing. There is no benefit to doing so at this point.

snoopkat

Shiny_Rock
I shall leave it to the other CS experts to give their feedback about the stone you've posted, what I know about blue sapphires isn't enough to fill a thimble.

I'm a bit confused with your 2nd post. Are you saying that you bought 2 G diamonds from NSC and one looks to be warmer than the other? I wouldn't go to an appraiser for an evaluation when they are also selling diamonds/gemstones due to conflict of interest. You really need to go to an independant appraiser to get a true value on what your diamond is worth (your insurance company might be able to make some recommendations).

The way I see it, you have 2 options right now. You either cannot live with the extinction and get another stone from NSC for a reset (you might want to go to their store for that to avoid repeating the same experience). But since you've already said you don't want to take the store credit nor sell the ring, then your only option left is to see the ring for what it is and enjoy it. Your daughter in law can come back to PS in 20 years time and learn about extinction. :cheeky:

You love the ring. End of story. Don't kill yourself looking at other stones that appear to be better if you're not prepared to get your ring reset. There's always going to be a better stone out there, just remember that every minute you spend looking for that 'more perfect' stone is one less minute you spend admiring your ring ;-)

As for my melee? I won't send it back because it honestly doesn't bother me. My sapphire is the star attraction, the melee is just supporting diamond dust. TBH, I forget most days that it's not a D until a post like this reminds me but it certainly hasn't stopped me loving my ring any less.

SapphireSun

Rough_Rock
Hi Snoopkat, this thread is getting long and my earlier post about my earrings may have gotten lost. I wanted to use my engagement diamond as an earring and had to purchase a mate to make a pair. I did not want to pay for a F VVS2 mate, so I settled for a lower grade and slightly smaller mate (price was still ridiculously high for .34 ct)!

Chrono, I was afraid that the sapphire I posted was too shallow and may cause windowing and it didn't have a nice point to it. I couldn't find another sapphire on NSC that was the right dimensions or of interest to me so I'm not going to take the store credit. I have also seen Arketia's sapphire, as well as others that were very intense/vivid. I can't recall the poster's name, but she had beautiful half halos with pear diamonds, I think, which was my favorite ring on PS. I think the round brilliant cut sapphires are intense and beautiful, but I like the plumpness of ovals. Maybe I'll change my mind on that too.

I'm so thankful that I found this site and have gotten so much out of it!

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to say sometimes "innocence is bliss". :saint:

Knowledge is a wonderful thing and I too have learnt a great deal from PS but as the others have warned you can get VERY FUSSY!!! :lol:

I just received my long-awaited red spinel (6 month layby) and when I got it in my hot little hand all I could see was the damn WINDOW! ;( But it is beautiful and the best I can afford so I'll have to learn to live with it...

I think you truly loved your ring and you were so happy with it to start with that you should simply live and let live. It IS a beautiful sapphire and as it only exhibits that symptom in certain lights - perhaps you could learn to ignore that?

Keep us posted on what you decide.

SapphireSun

Rough_Rock
HotPozzum, you literally took the thought out of my head, "ignorance is bliss!" I am going to keep my sapphire, my dilemma was more about the response from NSC and lack of acknowledgement about the half and half distinction. Seriously, if she had gotten back to me right away with an option to exchange it I would have realized immediately, as I have, that I didn't want to exchange it afterall.

I had not gone to their website to look for other loose sapphires until she had responded that I could return my sapphire for a store credit. I had requested that she help me by finding a similar sapphire without the distinction to exchange for mine. Anyway, perhaps I should have done that right away as well because then I would have realized that there wasn't one I wanted. :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some gemstones are cut with a pointed culet and some have a keel, depending on the design. Yes, that second sapphire is rather shallow and I see a window.

thekid98

Rough_Rock
Very nice ring. I'm considering a similar setting for an e-ring. Have you had any problems with the setting at all, loose diamonds, prongs that could snag, etc.?

SapphireSun

Rough_Rock
Thank you. I haven't had any problems whatsoever. I specifically requested the stone to be set low as I didn't want to bump or scrape the sapphire on anything and my prongs are rounded so it's quite smooth - no snags either.

SapphireSun

Rough_Rock
Hello!! Just wanted to post an update and to share my thoughts on finding that "perfect" sapphire! Well, 7 months later I still wake up, shower, brush my teeth, cook, eat, walk and go to bed staring at my sapphire ring! I haven't taken it off since I received it and I'm supposed to return it to NSC to have it cleaned, polished and re-rhodium plated, but I can't seem to let myself part with it. I've also come to appreciate that the size of the melee diamonds are just right. It's true that the star should be the sapphire and not the diamonds, but sometimes we think we always need more! I've decided that when I upgrade my wedding band it will have the bling! There's still the "distinction" there that reminds me of how silly I was about it, but it's part of the charm and beauty now. I've read so many newbie posts on finding the "PERFECT" sapphire and all I can say is, it's like finding your perfect partner in life. You may think you've found that perfect someone, but most likely that person is perfect only to you. Once you set a budget, stick to it! One of the joys I get out of my sapphire is that it didn't cost me a lot! I stayed under budget and realized that being able to afford trips, dining out, my children's wants and SAVING make me happiest, not the size of my ring. Flaws are only what you want to see. A natural, unheated and untreated sapphire is rare and beautiful so to expect perfection seems a bit overzealous. I promise you, no matter what natural blue sapphire you give or receive it will be cherished because of the sentiment behind it, not the size, not the color, not the shape or cut. Good luck on your hunt because that's the wickedly fun part, just don't stress about it!

The photos show my bezeled diamond earrings from NSC (one is my ER diamond). I love them and also wear them everyday. Cheers!

img_466.jpg

img_468.jpg

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock
It's a gorgeous ring and I love the bezel earrings. Congratulations! It's nothing like being happy and loving what you have. I bought a 1 ct diamond solitaire ring for an amazing price and it has an inclusion that you can see if you hold it at certain angle but I look at is as a way to distinguish my diamond from others. So when I need to have it cleaned, sized or anything at the jewelers, I can tell it hasn't been switched out. Honestly nothing is perfect as you have said and its great to hear that you are having a hard time parting with your ring. I am truly glad that with all that went on, in the end it still makes you smile :) BTW, sapphire is my birthstone and I absolutely adore your ring. It's just lovely. Its a classic design that will always turn heads. Keep enjoying your beautiful pieces. I have a PPF ring with sapphire and diamonds and after a year of wearing it, I still get up and look at it in the morning. Then I'm off to my SAHM duties. Diamonds and diapers, you can never have too many of either ;-)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If we all had unlimited budgets, we''d all buy perfect stones but there really isn't any that is 100% perfect. It is all a matter of getting the best within our budgets, which is what you've done. Now....where are the ear shots? :naughty:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have always thought your ring was beautiful. I love your earrings too! In the end it is all about what pleases your eye and your heart. PS members are great because they can tell you what the gold standard is in any gemstone. We take that knowledge and use it to determine what we want, what we can afford and what treatments we are willing to accept in our gemstones.

SapphireSun

Rough_Rock
Thank you CharmedOne! I too am a SAHM and potty training is the best time to admire my ring while I'm waiting for "it" to happen! :)

Chrono - exactly! I will get that ear shot in one day!

LisaRN, Thank you! I loved everything I learned on PS and all the great comments I got. It can be very overwhelming and an anxious time when one expects to find that perfect sapphire, sometimes you fall in love when least expected!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi SapphireSun- I just read your thread and am so pleased for your happy ending! I love your sapphire ring and your earrings! The ring is a beautiful blue and I can see why you love it!! :love: Continue to wear it in health and happiness!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is absolutely gorgeous!!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This was a sleeper thread for me. It suddenly dawned on me that you came back and reopened this thread just to provide us with an update. How incredibly thoughtful! And the coolest part? You still love your stone! I have bought many stones that I thought would be "lifers" and within a few months they no longer rocked my world. The fact that you have seen it shall we say "for better and for worse" and still stick by it is Yayyyyyy!!! That is the way its supposed to be. I have had many beautiful stones that turned out not to be true love but just a fling... :blackeye: ...and they have gone to the next loving home where hopefully true love will be found by all. :praise:

But I love a happy ending, and it seems that you have found your true love - twice!

This thread is especially helpful to those new to colored stones who may be sorting out what they like. I wouldn't be surprised if periodically, this thread resurfaces as those looking for stones have questions for one who has successfully found their holy grail :bigsmile:

SapphireSun

Rough_Rock
Hi Minousbijoux! Thank you for your post! I am the monogamous type, but I can't say that I will never fall in love with another sapphire, especially if I find myself with a much bigger budget (perhaps 25th Anniversary)! Here's to hoping people won't buy ovals (in fear of the half and half :Up_to_something: ) as I'll need a great deal for another one! I have a "fantasy" of turning my diamond halo sapphire into drop earrings one day! I stand in front of the mirror and hold my ring up to my earlobe, and oh my, it looks heavenly!!! :appl:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SapphireSun|1358393446|3357501 said:
I have a "fantasy" of turning my diamond halo sapphire into drop earrings one day! I stand in front of the mirror and hold my ring up to my earlobe, and oh my, it looks heavenly!!! :appl:

You go, girl! :devil:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results